Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying other J classes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For those on a tight budget and chasing status AY seem a good choice. However if UK based I suspect you have to be heading to Asia for that to work as their long haul network is very limited. I flew short haul economy with them in the 90's several times when positioning to and from cycle tours in the region.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Was this really AY's fault?

Would you rather they had operated in conditions they regarded a dangerous and would perhaps have resulted in fatalities?

Or did you just want to have a go at positive reviews of another carrier?
There was no weather at HEL, it was simply cold.

Now not being a meterological expert, but being cold in HEL in late December shouldn't be that much of a shock.

I'm pursuing my compensation claim on exactly that basis, I'll let you know how that goes as you seem to be very upset by the fact that their awful handling of a delay ruined a lot of plans for a lot of people.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by bhbloke
There was no weather at HEL, it was simply cold.

Now not being a meterological expert, but being cold in HEL in late December shouldn't be that much of a shock.

I'm pursuing my compensation claim on exactly that basis, I'll let you know how that goes as you seem to be very upset by the fact that their awful handling of a delay ruined a lot of plans for a lot of people.
I don't know the specifics of that flight, but the plane that was due to fly HEL-LHR-HEL (OH-LZD) got in late at HEL from ARN with a 3 hour delay at 1921 (It was on ground at ARN for 2:32). I suspect there might not have been a spare plane to operate the LHR service on time. However, that same plane could have left for LHR later, at ~8pm local and arrive at LHR at ~9pm local and depart again at ~10pm local and be in HEL by 3am+1.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
For those on a tight budget and chasing status AY seem a good choice............
And I can let you into a little secret, HIDDY

AY is used by many travellers whose choice is not necessarily shaped by budgetary concerns, or by status levels - but who just like to fly with quality airlines.
florens and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:34 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
AY Cirrus seat is a more compact (read smaller) version than the one CX uses.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
The arrangements for poor weather in HEL are incredible; huge de-icing areas with dozens of trucks (we were there a good 20 minutes blowing the snow off the fuselage that had cemented itself overnight - it was windy). The apron seemed to be heated in places too? I’ve never seen so many snowploughs. Makes me a lot less nervous about delays flying out of there in winter compared to LHR.

It's a must anywhere here in the Nordics. You can't run reliable air traffic operations without proper arrangements for de-icing and gritting. And without the reliability, there would be poor connectivity, not to mention AY couldn't run it's Asian expansion strategy. The same goes for airports in Lapland (KTT etc.). Any winter tourism would be in trouble. Having departed from HEL and arrived at HEL for years, I've never had trouble due to winter conditions. *knock, knock* Any issues have been elsewhere along the route.

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Is Karhu the non-alcoholic one? Or am I remembering the menu wrong?
With alcohol.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by florens
I don't know the specifics of that flight, but the plane that was due to fly HEL-LHR-HEL (OH-LZD) got in late at HEL from ARN with a 3 hour delay at 1921 (It was on ground at ARN for 2:32). I suspect there might not have been a spare plane to operate the LHR service on time. However, that same plane could have left for LHR later, at ~8pm local and arrive at LHR at ~9pm local and depart again at ~10pm local and be in HEL by 3am+1.
That's what we were told, LHR ground staff told HEL that they could depart LHR anytime almost up until midnight.

At the last minute HEL just cancelled the rotation, leaving everyone in the lurch. Also meaning most people were stuck at the airport overnight with no way of getting home.

So don't anyone think that using HEL means you're immune to 'weather' delays.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I doubt that would be possible, crews would likely be out of hours and there wouldn't be the requisite staff at HEL to receive a flight at 3am (esp. one from outside the schengen zone).

I'm surprised to hear that the flight was cancelled due to weather as HEL is known for operating in all conditions, was this the reason given by AY? They themselves are notorious for trying to get out of paying up under EU261 so bhbloke you might be in for a fight!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
[...] there wouldn't be the requisite staff at HEL to receive a flight at 3am (esp. one from outside the schengen zone).[...]
AY1342 has landed late a couple of times including once at 2.24am in the past few weeks.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
AY1342 has landed late a couple of times including once at 2.24am in the past few weeks.
I stand corrected Good to know if i need to take that later flight.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
This is the footwell in 10A

Middle seats (sorry for quality, this is a video capture)
You can see the grey bit on the top of the foot cubby on the middle seats in that photo. It’s about 2” deep into the cubby but that made the difference for my feet! The bulkhead window seats (row 1 and row 10) don’t have it and so the foot cubby is slightly taller, which is a good thing. I guess it’s required to make space for a part of the seat in front. The other interesting thing about the window seats vs VN was that AY have fitted a sort of spacer panel (the thing with the grey plastic grates in your 10A photo) to fill any gap between the curve of the fuselage and the side of the seat, whereas VN haven’t, meaning the cubby feels much wider than it is on VN, like the sideless cubbies on IB or a bulkhead BA seat.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
For those on a tight budget and chasing status AY seem a good choice. However if UK based I suspect you have to be heading to Asia for that to work as their long haul network is very limited. I flew short haul economy with them in the 90's several times when positioning to and from cycle tours in the region.
Or those wanting a high quality J experience on some lovely new aircraft. A lot has probably changed since you last flew on an aeroplane in the 90's
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by offshore_bob
I doubt that would be possible, crews would likely be out of hours and there wouldn't be the requisite staff at HEL to receive a flight at 3am (esp. one from outside the schengen zone).

I'm surprised to hear that the flight was cancelled due to weather as HEL is known for operating in all conditions, was this the reason given by AY? They themselves are notorious for trying to get out of paying up under EU261 so bhbloke you might be in for a fight!
A final update to this fiasco, I submitted my claim about 10 days ago and received a warning that due to a large volume of claims a reply could take up to 3 weeks.

First response arrived on Tuesday saying this was being investigated. On Wednesday a reply saying sorry, the aircraft was so delayed during the day we had to cancel in case we missed curfew at LHR. Would I like 400 euro or 550 euro Finnair vouchers.

Not a single wriggle trying to get out of it, so their claim process seems much better than their irrops!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

To the OP, just a question....

where did you find £70 J domestic flights on VN? I can't seem to find them anywhere

cheers

R
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
To the OP, just a question....

where did you find £70 J domestic flights on VN? I can't seem to find them anywhere

cheers

R
have you checked VNs website directly. That’s the only place I’ve found it as they have foreigners fares.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.