Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A memo to BA crew

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I agree with the hotel list of pet hates.

I would add to that list - noisy mini fridges. They get unplugged immediately. Any kind of wall furniture that emits light (like the aircon control) also gets a room service card wedged in front of it!

Last edited by Adstring; Dec 30, 2018 at 3:31 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
BA crew members stay at some of the hotels I am a regular at, but I haven't seen anything problematic from them.

I have, however, seen somewhat "doubtful" conduct by crew members of some other airlines at various hotels, although by and large they are good fun!

A few things to add as someone who stays over 200 nights/year in hotels:

- Ignoring the Do Not Disturb sign
- Being telephoned to ask if I really did not want to be disturbed because the DND sign is on the door... Hello?! I want to SLEEP!
- Knock and enter at the same time
- Bathroom too dark to put make-up on properly
- Shortage of power point or only where you'd need an extension cord to reach the desk
- Low-rise hotel without an opening window
- Noise (probably my biggest hotel room hate)
- Interconnecting door (tends to be extra noisy if you have a noisy neighbour)
- Bad iron and ironing board (I bring my own ironing pad to put on a bad ironing board now!)
- Having the TV on with the sound on when I arrive at the room, and the remote control is hidden away somewhere

I sympathise with not liking a hotel move because I (a normal punter, not crew) have a few hotels with specific preferred rooms or corridors, floor, layout etc. If I am suddenly at an unfamiliar place, it can result in my getting less sleep, because those tend to be at places where I take a short stopover.
May I add:
- overly complicated "smart" lighting systems that don't work properly
- lack of blackout curtains (or blackout curtains that don't reach the edges of the window)
- air conditioning or heating systems that you can't turn off

And variations of yours
- TVs that play music every time you re-enter the room!
- No irons or boards available because they've all been loaned out(!)

Regarding noise I've started travelling with good quality (PPE!) earplugs. Whilst the sensation
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Apologies for the naming of two current hotels which has been rightly removed. I should have said 5 star to four star to 3 star. The point remains valid that the current hotel in Toronto is not shabby!! It does show that across the piece, the pennies are being saved and I guess they add up.
I travel every week, and have to use company hotels. So long as the bed is comfy with nice bedding, decent wifi and a clean bathroom I'm happy.

Discretion is two way, and the large gangs of crew I've witnessed in and out of uniform not being discreet neither flies the flag or keep them low key. I only know around my home city through acquaintances and friends I catch up with on their night stop,
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
I overheard Delta crew talking about passwords to the cockpit and more
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Skimo
I can't imagine one stewardess taking her uniform handbag out when off duty down route, let alone several!! They utterly hate the thing. Are you sure it was the dark blue leather bag, with the very faint imprint of the speed marque on the side?
I only know what I saw. I think of a group of seven, four had the bags.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:48 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I was hoping this might be a thank you memo to all BA crew who have worked hard this past 12 months to keep us safe, fed and watered whilst at 35000+ ft Tis the season of goodwill and all

But then I woke up..
, have the goodness to address

Actually, I would have laughed out loud had some crew member who might have read this replied -

"Dear Frequent Flyer, kindly mind your own business. If you have an issue with our private conversations, say it to our faces rather than hide in the anonymity of the internet.

I am delighted that who said what to whom in BA uniform and who used which handbag should occupy the concerns of anyone.

That thread I would pay money to read. Within the last few months, I have heard AA, United, Air France, Delta, and even an extremely loud Cathay crew slag off their respective employers. Everyone does it, albeit some more discretely than others. I dont seem to recall Open Memos (I ask you) on such subjects in their respective Fora
rockflyertalk and navylad like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Well said Madame!

in fact this forum wouldn’t be as informative (or as entertaining) if many posters hadn’t managed to overhear staff talking about their employer and it’s plans in both good and bad terms!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I know quite a few London hotels used by various Airlines, and cetrtaibly others ex-UK outside Europe where i regularly stay.
eg for LHR some will use eg CP LHR which even had airline crew lounge on 3rd floor (as against club lounge on 4th floor). Some other airlines use the HI Kensington as big (800 rooms) and easy travel minibus+picadilly line

Crews expect (or have in their contract) a minimum std of hotel and minimum features, I was very familiar with KLM crews stays in Asia the last 10years 2006-16 when Amsterdam based..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.