Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfkeze
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2018 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

A new guideline thread for TP meetups has been created on 31 March 2020. If you would like other members to join your TP, or if you want to organize a TP run with other members. Please visit there. From the first few posts over there you could see the active ( confirmed ) TP meetings and the links to their relevant discussion threads, connect with other members and learn the details about the run. Click here to access that thread.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 9 for a 2019 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2018 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

15 Oct £0.96/TP £154 160 TPs LHR-SOF (2021 dates)
24 Feb £1.90/TP £152 80TP MAD-FRA Z/Z LA (available Feb-Mar 2019, immediate turnarounds possible)
10 Aug £2.06/TP £329 160TP LHR-MAD-RAK RAK-MAD-LHR I/I/I/I IB (available August, Sat night stay) BA.com, note hotels on offer until 26 March
3 Jul £2.99/TP £2,758.45 920TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB J/I/I/I/I/I/I/J Fare basis INX4C3S4 and INN4C1S4. Booked on AA via ITA Matrix Powertools script
18 Dec £1.90/TP £1370 720TP DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB All I class Flights 25 December to 31 March 2020, transatlantic Mon to Thur. Offer to 18 Dec. ITA details booked by TA Propeller
27 Apr £2.29/TP £640TP BEG-DOH-KUL-PEN-KUL-DOH-BEG I / I / I / I / I / I Fare IJR2R1RE Bookable on QR.com

From North, Central and South America
10Jan £1.52/TP £668 440tp JFK-BOS/CLT-LAX-LAS-LAX-BOS/CLT-JFK I / I / I / I / I / I HPN-HRL AA (find with ITA; probably have to book via a TA)
12Apr £0.90/TP £215 240tp DCA-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I/I/I/I/I/I/I AA Found with ITA, booked on the AA site with BookWithMatrix
23Apr £ 0.76/TP £ 182 240TP DCA-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-ORD-DCA I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Apr £ 1.04/TP £ 459 440TP YVR-LAX-CLT-ATL-CLT-LAX-YVR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
23May £ 0.70/TP £ 169 240TP EWR-ORD-CLT-RDU-CLT-DFW-EWR I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools
24Jun £ 0.52/TP £ 128 240TP LAX-DFW-PHX-SJC-PHX-DFW-LAX I / I / I / I / I / I AA Found with ITA Matrix, Book on AA.com via BookWithMatrix or PowerTools

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

04/01 £0.95/TP £479 560tp AUH-CMB-CGK-CMB-AUH I / I / I / I cgtechuk UL
1FEB £1.49/TP £1,673 1,120tp PER-SYD-SIN-TYO-BKK Return (All book in I Class) timcjp BA (Ticket sold by BA, flights are on QF, BA & JL and lie flat seats available for all sectors)
23/04 £2.07/TP £2,112 1020TP CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-DFW-ORD-LHR-CAI I/R here (All flights must be BA numbered)

From Africa
04/01 £1.80/TP £721 400tp CPT-JNB-GRU-JNB-DUR-CPT I / Z / Z / I / I ubiest LA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post 4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and return on Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2018 Archive
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

So you’re just over 7,200 and think it’s worth pushing to 8,000?! Not sure what reward is worth the £1600 spend?
GGLFL...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAANN
GGLFL...
Oh I see, what’s with deadlining yourself to 30/04?
george77300 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Oh I see, what’s with deadlining yourself to 30/04?
The extra GUF, perhaps
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL / Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Hi all.

I'm new to this so I appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction.
I have a trip coming up which I'd like to maximise the routing in order to squeeze the most amount of TP out of which could potentially renew my Gold for the year if I can get enough in this trip.
I need to fly the following:
NYC-LON
LON-NYC

The cheapest direct flight I found is $3,680 in (I). I played around with ITAMatrix and managed to add in Boston to both directions JFK-BOS-LHR-BOS-JFK for an extra $70. Could anyone point me in the direction of how, if possible, to maximise the routing for TP whilst keeping it below $4000?

Last edited by pma.tang; Mar 27, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
You need to make the trip from the west coast and probably fly via HEL or MAD etc to get any amount of tier points. NYC to LON is always likely to find you on direct 280TP flights. NYC-PHL-DUB-LON will get an extra 80 TP each way and you might find a fare which allows 2 transfers in USA but keeping the routing without layovers will be difficult and original routing credit is an art, not a science

If you want half a chance make your destination somewhere other than the NYC-LON airbridge the JBA run
alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by UKTony; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:38 pm Reason: LON not LOC
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Auh-cgk £551, cgk-auh £2032......

Hi All,

Thanks to those who've done the AUH-CGK run before I thought I'd look into this, ideally doing a B2B in CGK as I'd rather spend the time in AUH with friends than staying over. This would require booking a separate CGK-AUH trip (yes, I've researched the potential issues with B2B in CGK).

Looking at pricing however I find huge discrepancy between AUH-CGK and CGK-AUH fares - 4 times more to do the reverse. I then started looking in Expertflyer and find it difficult to figure out how UL pricing works! The £551 fare is of fare basis IU2MP8AEIB, but this isn't found on Expertflyer.

Doing an EF search on the reverse direction shows no I class and a figure of around £1718.

2 questions:

1) Why is there a disparity between published fares and EF data here?
2) Is it possible to book CGK-AUH fare close to the £551 fare for AUH-CGK?

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:01 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Hi All,

Thanks to those who've done the AUH-CGK run before I thought I'd look into this, ideally doing a B2B in CGK as I'd rather spend the time in AUH with friends than staying over. This would require booking a separate CGK-AUH trip (yes, I've researched the potential issues with B2B in CGK).

Looking at pricing however I find huge discrepancy between AUH-CGK and CGK-AUH fares - 4 times more to do the reverse. I then started looking in Expertflyer and find it difficult to figure out how UL pricing works! The £551 fare is of fare basis IU2MP8AEIB, but this isn't found on Expertflyer.

Doing an EF search on the reverse direction shows no I class and a figure of around £1718.

2 questions:

1) Why is there a disparity between published fares and EF data here?
2) Is it possible to book CGK-AUH fare close to the £551 fare for AUH-CGK?

Thanks.
The fare rules of the AUH-CGK prevent a b2b. You must spend 24 hours on the ground in Jakarta.

M
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The fare rules of the AUH-CGK prevent a b2b. You must spend 24 hours on the ground in Jakarta.

M
Agreed. It would be a separate ticket from CGK-AUH. So I'd do:

Ticket 1: AUH-CGK
Ticket 2: CGK-AUH
Ticket 2: AUH-CGK
Ticket 1: CGK-AUH

To give time in AUH.

The issue is that the Ticket 2 originating in CGK is 4 times the price of Ticket 1 originating in AUH.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Agreed. It would be a separate ticket from CGK-AUH. So I'd do:

Ticket 1: AUH-CGK
Ticket 2: CGK-AUH
Ticket 2: AUH-CGK
Ticket 1: CGK-AUH

To give time in AUH.

The issue is that the Ticket 2 originating in CGK is 4 times the price of Ticket 1 originating in AUH.
The fare prices tend to fluctuate pretty often, so the price may drop over the next few weeks - but I'd strongly recommend against a b2b at CGK.

Without help from the higher ups at CGK, I'd give you a 5% chance of making the flight!

M
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:00 am

Need a bit of assistance if possible.

I logged into my tier point run details today (Via American Airlines) to find that they've changed one of the flights to "Envoy Air as American Eagle" with a slightly different time.

From what I know, I now wont be getting tier points from that flight, which breaks my plan to get gold. Is this a big enough change that I can call them to get them to give me a different flight option, then claim original routing values (I could go SFO to JFK direct rather than via ORD), or am I screwed?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:02 am

You should be entitled to cancel the booking. I have the same for a TP run I booked for Jan 2020
RG1X likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by RG1X
Need a bit of assistance if possible.

I logged into my tier point run details today (Via American Airlines) to find that they've changed one of the flights to "Envoy Air as American Eagle" with a slightly different time.

From what I know, I now wont be getting tier points from that flight, which breaks my plan to get gold. Is this a big enough change that I can call them to get them to give me a different flight option, then claim original routing values (I could go SFO to JFK direct rather than via ORD), or am I screwed?
I thought all AA "subsidiaries" gave out TPs and Avios?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:11 am
HRE

Programs: BA
You do get TP from American Eagle flights whoever they are operated by (Envoy Air being the new name for American Eagle anyway, but they now also subcontract American Eagle flights to Mesa/Skywest/etc.)
RG1X likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:19 am

Hmmm... OK. I could have sworn I was told that American Eagle didn't earn TP.

With regard to rebooking. What's the right way to do that and still getting original routing credit?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:25 am
HRE

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by RG1X
Hmmm... OK. I could have sworn I was told that American Eagle didn't earn TP.

With regard to rebooking. What's the right way to do that and still getting original routing credit?
With an AA flight number you would earn as it were on AA..

Still odd that on a TP run you are going via ORD for 80TP rather than 140TP direct SFO-JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.