Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Behaviour Guidance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I'm afraid it's threads like this one that confirm my long-held view that BA/OneWorld should change the rules to ensure that people can only guest actual travelling companions - those on the same booking or at least the same flight.
stu1985 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think a few people are taking this out of context. My take is a (newly minted?) card holder is feeling blessed and wants to share their good fortune. A lovely gesture.

Hope OP and wife enjoy their New Year and would be lovely if you manage to find an organic way to treat an appreciative fellow passenger or two.
truncated likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I have only ever done this once and it was after already speaking to somebody at the gate during an extended delay. Essentially the delay was so long I decided to get my things together and go into the lounge instead of sitting at the gate and asked the person next to me if they wanted to join, which they did. The alternative would have been to tell them I was going to the lounge and essentially leaving them sitting at the gate on their own to ride out the delay. They were fine, and grateful for the offer.
Dover2Golf and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I wouldn't actively seek anyone out myself. If you meet someone on the way to the airport or in the terminal and get talking to them, it's different.

I guested a stranger once, but she was in front of me in the line to gain entry to the lounge, and she was being denied entry. She was very polite about it and simply misunderstood what her status privileges were. I later overheard her phone conversations and it transpired she was having a very bad day, so I'm glad I did it.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CCayley
I'm afraid it's threads like this one that confirm my long-held view that BA/OneWorld should change the rules to ensure that people can only guest actual travelling companions - those on the same booking or at least the same flight.
i would hope they don’t, however the OP’s plan is the kind of thing that might make that happen.

Open Doors was taken away from Golds at the suggestion of the then MD of BA Gatwick in response to a perception of abuse by GCH flying EasyJet.

At a personal level I find being in an airport surrounded by people tiresome enough, let alone voluntarily talking to strangers. 😮
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm going to be Gold next summer and my Wife would be lucky if I guessed her in let along a stranger.

See you at the gate love!
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I've heard that if they have a yellow FlyerTalk tag on their BA branded rucksack, this is a clear signal that they are willing to be guested into a lounge.
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:42 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Cruising the escalators looking for someone to make you feel good when you do them a favour is additionally dangerous. People have been robbed, pockets picked, etc, by people who were just waiting for a sucker to "take pity" on them. <Grinch off but realism on!>
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Flying to Hamburg and what with the new year fast approaching I was considering finding some randoms without status & flying economy and offering them the chance to sample the lounge as our guests as we have now have guesting rights.
I'm sure the OP (and wife) have the best of intentions but I agree with virtually everyone else on this thread that it's odd behaviour, slightly weird and also a little bit creepy. Had the OP gone ahead I'd have been interested to know the OP's proposed opening line to the strangers?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
.................... Had the OP gone ahead I'd have been interested to know the OP's proposed opening line to the strangers?
I can’t presume remotely to speak for the OP.

But I myself, in similar circumstances, would be inclined to adopt a very low-key approach with the aim of creating a relaxed, amicable mood.
So ....... something perhaps along the lines of :

My goodness .... you do strike me as a couple of hapless, downtrodden individuals to whom this world has clearly been most harsh and unkind.
I, on the other hand, enjoy privileges of which you can only dream. Come hither with me, and my staff will regale you with beverages and comestibles, after which you will continue on your journey in steerage, where you will once more be in the company of your equally unfortunate peers”

Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by subject2load
My goodness .... you do strike me as a couple of hapless, downtrodden individuals to whom this world has clearly been most harsh and unkind.
I, on the other hand, enjoy privileges of which you can only dream. Come hither with me, and my staff will regale you with beverages and comestibles, after which you will continue on your journey in steerage, where you will once more be in the company of your equally unfortunate peers”
Thanks. I just involuntarily spat my coffee
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:48 pm

But I myself, in similar circumstances, would be inclined to adopt a very low-key approach with the aim of creating a relaxed, amicable mood.
So ....... something perhaps along the lines of

T8191, subject2load, fbrj and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad

Thanks. I just involuntarily spat my coffee
Glad to be of service !

Hopefully the coffee didn’t catch your clothes, because I’m afraid I can’t cover the dry-cleaning bill
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by peck
As you know you can guest whoever you like into the lounge as long as they’re on a OW flight at Heathrow - entirely your prerogative. However this situation really does come across as a bit odd; you probably didn’t mean it but language like ‘don’t have the means’ is quite patronising, and if someone came up to me and made me feel like ‘the poor person in economy’ I wouldn’t be overly impressed.

Why not just enjoy your trip to the lounge with the wife before your flight? Have a great time in Germany, fantastic place to spend new year!

I think this is really nice and would LOVE for this to happen - especially when im about to board a long haul flight (i dress a bit nicer for these and not just in trackies and a hoody for a 2 hour flight) . I will never get to go to the lounge and think its a wonderful and kind thing to do.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold

So ....... something perhaps along the lines of :

Is that you Jacob?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.