Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold for 4379USD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

Absolutely true and ultimately it’s all a matter of personal choice.

My own view is that your path to Gold does strike me as an expensive way to buy lounge access.
But I do not fly to get lounge access actually. When I fly C or F I have access anyway. The hobby is to fly and use lounges and collect Avios for future upgrades to F and also RFS tickets til LHR. So for me, having a BA Gold gives me double Avios and better seat selection on LH flights. When I fly to LHR it is only 2h flight and then I usually fly Y, and then I get the benefits of the status of course.

My wife also do not see the point, but she lets me fly on these trips and sometimes she joins. I also collect about 400.000 Eurobonus points every year through credit cards, car rentals and other activities that generates Eurobonus, but I never fly with them (*A) on revenue tickets. For me the value of BA Gold is so much higher that a gold card with for example SAS. But I use my Eurobonus points on trips on F with Thai, Lufthansa, SQ and Asiana where they have really good value.

So for me is this a good mix, 2 trips with *A in F/C every year on Eurobonus points (Amex CT) and flying on OneWorld (BA, AY, AA and QR) for building the status to Gold And in the meantime collect more Avios for future trips.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ TravelManBiz - thanks for the honest, detailed reaction.

As I said earlier, we all make our own choices and if it works for you, then all is good I guess. Perhaps it’s because, in a former life, I had to travel so much for work reasons that I personally don’t regard hours spent on a plane as undiluted fun in the way you appear to.

Safe travels .......... and, hey, at least your wife and I are in agreement
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

£0

Lifetime Gold 😉
LTN Phobia and JessicaTam like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think the OP is talking about getting gold by paying. Obviously, if you have a job that allows you to fly frequently long-haul then it will be free or nearly free.

... and if you have one of those jobs then I shall be eternally jealous (but in a nice way!)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
This is a useful thread! It gives me a clue as to what's achievable with a bit of time and effort. I would probably never get Gold for the circa £2k that seems to be most common so far as my hobby is about trying new OW airlines whilst earning TP as an added benefit. I've had some good deals but not necessarily bargains.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Obtained last year for £2100.

Did two returns; JER - PHX and OTP - PDX.
That's impressive and well planned ^
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
That's impressive and well planned ^
I booked the OSL-LAS promotion in September 2017 and flew in Easter 2018. I paid around 1300£ for 1020TP ( JFK-LAX) was in A class on the A321T. And combined with Qatar to SIN in C for around 1300£ That made 1600TP in total for 2600£. Not so bad also in my opinion. I really enjoyed the A321T in F combined with AA First Class Dining and I also had the AY A350 between LHR and HEL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.