Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting through China twice on route to SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting through China twice on route to SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Originally Posted by CCayley
So long as your passport/citizenship is from one of the approved countries (e.g. the UK) you should be fine, based on the itinerary you set out in your OP. The key thing isn't doing this twice within a few weeks (which as far as I know is fine) but to make sure your visits are transits - i.e. the country you fly to when you leave can't be the one you flew in from. Your post suggests you'll be flying UK - China (Shanghai) - Australia - China (Beijing) - UK so you meet this requirement.

If you have any problems my bet would be on these arising in Australia or the UK, not China (where you may encounter one or more long queues but no worse than that). Make sure you bring evidence of your onward ticket in both cases and tell the check in person you are merely transiting in China, so they look at the right set of rules. I had to do this at the Cathay Pacific desks in Hanoi and after a quick check with a supervisor all was fine. I would expect your experience to be similar.
You are correct in your assumption - UK passport and I will be flying LHR to PVG to SYD to PEK to LHR.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by thepinkponce

You are correct in your assumption - UK passport and I will be flying LHR to PVG to SYD to PEK to LHR.
You will have no problem and the immigration process is usually smooth and fast. China has changed a lot.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:47 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by moondog
You can do it as often as you please.
and you dont mind the horrendous queuing and inefficiency of Beijing/Shanghai and some other major Chinese airports. Plus then there is the recording of your iris, fingerprints (all ten) and voice print!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
You will have no problem and the immigration process is usually smooth and fast. China has changed a lot.
Indeed it has changed a lot. Both Beijing and Qingdao have become a infuriatingly inefficient s*&thole of an airport. Avoid at all cost!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The transit visa counter is of no use for people who intend to transit without visas.
That's still pretty much how it is labelled, as I recall.

More of a "get transit visa [ permission ] here" than "come here if you already have a transit visa".

Still, there are three sets of counters at immigration, however they are labelled:
  • Transit without visa
  • Visa, of any type
  • Diplomat, APEC, and other specials

The middle one can't handle TWOV, so go to Diplomat if there is no transit counter open.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Am I correct in thinking that the flights must be on the same booking, I.e. LHR-PVG-SYD? I’m quite sure two seperate bookings would not be permissible without a visa because the first airline would not be aware of your second leg and couldn’t allow you on the aircraft? May be wrong about that but it was certainly my impression and recently had to arrange a trip to China and In such a way.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA0197
Am I correct in thinking that the flights must be on the same booking, I.e. LHR-PVG-SYD? I’m quite sure two seperate bookings would not be permissible without a visa because the first airline would not be aware of your second leg and couldn’t allow you on the aircraft? May be wrong about that but it was certainly my impression and recently had to arrange a trip to China and In such a way.
Flights DO NOT need to be on the same booking. In fact, you can go to or leave from Shanghai by ship or international train, if you please.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Flights DO NOT need to be on the same booking. In fact, you can go to or leave from Shanghai by ship or international train, if you please.
Stand corrected and noted for further use! Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
We did similar for Christmas - flew HKG-PEK return CX reward booking, with a nested QF PEK-SYD(-AKL) booking in between. We had 12hr layover on the outbound, and overnight layover on the inbound. No problems with immigration either end.

Not sure about PVG, but in PEK you need to look for the counter that says "24/144hr International Transfer (Apply for leaving the airport)" - the desk is opposite gat E13 in PEK. Pick up one of the blue landing cards (you won't need the orange one they usually hand out on the flight), fill it in and go to the counter, they will check and issue a stamp/sticker into your passport. You then proceed through normal immigration channel to get landside.

I would advise printing out the eticket receipt for your onward booking, and the TIMATIC rules, and have them handy at checkin for your first (LHR-PVG) leg in case they question the lack of visa at checkin.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by flatlander
That's still pretty much how it is labelled, as I recall.

More of a "get transit visa [ permission ] here" than "come here if you already have a transit visa".

Still, there are three sets of counters at immigration, however they are labelled:
  • Transit without visa
  • Visa, of any type
  • Diplomat, APEC, and other specials

The middle one can't handle TWOV, so go to Diplomat if there is no transit counter open.
In Shanghai the desks are labeled 24/144 hour visa, IIRC.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:29 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As kindly indicated by KARFA, there is an extensive thread on TWOV in our China forum.

As the discussion here now has nothing to do with BA, we’ll close this thread and would ask that further contributions are made there.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.