Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying other J classes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having tried Finnair a few times last year, I was overall fairly pleased. The crews (short and long haul J) all came across as very nice people, with attentive service and a caring attitude. The food was ok (short haul) or actually rather good (long haul), the tableware was attractive, and so on. The aircraft (A320s and A330s, I haven't tried their A350 yet) were clearly a bit tired and scuffed but everything worked OK. I still think BA Club World is slightly better seating than Finnair's A330, BA's huge improvement that was the CW seat has kept them ahead for so long that they're still competitive with quite a lot of other carriers, as in this case.

It's as good as BA with a good crew and the new Do&Co catering and service. Or I could say that BA is as good as Finnair if you get a good crew and the new Club service. Meanwhile, BA's previous Club offering looks rather lacklustre in comparison to Finnair - but also in comparison the Do&Co offering. BA are keeping up with their peers in this comparison, but they had to put some effort in to do so. BA really needs to get the new Club service out everywhere, or anyone comparing an experience like Finnair with the previous BA Club service is going to find BA wanting.

Now, most BA crews are pretty good too, and I suspect Finnair aren't all perfect. However all the Finnair crews we had gave a very warm and competent service indeed, so overall no problems with the people there and the Finnair people have got a quality product to deliver, resulting in a good experience all round.

Connecting in HEL is quite pleasant, including being able to easily get into town on a multi-hour layover (for all your important summer cloudberry shopping needs). I can clearly see how a short connection in HEL could go sideways pretty easily in adverse conditions, much like a short LHR T5 connection is fine when all the moving parts move but if anything jams up, you're stuffed. The HEL lounges are quite nice when quiest but got pretty busy (no seats) at prime time... rather like BA lounges, now I come to mention it

Overall Finnair exceeded expectations. BA need to keep on their toes.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope
To the OP, just a question....

where did you find £70 J domestic flights on VN? I can't seem to find them anywhere

cheers

R
We booked in Feb 2018 for travel in Dec 2018. Perhaps there was a sale on? They were one-way flights. Total cost £280 for the 4 tickets.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by flatlander
Having tried Finnair a few times last year, I was overall fairly pleased. The crews (short and long haul J) all came across as very nice people, with attentive service and a caring attitude. The food was ok (short haul) or actually rather good (long haul), the tableware was attractive, and so on. The aircraft (A320s and A330s, I haven't tried their A350 yet) were clearly a bit tired and scuffed but everything worked OK. I still think BA Club World is slightly better seating than Finnair's A330, BA's huge improvement that was the CW seat has kept them ahead for so long that they're still competitive with quite a lot of other carriers, as in this case.

It's as good as BA with a good crew and the new Do&Co catering and service. Or I could say that BA is as good as Finnair if you get a good crew and the new Club service. Meanwhile, BA's previous Club offering looks rather lacklustre in comparison to Finnair - but also in comparison the Do&Co offering. BA are keeping up with their peers in this comparison, but they had to put some effort in to do so. BA really needs to get the new Club service out everywhere, or anyone comparing an experience like Finnair with the previous BA Club service is going to find BA wanting.

Now, most BA crews are pretty good too, and I suspect Finnair aren't all perfect. However all the Finnair crews we had gave a very warm and competent service indeed, so overall no problems with the people there and the Finnair people have got a quality product to deliver, resulting in a good experience all round.

Connecting in HEL is quite pleasant, including being able to easily get into town on a multi-hour layover (for all your important summer cloudberry shopping needs). I can clearly see how a short connection in HEL could go sideways pretty easily in adverse conditions, much like a short LHR T5 connection is fine when all the moving parts move but if anything jams up, you're stuffed. The HEL lounges are quite nice when quiest but got pretty busy (no seats) at prime time... rather like BA lounges, now I come to mention it

Overall Finnair exceeded expectations. BA need to keep on their toes.
Having flown LHR-HEL-PVG and back last week on Finnair I was very impressed, all but one leg on the A350 which is a great aircraft. Good seats, reasonable entertainment and excellent food/drink. The crews were fantastic both ways, especially on the long haul legs, gold member greetings on every flight with greetings after takeoff and before landing on the PVG-HEL leg with the CSD looking up my connection information to ensure that I knew where I was going and what to do.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist

We booked in Feb 2018 for travel in Dec 2018. Perhaps there was a sale on? They were one-way flights. Total cost £280 for the 4 tickets.
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer

have you checked VNs website directly. That’s the only place I’ve found it as they have foreigners fares.
thanks!

unfortunately I think they had a sale when you booked it, given that the prices between SGN-HAN OW is now circa ~£150

R
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I had an excellent experience on AY in December, LHR-HEL-HKG-BKK-HEL-LHR. it was the first time I have used AY (usually fly Cathay to HKG or BA to BKK) and I was pleasantly surprised. Finnair I find usually to be at least half the price of BA and Cathay but I had never booked them in 3 years because I have been wary of connecting in HEL. In the future I will use Finnair as my first port of call when looking for flights to Asia.

The cabin was a bit dull looking, but seemed pretty fresh and in good condition. I really like the feeling of space on the A350 with no centre bin. Food and drink was great, as was the service. A350 between London and Helsinki is also a big bonus if you can time it right - I managed to get it both directions. The A330 I had from BKK-HEL was showing its age, especially the seats . . . but the hard product is still miles better than CW (in my opinion).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.