Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

For what reason would a Y customer choose BA for Long Haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For what reason would a Y customer choose BA for Long Haul

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Flying inY to avoid heavy charges

I recently booked two Avios redemptions to ORD (actually a 2-4-1 but two lots of fees). Total charges were over £1300 of which YQ charges were £400. each! Return fare in Y would have been £295 each (and there is good availability) which has really made me begin to think that it isn’t worth over £100 an hour (fees and Avios) to sit in J on BA. (We are retired with no status and slow Avios earning rate). We flew over last year in Y with AA. We paid for one of the pairs of seats right at the back. There are no toilets at the back on the AA787-8 and the secondary galley is fairly quiet. Both flights were daytime flights and it wasn’t bad at all. We were last of the aircraft but have Global Entry so, all in all not bad. Would definitely do it again.
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by Definitas; Dec 27, 2018 at 3:45 am Reason: correction
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Woollyhead
Recent LAX-LHR experience wasn’t much below EK for those aspects.
Talk about damning with faint praise!

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Woollyhead, it's good to see you here - and we don't get much by way of World Traveller commentary in this forum - so I would certainly encourage you to keep participating here.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The only conceivable reasons I would pay a £100 premium for a Y flight with no status would be:

1. A significantly better schedule, helping me avoid an overnight airport stay before or after the flight (which would probably cost £100 anyway).

For example, a midday departure landing at 4pm local, as opposed to a 6am departure or 11pm arrival.

or

2. Avoiding a particularly uncomfortable aircraft configuration, such as a 9-across 787 or 10-across 777.

I believe BA has some of the few remaining 9-across 777s, so depending on the route this might be a factor.

Absent these factors, save yourself the ton.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by criso
I'd look at price and schedule but I'd probably stick with OW having had lots of points with various airlines that I couldn't use and lost. Even a small amount of avios will get me a tea or coffee on board.

The other big factor for a shorter stay would be hand luggage allowances so I don't have to check in.

Eta airport too, Luton for example is just too much of a pain to get to via public transport for me.
So you'd pay £100 extra to get a handful of Avios, worth something like £10? Even if you can't use the United miles, you'd still be way better off.
BearX220, justin_krusty and Oaxaca like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
But they arent - they have stripped everything down but are still more expensive.

I would include virgin in this as its even cheaper but the 10kg limit on cabin baggage has put me off
They're more expensive in your specific example, that doesn't mean they always are. Sometimes even Ryanair is more than BA.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:34 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
I flew many longhaul flights in the past years with different airlines (DL, AF, LH, BA, SQ, TK) and I see BA's soft product in Y (flew LHR-JFK-LHR this summer) better than LH and much much better than AF and DL but still not in the same league with SQ and TK. Their hard product is very poor (and I flew a B744 with ”refreshed” interior).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I always book flights back into the EU on an EU carrier to protect me in the case of IRROPS so definitely would book BA over UA. Although unlikely, as a low/no-status Y passenger, I would be at the back of the queue if the flight is cancelled or heavily delayed.

At least with a community carrier you can know they have to reimburse a hotel/food even if the delay is due to weather, something an American carrier is unlikely to do.
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
It’s been 6 or 7 years since I flew UA but based on that they were not as good as BA - however not £100 worse. I’d probably pay £30-£40 more for BA as a blue, £50 more in reality as I’d get lounge access and other benefits of Gold.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Bigbearcatcher
I always book flights back into the EU on an EU carrier to protect me in the case of IRROPS so definitely would book BA over UA. Although unlikely, as a low/no-status Y passenger, I would be at the back of the queue if the flight is cancelled or heavily delayed.

At least with a community carrier you can know they have to reimburse a hotel/food even if the delay is due to weather, something an American carrier is unlikely to do.
If the premium is always around £100, that's a very expensive insurance policy.
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
If the premium is always around £100, that's a very expensive insurance policy.
And others would find it cheap. Lets face it, we buy insurance hoping we never will need it, but expecting it "to be there" if and when it is needed. YMMV.

For instance, right now I am in India and have a "space" on a train on Saturday that will get me to a destination to "maybe" catch a bus to Cochin International Airport - with "maybe" 2 hours to catch my overseas flight. I think I will get up early tomorrow morning (Friday) and buy an earlier train ticket for a "space" on a train that gets to my destination 90 minutes earlier than the train I have a ticket for. That way I can "for-sure" catch an earlier bus (at my train destination) and have over 3 hours at the airport. Spending the extra 340 Rupees is a no-brainer, even if I have to get up 2 hours earlier than normal to get to the ticket vendor... cheap insurance, but a PITA in terms of inconvenience tomorrow.

Last edited by tmac100; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:13 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
In some ways it's good to be free of alliance ties when looking at a route. When I travel to Australia I always try a OW airline first to see what the benchmark is price wise. Then I look at the others to see what (if any) saving I can make, if the cabins are any better and how the timings compare.

On the NY route, decide for yourself what else you could spend that £100 on. It's not that long a flight (I'd call it mid haul, but that's me) and for me the big issue would be what time the return flight is. I'd want to maximise my time in NYC, and get as late as possible flight back. That has the benefit of arriving back to the UK around lunch time rather than in the morning peak. May help with jet lag a bit too.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Well yes, but taking the example of a £100 fare difference, if you have EC261 IRROPs 10% of the time, the total paid as a premium would be a grand. And I reckon that 10% is orders of magnitude greater than actual probability. So you could either self-insure or use a trip insurance policy. Anyway any airline flying into the EU is subject to EC261 I believe.

This isn't to say any approach is wrong, more that paying extra for peace of mind can be more expensive than alternatives. Often there's a "devil you know" aspect to what premium will be acceptable to passengers which trumps the maths.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Well yes, but taking the example of a £100 fare difference, if you have EC261 IRROPs 10% of the time, the total paid as a premium would be a grand. And I reckon that 10% is orders of magnitude greater than actual probability. So you could either self-insure or use a trip insurance policy. Anyway any airline flying into the EU is subject to EC261 I believe.

This isn't to say any approach is wrong, more that paying extra for peace of mind can be more expensive than alternatives. Often there's a "devil you know" aspect to what premium will be acceptable to passengers which trumps the maths.
All airlines flying out of the EU are, only EU airlines flying in are (EU being shorthand for whatever the actual scope of EC261 is).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
As a Y customer with no status, in 2013, i would be completely loyal to BA and would actually only ever book with BA. Im currently looking to book a trip to NY in May and BA are coming up as just under £100 more than united (if booked directly with them) and im curious to see if anyone here that is the same position as me would choose BA over all other airlines and if so, why?
And people still go on about the brand being in the toilet etc...

My sister would’ve one to pay the premium for BA having has what she called an 80s experience on UA a few years back in regards to IFE etc.

im sure they’ve upgraded things since but your average flyer, while probably getting better in regards to research etc. doesn’t know these things when they book.

I suspect in this case BA has simply already filled it’s cheaper buckets and knows it can ultimately extract more revenue at the higher price now. Most people will likely book the cheaper options now (assuming no schedule advantages etc) until they sell out their cheaper fares too, at which point the prices will likely align
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bigbearcatcher
...At least with a community carrier you can know they have to reimburse a hotel/food even if the delay is due to weather...
BA has become very adept at providing the minimum that they have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.