Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A memo to BA crew

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:11 am

Rule number one for aircrew - don’t get drunk in the hotel bar! And rule number two, keep a low profile at reception (ok, not so easy when you’re in uniform).

PS I don’t fly for BA.

Last edited by AllTheNines; Jun 21, 2021 at 7:43 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon

I dont work for BA but the naming of hotels seems like a huge security issue to me.

cs
Why? Dont you think seeing a group of 15 or so BA staff stood in a hotel reception in their uniforms is a bit of a giveaway?

I agree that there is no real need to name the hotel But a "huge security issue"?? Let's be realistic.
SK, lhrpete, Cap'n Benj and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swampz64
CornishSimon if the identity of the hotel staff were staying in was a security issue then staff would change at the airport and arrive looking like any other group of tourists.
But that’s not how the security side of it works. We’ve probably all been in the same hotels as BA staff - indeed, I’ve drunk and chatted with them on a number of occasions in different hotel bars - so once you arrive it’s obvious.

However, up to that point no-one with a grudge against or an infatuation with an indiviual would have any idea as to whether a particular crew was headed for a Crowne Plaza or a Marriott or a Hilton. If the precise location became common knowledge, given passengers invariably arrive at a hotel before crew, it would make it considerably easier to get to that individual.

There are reasons why, by and large, cabin crew do not discuss their accommodation arrangements with passengers, and quite possibly why they change regularly. If BA feels there are reasons why that information should not be shared, imho we should respect that.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
- no plug socket next to the bed (can’t trust my alarm to wake me up from the other side of the room)
I really hate this in a hotel - even worse when there is a socket but it's an odd format meaning you can't use it! (eg rounded pin in a UK hotel)
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
But that’s not how the security side of it works. We’ve probably all been in the same hotels as BA staff - indeed, I’ve drunk and chatted with them on a number of occasions in different hotel bars - so once you arrive it’s obvious.

However, up to that point no-one with a grudge against or an infatuation with an indiviual would have any idea as to whether a particular crew was headed for a Crowne Plaza or a Marriott or a Hilton. If the precise location became common knowledge, given passengers invariably arrive at a hotel before crew, it would make it considerably easier to get to that individual.

There are reasons why, by and large, cabin crew do not discuss their accommodation arrangements with passengers, and quite possibly why they change regularly. If BA feels there are reasons why that information should not be shared, imho we should respect that.
Agreed. Not to mention that in certain countries “western” and indeed British individuals are a terrorist target. Imagine how one of the terror groups would love the publicity of hitting a hotel full of airline crew.

I was staying in Cairo last week and having seen the news the last few days I don’t think I’d be happy if it were common knowledge on a public forum which hotel I was staying the next time I visit. It’s not quite the same as a random passenger happening to spot me at check-in.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One particular problem here - which hopefully will be gradually going away - is that crew are used to projecting their voices clearly over the noise a 777 or 747. Now that's not as easy as it appears, but it does mean that when you're at a hotel after a flight, any incoming's crew is difficult to avoid, it's like Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, complete with Solomon, Zadok and the chorus of the Israelites. One thing I seem perhaps a bit less of than in the past is drunk crew members - the younger generation thankfully drink less than their older peers at the same age, and frankly hotel alcohol prices are ruinous on a cabin crew wage. Or any wage. Doubtless it still goes on, but I suspect off the premises and definitely not in uniform.

But people do like to complain, and crew are no exception. There's a frequent flyer forum out there on the internet full of complaints about the slightest thing, can't remember its name off hand. But if you are for example RDU based cabin crew with seniority you are going to find yourself doing just one route, RDU-LHR, pretty much all the time. Which must get pretty boring, and over breakfast you'll hear plenty of highly internalised evil gossip. I've never been to the crew report point in RDU but I know exactly who works there. So we all do it, it relieves stress and boredom, but it's pleasure best not shared.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:15 am

Agreed. Not to mention that in certain countries “western” and indeed British individuals are a terrorist target. Imagine how one of the terror groups would love the publicity of hitting a hotel full of airline crew.

I was staying in Cairo last week and having seen the news the last few days I don’t think I’d be happy if it were common knowledge on a public forum which hotel I was staying the next time I visit. It’s not quite the same as a random passenger happening to spot me at check-in.
I find this argument to be slightly odd.

If a terror group had decided to strike a hotel because aircrew were staying there it would not be due to a random passenger spotting you. These groups do their research properly and as s result would know that airline crew from x airlines tended to arrive at the hotel at y times and stayed overnight. The fact that a bunch of crew checked in/out dressed in uniform would be one (fairly obvious) confirming factor alongside other sources.

As stated earlier I don't see any need to name hotels but the fact that they are not named on FT hardly makes it a state secret. Also many locations have a limited selection of decent hotels and it is not that hard to work out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:22 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
My pet hates:

- no plug socket next to the bed (can’t trust my alarm to wake me up from the other side of the room)
- no places to eat nearby having flown a 12 hour shift. Stuck with luke-warm room service and paying silly money for the “privilege”.
- no gym (flying is a very unhealthy job, I need some way to offset the effects!)
- no iron in the room and being told to pay for the laundry service if I don’t want my uniform to look a mess.
- no master light switch next to the bed. Lost count of how many times have had to go round the room switching off lights individually. Sometimes not even able to find a switch for one light (normally the floor standing one) and just pulled the plug out of the wall
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by so3003
I really hate this in a hotel - even worse when there is a socket but it's an odd format meaning you can't use it! (eg rounded pin in a UK hotel)

I do believe there are small gadgets, readily available for purchase, which offer a simple means to overcome such problems
(ask me how I know ..... )
lhrpete and choosethedrew like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
as someone who used to spend 150+ nights in a hotel, it is small things that can set one off. moreover, flight crews (which i am not) have an even more abbreviated chance to sleep, turnaround and be nice to all of us. so yeah, i support crews when they find things especially annoying in hotels because it is a limited amount of time to recover and recharge after long hauls.

i can have a bad night's sleep and just throw myself onto the plane and expect that champs on boarding...they cannot.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by subject2load
I do believe there are small gadgets, readily available for purchase, which offer a simple means to overcome such problems
(ask me how I know ..... )
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
… crew are used to projecting their voices clearly over the noise a 777 or 747… it's like Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, complete with Solomon, Zadok and the chorus of the Israelites.
That made me choke on my coffee

I've occasionally encountered BA crew at hotels - such as in SJC - but they've usually been very well behaved. Having said that, back in 2009-10 I used to regularly swim at Jesmond swimming pool in Newcastle, and one evening the only other people there were two members of BA cabin crew. I overheard a lot of gossip…
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I once witnessed a bunch of airline crew - a N American airline if I remember correctly - demanding they have this and that at reception. Apart from being surprised they were staying in the same budget hotel as me I thought nothing of it. From what I gathered it wasn't the usual hotel they normally stayed at.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by so3003
If it has three rounded pins like a South African or lighting/entertainment industry plug then it's a lighting circuit rated at a lower current (3 or 5A I believe) than a normal 13A socket.
Stez likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Whilst BA would probably prefer, and are doubtless entitled to demand, that crew in uniform toe the line in not overtly criticising the airline, I can’t say that I blame them.

If I’d flown for 10 hours and been on my feet, had, what 20 hours if that at my hotel before expected to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the return, then have a day off to sort uniform and life admin out before jetting off for a HEL there & back with 48 in CE, I’d be massively narked off if whatever the company has promised me (be it room available at 10AM, a room with proper curtains, housekeeping not playing dodgems with laundry carts in the corridor outside my door, hot water, an iron that doesn’t drip brown water all over my white shirt, whatever) and tempted to kick off at the hotel to get it sorted. Or to just report fatigued the next day thus dropping the rest of my crew in it. I know ‘international travel’ comes with all of this and more but these are real people - just as are the directors and “executive vice presidents” who fly around on their company account and complain MASSIVELY to guest relations (who can see who their employer is) when they run into similar issues. So, I do sympathise. We have all had to deal with the more for less agenda over the past 10 years or so and it does take its toll especially if the downgrade in hotel seems petty or is decided by people who don’t ever have to stay in these hotels and know what issues can crop up....also, do keep in mind that some hotels don’t always exactly reserve the best rooms for their crew guests...others do much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.