Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flyafk
How about 1A vs. 5A, for a first time solo traveler, if
Row 2 is taken?
Hi,

I would go for 1A ( if available as it will be blocked for gold until around T-72) over 5A

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by grantsteve
This is interesting for someone like me who has their first First coming up in a few months. I'm travelling with my wife (neither of us have any status) and we've got 2AK reserved but I've got a reminder set to check row 1 availability when it opens up for the plebs.
Not sure it ever does at least not in all circumstances. I flew back on BA 217 recently and I had reserved 2K but when I checked in at T-22ish neither 1A nor 1K was available but the rest of the cabin was other than 2A was. When I boarded there was only two folks in the cabin. Me in 2K and somebody else in 2A. The rest of the 14 seat cabin was empty. The FA let me move up to 1K so I was able to check that box. But it seems BA doesn't necessarily release the seats.

That said after flying 2K out and 1K back I agree with most others here that at least travelling alone row 2 is better but I am glad I got a chance to check the 1K box so to speak.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I like 2K as I am right handed, so the window shelf is naturally to my right :-)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
My personal view is that 1A/K can remain special, but that doesn’t mean you have to always go for them.

If your travelling as a pair, row 1 is ideal, if your travelling solo, row 2 gives you more space. But either will be fine in all honesty.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I like row 3, an understated row in my humble opinion and which is blocked from view by the front of the block at seats 4 E/F and is a bot forward from the row 4 seats. However, I agree if travelling as a pair then row 1 is very good and still gives a bit of a forward view.

I'm usually well down the back though so any J seat or any F seat is a real treat for me
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I just had my first 747 1a experience to Capetown and certainly was surprised how close 1k was. Lol
Besides a great conversation with Mr 1k that I had half the flight... I realized it is great if you travel with your partner .. As well.
I will still always go for 1a as a solo traveler because it gives you a unique privacy feeling as you don't feel part of the cabin. You do look out to the front.. On both sides and if you are leaned back in your seat have privacy.
So I had a very private feeling up there with the closet to share between 1k and me.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I have 1A on the 747 next week - went for it as 1) 2AK were taken and 2) Might as well tick the box once.

I am travelling alone, so the other caveats of course will apply. I may even put a seat alert in EF for 2AK although there's something nice about 1A on the BP

Didn't know about the lack of overhead locker though - that actually is a tad annoying.

But as it's a home leg flight from JFK it's not like I'll need to be in and out of my bag much anyway so probably no biggie.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Very helpful for the question I just posted in a white-haired thread. Thanks all.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
This thread has kinda got me thinking... Mrs Geemac and I are out to DEN later this year and she can't get into 1K as a non-gold. We're currently seated in 1A and 2A, hoping that 1K remains open until T-24. Since we're both more than likely to stick the headphones on and tend to be incommunicado for long haul flights, 1A/2A is fine. Just wondering people's opinions on row 4/5 centre pairs - who would go for them over single seats and why.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GeeMac
Just wondering people's opinions on row 4/5 centre pairs - who would go for them over single seats and why.
As a couple, we'd now pick 4EF or 5EF if the only alternative would be to take single seats that were separated from each other. I think that any logical combination of single seats would be preferable to the centre pairs.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Row 1 is for inexperienced travelers--- really
As a couple of gold card holders who have tried row 4 and now always go for 1 a and 1k because we find it easier to communicate.. Nothing else.
GeeMac likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GeeMac
This thread has kinda got me thinking... Mrs Geemac and I are out to DEN later this year and she can't get into 1K as a non-gold. We're currently seated in 1A and 2A, hoping that 1K remains open until T-24. Since we're both more than likely to stick the headphones on and tend to be incommunicado for long haul flights, 1A/2A is fine. Just wondering people's opinions on row 4/5 centre pairs - who would go for them over single seats and why.
Same here for me and Mr JtO on a PHX flight in September - we've tried various middle pairs in various aircraft over the years but have decided we just prefer to be in individual window seats. We buddy dine for the first meal and then do our own thing for the rest of the flight anyway - why give up the view (and control of the blinds!) for that? Plus the 1A/2A combo also protects us from ending up on opposite sides of the aircraft in the unlikely event of an equipment swap away from the 747.... ;-)
GeeMac likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Seems like I am in a minority. Normally I am travelling alone and prefer row 1 over row 2 on the 747. The seat in row 1 is perfectly adequate for my needs and have had no problems with privacy even when the other person in row 1 had boarded when tired and emotional.The big advantage is that nothing is in front of you.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Globaliser
As a couple, we'd now pick 4EF or 5EF if the only alternative would be to take single seats that were separated from each other. I think that any logical combination of single seats would be preferable to the centre pairs.
Mrs P and I did our babymoon a few years ago starting out with flights in 747 F and we had 4EF IIRC. I seem to remember we could have had window, one behind the other, but opted for being able to lower the divider and talk.

Of course what really happened is that this lasted until the food came then we both picked different movies and vegged out. But it was nice to know it was an option ;-)

Didn't try the dining together option I don't think. Can't remember why - maybe she was by that point preferring to put her feet up on the stool or something. Not had the opportunity to try that since.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
When traveling as a couple, if one of the seats in row 2 was unavailable, I would opt for the 2A/3A tandem or the 2K/3K tandem vs the horribly exposed 4E/F pair and utilize buddy dinning for mealtimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.