Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.
Print Wikipost

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I would take this as a 300€ claim, so the half rate, because it seems that more than 16 minutes was due to ATC, with 3 hours plus being due to things under BA's control. However I would just put in a claim for EC261, noting the 4h 16m but without specifying an amount, and then you can see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. I was worried about that... although I feel like this is an undefined area... because if the original flight had not been delayed then I'd not be in this state and wouldn't have missed out on most of the day in Dublin to relax and recuperate before a long work week.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Could someone please direct me to any case law / European court decisions that would support my claim for a “knock on effect” situation. (Runway closure at another European airport) Airline has rejected my initial claim under “extraordinary circumstance” but I know they’re wrong. It would be helpful to provide them with as much “information” as possible. Many thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mike&co
Could someone please direct me to any case law / European court decisions that would support my claim for a “knock on effect” situation. (Runway closure at another European airport) Airline has rejected my initial claim under “extraordinary circumstance” but I know they’re wrong. It would be helpful to provide them with as much “information” as possible. Many thanks.
Some more detail would help here. BA or Cityflyer? Which airport? To determine if the airline took all reasonable measures is on a case by case basis, pretty much, so the right advice needs the appropriate information.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Some more detail would help here. BA or Cityflyer? Which airport? To determine if the airline took all reasonable measures is on a case by case basis, pretty much, so the right advice needs the appropriate information.
Apologies for not providing this NWIFlyer. As it’s another (non BA) airline, I thought it best to provide basic information. The closure occurred at Alicante (runway incident) The aircraft routing was GLA - ALC (runway closure at around 11am) - GLA,. Thereafter, the aircraft was scheduled to operate the GLA - AGP - GLA route. (Over 4 hr delay) AGP - GLA flight was scheduled to depart 21.15.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
Community Director

Well, if this were BA - or another airline operating out of their hub - the “reasonable measures” part of the article would come in and it might be possible to expect the airline to find another plane and/or within the compensation period to operate the flight.

Other airlines with smaller fleets would find it more difficult to suddenly magic a plane up at an outstation (as would BA), so the reasonable measures would be much less extensive. It’s why we try to concentrate on BA queries in this thread, because the answer is very much different than it would be with Wizz Air! We broadly know what BA’s resources and capabilities are, but we don’t have that in-depth knowledge to properly advise on other airlines.

That’s why full details are important, but from what you’ve said you’d struggle to claim here - the closure is clearly extraordinary and whoever the airline is it would be difficult for them to suddenly find a spare plane and crew.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mike&co
The knock-on principle - where a runway closure in location A delays aircraft from A to C, and thus C to B, while the traveller is going from B to C - is well known and not in question by courts or I imagine CEDR, since there would be no extraordinary circumstances for B to C. And Sturgeon is the underlying case for delays.

However you may want to glance at this case for further pointers:
https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search...0-ff0000d74aa7
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The knock-on principle - where a runway closure in location A delays aircraft from A to C, and thus C to B, while the traveller is going from B to C - is well known and not in question by courts or I imagine CEDR, since there would be no extraordinary circumstances for B to C. And Sturgeon is the underlying case for delays.

However you may want to glance at this case for further pointers:
https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search...0-ff0000d74aa7
Thanks again CWS, just read that case, very helpful indeed.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
In which case that’s probably brake applied. I’d say still a good chance the delay hit 3 hours by the time the air bridge was connected and the door opened - hence why the poster’s notes and any evidence collected will be absolutely crucial now if the relevant ACARS data has disappeared.
Originally Posted by Hodders
If you look in the flight details section about half way down the FlightAware page they give both landing and gate arrival time, with the gate arrival time at 1038 IST and so the 2h58 does include taxi onto stand time.

Yeap, 2h58m delay is when the plane taxied to the gate and breaks were applied. It definitely took more than 3 min to get the gates connected and door open.
I guess it's my responsibility to prove the doors were not open by 10:40 and I can't just ask the airline for this info?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:58 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by beepyou
Yeap, 2h58m delay is when the plane taxied to the gate and breaks were applied. It definitely took more than 3 min to get the gates connected and door open.
I guess it's my responsibility to prove the doors were not open by 10:40 and I can't just ask the airline for this info?
Any evidence you hold personally is useful in ‘persuading’ BA to pay out without fanfare, but it’s not absolutely necessary.

I would save the data from FlightAware now, particularly as it seems to show no ATC delays and a quick taxi, wait a few days to see if BA mark the flight as eligible for compensation anyway, then claim.

If BA deny it, ask them for a deadlock confirmation and go to CEDR - or MCOL if you wish, but it shouldn’t be necessary in this case - where BA will have to produce their own evidence to refute your claim. The onus is always on the airline to disprove the claim, not the passenger to prove it.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You can claim the hotel expenses refunded from BA.
I've just heard from BA and they have offered £200 max for the hotel. However, the hotel was £228 for the night (lots of flights cancelled, hotels v busy). Is there a limit to what BA will reimburse?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA policy is £200 but there are no limits included within EU261.

I'd push back to BA stating that fact
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:13 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by F1flyer
I've just heard from BA and they have offered £200 max for the hotel. However, the hotel was £228 for the night (lots of flights cancelled, hotels v busy). Is there a limit to what BA will reimburse?
The interpretation of the regulation is merely that you will act reasonably - so if you're a Blue or Bronze (or even higher) in shorthaul Y, don't expect BA to cough up for the Sofitel if there are 3* IHG or Hilton properties available within a sensible distance. Equally it's not sensible for BA to expect someone in F to bed down in a hostel just to save £20.

If you have some evidence that £228 was the cheapest price for a hotel commensurate with your class of travel then submit it to BA and follow up with a phone call to UK Customer Services. If BA still won't budge, CEDR or certainly MCOL will force their hand.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA policy is £200 but there are no limits included within EU261.

I'd push back to BA stating that fact
Thank you. Does it matter that it was a weather related? I'm not sure EU261 will apply?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by F1flyer
Thank you. Does it matter that it was a weather related? I'm not sure EU261 will apply?
Duty of care (so food/water/hotel) always applies. It is just the compensation which may not be payable for weather.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Duty of care (so food/water/hotel) always applies. It is just the compensation which may not be payable for weather.
Great - I've responded to BA. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.