FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ask the staffer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949283-ask-staffer.html)

higham44 Mar 18, 2024 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 36089195)
I would stop short of saying it’s a requirement but it is strongly encouraged by the management team.
On long haul there’s generally time to do it.
On short haul you might find 30+ Golds on a GVA, for example, and it’s simply impractical to walk up and down saying hello to each one, especially as the SCCM is key in delivering the CE service.
That being said we’re consistently told that it’s something Gold and above Exec members value, so any decent SCCM will do it when they can - time/service permitting.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case re time on short short-haul or heavily GCH/GGL populated flights (e.g. SOF), but on longer short-haul flights (e.g., ACE, etc, of four hours or so) that might give the opportunity.

flatlander Mar 18, 2024 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 36074039)
Once you've completed your first three or so months and master bidding for your trips/days off, you'll *generally* be able to make your roster work for you and your preferences, although you will have to maintain both shorthaul and longhaul licenses.

Is part of maintaining the license to fly on the type every so often to remain current, so you (for example) can't fly long haul all the time because of that, but instead have to fly on an A320 series sometimes?

MFCC Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 36090198)
Is part of maintaining the license to fly on the type every so often to remain current, so you (for example) can't fly long haul all the time because of that, but instead have to fly on an A320 series sometimes?

Yes - all LHR based CC maintain licenses on the A320 series and the 787/777; plus either the A350 or the A380.
All crew must maintain a short haul license and so must stay recent on the A320, and so they cannot fly long haul *all* the time.
However, the rules are fairly flexible and so most of the time you can achieve your preferences. For example, 1 there and back (1 day trip) every three months would be enough to maintain legal recency on the A320. Whether it’s enough to maintain familiarity with the service routines etc is debatable, but BA does not impose any limits above the legal minimums.

flatlander Mar 18, 2024 3:18 pm

I see, thanks for the explanation!

hsmall Mar 31, 2024 7:07 am

On two fights to and from DUB from LCY last week I saw a guy with a name badge designating him as, so far as i could read - I didn't want to stare, a "trainee manager". Does that mean that management trainees are sent forth to be regular cabin crew for a bit to learn life at the coal face? if so, good!

exploring_george Mar 31, 2024 8:41 am

Originally Posted by hsmall (Post 36123817)
On two fights to and from DUB from LCY last week I saw a guy with a name badge designating him as, so far as i could read - I didn't want to stare, a "trainee manager". Does that mean that management trainees are sent forth to be regular cabin crew for a bit to learn life at the coal face? if so, good!

not 100% on ba trainee manger scheme. However, if your on the BA graduate scheme. As a part of that scheme one of placement that you undertake, is a stint as cabin crew amongst plamcents within the business.

EJetter Mar 31, 2024 8:48 am

Originally Posted by hsmall (Post 36123817)

This isn't a thing at Cityflyer, I suspect what you saw was a Training Executive (as in, someone who carries out training).

xenole Mar 31, 2024 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 36089195)
I would stop short of saying it’s a requirement but it is strongly encouraged by the management team.
On long haul there’s generally time to do it.
On short haul you might find 30+ Golds on a GVA, for example, and it’s simply impractical to walk up and down saying hello to each one, especially as the SCCM is key in delivering the CE service.
That being said we’re consistently told that it’s something Gold and above Exec members value, so any decent SCCM will do it when they can - time/service permitting.

Why isn't it that greetings can't be delegated?
I've mentioned before that there can't be too may GGLs say back in economy on a 10-11hr flight, yet the lead cabin crew member in a pre-flight briefing could easily let the 6-8 crew members back there know "Mr. Smith is GGL and is in 87A; Mr. Johnson is GGLFL and in 80C" and let them deal with things.

If GGL does become a tier in itself, would this mean GGLs are prioritized, regardless of cabin, over Golds for greetings etc.?

Can I help you Mar 31, 2024 9:31 am

A good IFL will make a list of any customers they want given recognition and give it to the crewmember serving them, as you say it is sometimes impossible for one person to do this due to numbers and other duties.
GGLs are already prioritised if there are a large number of Golds.

hsmall Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am

Originally Posted by exploring_george (Post 36123988)
not 100% on ba trainee manger scheme. However, if your on the BA graduate scheme. As a part of that scheme one of placement that you undertake, is a stint as cabin crew amongst plamcents within the business.

That strikes me as the most likely because the individual looked of an age to be on a graduate scheme. I should have been nosier :)

hsmall Mar 31, 2024 10:33 am

Originally Posted by EJetter (Post 36124004)
This isn't a thing at Cityflyer, I suspect what you saw was a Training Executive (as in, someone who carries out training).

He looked a bit young for that. But we shall never know!

krispy84 Apr 4, 2024 10:58 am

One for flight crew here and linked to the resumption of LHR - TLV, does GPS jamming / spoofing, as is happening in Israel, prevent the use of RNAV approaches? My assumption is yes but wanted to check? Presumably there’s a NOTAM (or several …..) in force around Ben Gurion Airport?

Sigwx Apr 4, 2024 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 36135581)
One for flight crew here and linked to the resumption of LHR - TLV, does GPS jamming / spoofing, as is happening in Israel, prevent the use of RNAV approaches? My assumption is yes but wanted to check? Presumably there’s a NOTAM (or several …..) in force around Ben Gurion Airport?

When it happens you are quite correct. Otherwise those PBN approaches are available.

The Geek Apr 6, 2024 2:41 am

A question for anyone in the know. Calls to BA Customer Service are recorded I'm advised. Does anyone know how long they are kept for?

TIA

Sparkle00 Apr 8, 2024 5:40 am

Hopefully a quick question - does anyone know what registration is due to operate LGW to MRU this Thursday [11th April]? Thanks