Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ORC for same-day change on AA, with downgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORC for same-day change on AA, with downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by navylad
By your logic, anyone who requested change to an earlier flight would automatically be entitled to the higher TPs and this simple is not the case, the OP has been awarded the correct TPs for the flight they took at their choice.

I refer you to the AA guide on ORC FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd), clearly voluntarily taking SDFC means that even in AA’s own programme you get the miles for the flight that is actually flown.

Concealing the fact that it was a voluntary change in my opinion is wrong and demonstrates insight.
The AA guide that you quote is from what I can tell not from the terms and conditions of AA's program(me)? And even if it were, it's not a set of T&C provided by BA.

In general I think voluntary vs. involuntary is a gray area at times because SDFC introduces some flexibility on AA bookings, but you've still paid for the higher class of service. There are scenarios where you see that your later flight is showing a large delay, and you speak to an agent, and they suggest moving you to an earlier flight. Is that voluntary simply because you were proactively avoiding a problem rather than waiting to be reactive when an involuntary situation arrives?

We often advise people when writing letters to BA to be as concise and to the point as possible given that people tend to be overly emotional and no one from BA wants to read the extra detail. Simply stating that an AA agent moved the OP to another flight is one way to just get to the point without stating intent or opinion, and allows AA to decide if they think ORC should be awarded or not. Because the OP paid for the higher class of service, I don't see a moral flaw in seeking ORC, in part because I don't believe I've ever seen clear terms and conditions explaining what should happen in this scenario.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dylanks
AA does things a lot differently in that in many ways they sort of take the mindset of selling you passage first and then charging a premium for traveling in more comfort. They're often surprised when I ask about same day flight change and that I only want to accept an earlier flight if I stay in my higher class of service.
This is indeed a very useful cultural nugget of difference between flying in the UK/Europe/ROW and flying in the US. I have noticed it too. As with many cultural differences between the UK and the US it is quite subtle and not obvious at first.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dylanks
The AA guide that you quote is from what I can tell not from the terms and conditions of AA's program(me)? And even if it were, it's not a set of T&C provided by BA.

In general I think voluntary vs. involuntary is a gray area at times because SDFC introduces some flexibility on AA bookings, but you've still paid for the higher class of service. There are scenarios where you see that your later flight is showing a large delay, and you speak to an agent, and they suggest moving you to an earlier flight. Is that voluntary simply because you were proactively avoiding a problem rather than waiting to be reactive when an involuntary situation arrives?

We often advise people when writing letters to BA to be as concise and to the point as possible given that people tend to be overly emotional and no one from BA wants to read the extra detail. Simply stating that an AA agent moved the OP to another flight is one way to just get to the point without stating intent or opinion, and allows AA to decide if they think ORC should be awarded or not. Because the OP paid for the higher class of service, I don't see a moral flaw in seeking ORC, in part because I don't believe I've ever seen clear terms and conditions explaining what should happen in this scenario.
I completely disagree on every point that you have made in this post. There is no gray area in this case as you claim from the information provided, there is obvious intent in the way that the letter has been written and it is not to have brevity and both BA and AA do not given ORC when you change your flight to meet your own needs.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by navylad
I completely disagree on every point that you have made in this post. There is no gray area in this case as you claim from the information provided, there is obvious intent in the way that the letter has been written and it is not to have brevity and both BA and AA do not given ORC when you change your flight to meet your own needs.
Per AA's Terms and Conditions ( https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp ), the only relevant statement that I see is: "On American Airlines and other AAdvantageŽ airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantageŽ mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed."

To me this seems to make it very explicit that AA uses the fare basis at the time you are ticketed. Do you interpret this to mean that a downgrade (voluntary or involuntary) changes this condition by changing the ticket? I'm not a lawyer, but that's now how I interpret this wording. I've not had a chance to look through the official BAEC terms to see if their statement covers this scenario, but if you see something in the official terms and conditions please let me know.

Edit: The above of course is about AA crediting to AA, but I'm assuming that AA applies the same criteria when applying credit to BAEC.
IFE Wizard and megaloman like this.

Last edited by dylanks; Feb 6, 2019 at 5:34 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Reporting back: I got the TP credited today. That's 70 TP closer to my gold renewal I didn't have before.

A politely worded email was all it took. Thanks to dylanks for the template as it made sure I had every relevant detail.
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by jerub; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: s/70/70 TP/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.