Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your earliest Opup?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Well over 10 years ago, when I was Gold, I had a string of op-ups to and from Narita. But only, only ever on tickets I’d bought myself. I was living/working in Japan, but flew back to the UK and US for work reasonably frequently in J. They were never upgrade (except when the ‘buy a full fare J and be upgrad to F one way offers were running). On the odd occasion I was coming back for personal reasons I’d only ever book economy tickets...but three times in a row I was bumped up to WT+, once a few days before the flight. One of those three I was then bumped up to J at the gate

Most recently, as a silver, a couple of years ago flying to Tobago on a BA holidays package I’d booked in WT+, and tried to upgrade to J using avios. I was only able to upgrade the return, but when we checked in at LGW, we were upgraded anyway. And I’d tried one last time the day before departure to upgrade, with avios (they quoted a silly price for cash), and been told there was no availability ��
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Probably had about 20 in total over the last three years. Never on check in, generally after check-in closes, once or twice a couple of hours before (once for an aircraft change, once about 30 minutes before checkin closed but I wasn't yet at the airport - no idea why).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Only had one but it was a double. LHR to IAD, WT to WT+ at check-in then up to J at the gate. Had just turned silver so a nice gift to receive!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
I’ve had 3/4 where a few days before OLCI, my seat number is in a higher class but I cannot see it on the MMB function or change it. See the seat through SeatGuru.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
At OLCI the day before (change of aircraft out of BOS to high-density business configuration).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've never had any before actual check-in at the airport, although my OH had one at OLCI many years ago. Having said that, my most recent one, due to an aircraft change had two seats blocked in CW which turned out to be our opup - and that was 7 days before the flight!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
4 opups in about 5 years. First 3 as blue, last one as Bronze

NRT - LHR at check-in in 2014 (WT > WTP)
JFK - LHR at the gate in 2014 (WT > WTP)
CNS - HKG at check-in in 2015 (CX flight, WT > WTP)
ORD - LHR in 2017 on my way to the airport seat number changed on my iPhone (WT > WTP).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
About 24-30 hours before OLCI opened. I had a message in MMB that said I had been upgraded to First "for a more comfortable flight" or words to that effect.

I was flying to GRU so was a nice surprise. May have happened shortly after I achieved GGL status.

The other OpUps in recent years have been at the gate.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
According to my notes I've had 13 OpUps from 298 BA flights, a mix of all classes in SH/LH. Last one almost 8 years ago! As far as I can recall all were at airport check-in, lounge or at the gate, none earlier than that.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Once at OLCI, once at the airport Check-in. The latter was my first flight as a GGL about 3 years and was my first ever BA op-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.