Wiki Posts
Search

Best seats to choose on 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Best seats to choose on 747

Hi everyone,

New to the forum so forgive me if I say something wrong! I am wondering what the best seats are to book on the 747 (BA175 LHR - JFK) economy seats are showing from row 39 onwards so I believe this is a super high J? (Get me!!) Can anyone recommend the best seats for me and my boyfriend to choose please?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Have a look at thebasource.com: British Airways Aircraft Seat Maps
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by eds1996
New to the forum so forgive me if I say something wrong! I am wondering what the best seats are to book on the 747 (BA175 LHR - JFK) economy seats are showing from row 39 onwards so I believe this is a super high J? (Get me!!) Can anyone recommend the best seats for me and my boyfriend to choose please?
I've not been on a BA 747 in quite a long time, but you may wish to consult the Seating Queries - World Traveller thread. This has links to the BA Source seat maps. I will defer to someone with better knowledge as to which seats would be best.

If you have access to early seat assignment for free, and don't mind the risk of a baby being in the bassinet (and having to stow your handheld stuff during take off and landing) I'd probably go for two of the bulkhead seats.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Which class are you travelling in?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Which class are you travelling in?
We’re in World Traveller
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I'd go at the back, there's 3 rows where there's only 2 seats by the window. You get a little more space between the seat and the fuselage and no stranger sat next to you. You'll be last off the plane but it's a small price to pay in my view.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I'd go at the back, there's 3 rows where there's only 2 seats by the window. You get a little more space between the seat and the fuselage and no stranger sat next to you. You'll be last off the plane but it's a small price to pay in my view.
This is where I was thinking, I’ve watched a trip report on YouTube and someone recommended these seats due to that extra leg room. This will probably be the best option as my boyfriend is quite tall! Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hang around these parts Ed and you'll be flying business class before you know it
mhy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

This is where I was thinking, I’ve watched a trip report on YouTube and someone recommended these seats due to that extra leg room. This will probably be the best option as my boyfriend is quite tall! Thanks.
I'd choose row 52 and the K side going westwards. Here's an old photo of mine (in 52B) and I'm 5'11.

squawk, T8191 and eds1996 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd choose row 52 and the K side going westwards. Here's an old photo of mine (in 52B) and I'm 5'11.
That's a really helpful photo for future reference - thanks @PETER01!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01

Thanks Peter, that’s really helpful!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I'd also check the flight loadings for your specific flight if I were you (if you don't have an expertflyer account a friendly soul here will probably help you). Last time I sat in WT on a 747 I enquired about a paid upgrade when I got to LHR and the very friendly check-in lady said that she could happily sell me one, but was I aware that there were only single digit numbers of people checked in to WT on that flight? (can't remember why it was so empty). So instead, she simply asked me which entire empty row I would like to sit in. And then the cabin crew (who basically had almost no service to do) proceeded to feed me more food and drink than I normally get sitting up the front.

So the above advice about the seats is all very sensible, but worth keeping half an eye on the flight also. Not that my experience is anything other than extremely uncommon.

HTH
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Hang around these parts Ed and you'll be flying business class before you know it
I wish Mike!!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by squawk
That's a really helpful photo for future reference - thanks @PETER01!

Thanks Peter, that’s really helpful!
39 BC and 39 HJ can also be chosen (A and K are the dedicated bassinet seats) and C/H offer a little bit of an opportunity to stretch tothe side but not a lot, so that's an option too if he's really tall as the seat pitch is still 31 inches but more like 32 given the newer seats. However, the pairs are nice for couples.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I recall in our Economy days [2000 & 2001, thanks you, ba97!] that we used to use those pairs of seats at the back of the cabin where the 3 seats became 2. OK, it was VS, and Row 61, but still a 747!

Then we started indulging in Premium Economy, and the rest [thanks to FT] is history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.