FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   CX award availabilty! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1947660-cx-award-availabilty.html)

BA6948 Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm

CX award availabilty!

Been using ba.com for the last 4 years to book award tickets. I have seen availabilities for BA, MH and RJ flights when I wanted to go east from Europe. Never seen availability for CX flight from any EU Airport except last month but that was for a flight depating in the next 48 hours.

The question is: I would like to boox CX departing CDG, FCO, FRA, BRU or LHR on 26 December 2019 to HKG in J. How can I find award availability? When should I start looking?

Lefly Dec 26, 2018 11:35 pm

The big problem me and other people found with CX, is that for some reasons almost all direct availability disappeared from the last big program change, leaving almost only married segments.
E.g. searching BRU-HKG for 8th Dec. 2019 returns no availability with CX, but if you search BRU-HKG-KUL the same day then you find it, and f you call BA to book only the BRU-HKG leg, they can't.
When the 26th Dec 2019 becomes bookable, try also to search fro SIN, KUL, BKK etc.

HarryKUK Dec 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Is it possible to book a married segment to somewhere fairly close to HKG like say Taipei and just not fly it? If a long stopover is left at HKG would CX allow short checking of bags?

percysmith Dec 26, 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 30577218)
Never seen availability for CX flight from any EU Airport except last month but that was for a flight depating in the next 48 hours.

I'm surprised you can see CX in BAEC inside of 7 days. Did you call?

Lefly Dec 26, 2018 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30577341)

The 7/15 days limit wasn't only for intra-Asia or departing Asia flights?

BA6948 Dec 27, 2018 12:52 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 30577341)

no I didn’t have to call. Was booked on BA to HKG from LHR in PE on Nov 29 and was trying to see if there are upgrade possibilities to J on that flight. I had a quick a look on ba.com if award flights were available in J for that flight. BA wasn’t available but there were 2 award seats in J on the CX LHR-HKG. That was 2 days before my flight. It was in fact the first time I have seen award availability with CX.

BA6948 Dec 27, 2018 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Lefly (Post 30577324)
The big problem me and other people found with CX, is that for some reasons almost all direct availability disappeared from the last big program change, leaving almost only married segments.
E.g. searching BRU-HKG for 8th Dec. 2019 returns no availability with CX, but if you search BRU-HKG-KUL the same day then you find it, and f you call BA to book only the BRU-HKG leg, they can't.
When the 26th Dec 2019 becomes bookable, try also to search fro SIN, KUL, BKK etc.

tried that and you are correct: BRU-HKG doesn’t appear while BRU-HKG-KUL does on Dec 8th. What can I do to get that BRU-HKG. i don’t want to lose avios unnecessarily by having sectors I won’t use.

Lefly Dec 27, 2018 3:42 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 30577516)
tried that and you are correct: BRU-HKG doesn’t appear while BRU-HKG-KUL does on Dec 8th. What can I do to get that BRU-HKG. i don’t want to lose avios unnecessarily by having sectors I won’t use.

I'm afraid it's not possible.
The only thing you can do to minimize the avios loss is to find something very close to HKG and book that leg in Y, as it's allowed to book the trip in different classes (when available).

However there are "exceptions" here and there, and for example on 1st December the direct flight BRU-HKG is available. Maybe you'll be lucky for the date you need.