Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BKK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

LHR-BKK

Can anyone give me an update on the above route,are BA still using their oldest aircraft on this route.I have choice of either BA or a SE Asia carrier(EVA) for a Business class ticket.
From everything I have read in the past ,BA is to be avoided on this route if prices are equal and if one has a choice.
Thanks for any help
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Just about any other airline is a better bet on this route. Tired, tatty unrefurbed 777-200s. Avoid if at all possible.

Try Qatar or Cathay.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
They are brutal planes.
One toilet has been down on my last 2 trips & AVOD often goes down although the selection is so old that it hardly matters.
Choice of meal often runs out as well but it's the cheapest business seat on that route plus a lot more Europeans & Thais now seem to be using LHR as a hub
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's a leisure heavy route with a lot of competition, so there's not that much money to be made on it. Money pays for new aircraft.

If you've got the spare time, go via SIN or HKG on the A380 for a 21st century experience.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by CeeGee
Can anyone give me an update on the above route,are BA still using their oldest aircraft on this route.I have choice of either BA or a SE Asia carrier(EVA) for a Business class ticket.
From everything I have read in the past ,BA is to be avoided on this route if prices are equal and if one has a choice.
Thanks for any help
Even if BA used its newest aircraft (if you eg. routed via HKG), EVA would still be much much better!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
There are often 777’s on this route that are about 9 years old! Does this count as old? I know that they don’t have a great IFE system but 9 years is not old.
I also know that there are 777’s on this route that are double this age.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by CeeGee
I would agree with this statement, except that the BA flight times are good for me, I prefer leaving LHR early as possible and arriving into Bangkok in the morning. Though if I can spare another day I would rather go via HKG and continue on a morning CX flight.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I do this route often, and to be honest I think people are being over-sensitive about bashing every aspect of it. BA is not best to be avoided, and I find my experiences better than e.g. TG.
Yes, the IFE is about a million years old, but other than that the seats are the same and I am generally happy with the service in J. Cannot speak about Y or W though. Cannot comment on EVA either, as the only time I was booked on them, their inbound from TPE was so delayed that I would have missed my connection in LHR - they rebooked med on TG direct to my final destination instead.

Personally, I would (and continue to do so) go with BA.
Sealink and THEOBCMAN like this.

Last edited by SKT-DK; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:12 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:09 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I do this route a minimum of once a year and yes it will be a tired 77....However, I have GUF's, 2 4 1 Amex and Jokers to use. I could route via KUL or SIN I know but really want to get from A2B asap so choose this route. Even Joker availability is scarce 6 months out so plenty of people are booking it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
Did it recently in CW and it is indeed on a par with the Bucket and Spade 777’s operating from LGW, not the worst flight I’ve ever had, but by no means the best. On the outbound I was travelling with friends who had already booked, so was pretty much restricted to this route. Coming back I routed myself via Singapore. Did a lovely stretch to SIN from BKK in business on a brand new Cathay A350,and then back to LHR on the A380 after some time in both the BA and Qantas Lounges in SIN.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
I fly to Bangkok 4 times a year and I always prefer to do LHR-KUL-BKK
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
There are often 777’s on this route that are about 9 years old! Does this count as old? I know that they don’t have a great IFE system but 9 years is not old.
I also know that there are 777’s on this route that are double this age.
It’s not about the age of the aircraft itself per se, it’s more the fact that the interiors have not been refurbished on the LHR 3-class 777s yet.

Many of the older 777s (4-class) have been refurbished and are looking as good inside as the much newer 77Ws.
Grande Annee and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I fly this route almost every other month, and BA would be the last carrier on my list.

I'll usually fly Cathay or Qatar for OW. I will happily take a layover instead of flying direct with BA.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:58 am

Is there any indication at this time as to whether these aircraft are going to be refreshed at any stage? (I have a redemption using a Lloyd’s voucher coming up next September so I suppose a bit of a vested interest- hoping some availability to HK/ KUL/ SIN opens up before I go though so I can switch!)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:12 am

I just flew in to Bangkok in CW last saturday. The Aircraft was so Old and the IFE was horrible. But i Must say Food and Crew where the best i Ever had. I got. my First Personal greeting by the CSD a very nice gesture. The Crew Member was very Service minded. Yes QR would be much better But i survived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.