CX award availabilty!

Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
CX award availabilty!

Been using ba.com for the last 4 years to book award tickets. I have seen availabilities for BA, MH and RJ flights when I wanted to go east from Europe. Never seen availability for CX flight from any EU Airport except last month but that was for a flight depating in the next 48 hours.

The question is: I would like to boox CX departing CDG, FCO, FRA, BRU or LHR on 26 December 2019 to HKG in J. How can I find award availability? When should I start looking?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The big problem me and other people found with CX, is that for some reasons almost all direct availability disappeared from the last big program change, leaving almost only married segments.
E.g. searching BRU-HKG for 8th Dec. 2019 returns no availability with CX, but if you search BRU-HKG-KUL the same day then you find it, and f you call BA to book only the BRU-HKG leg, they can't.
When the 26th Dec 2019 becomes bookable, try also to search fro SIN, KUL, BKK etc.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

Is it possible to book a married segment to somewhere fairly close to HKG like say Taipei and just not fly it? If a long stopover is left at HKG would CX allow short checking of bags?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by BA6948
Never seen availability for CX flight from any EU Airport except last month but that was for a flight depating in the next 48 hours.
I'm surprised you can see CX in BAEC inside of 7 days. Did you call?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
The 7/15 days limit wasn't only for intra-Asia or departing Asia flights?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
no I didnt have to call. Was booked on BA to HKG from LHR in PE on Nov 29 and was trying to see if there are upgrade possibilities to J on that flight. I had a quick a look on ba.com if award flights were available in J for that flight. BA wasnt available but there were 2 award seats in J on the CX LHR-HKG. That was 2 days before my flight. It was in fact the first time I have seen award availability with CX.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
The big problem me and other people found with CX, is that for some reasons almost all direct availability disappeared from the last big program change, leaving almost only married segments.
E.g. searching BRU-HKG for 8th Dec. 2019 returns no availability with CX, but if you search BRU-HKG-KUL the same day then you find it, and f you call BA to book only the BRU-HKG leg, they can't.
When the 26th Dec 2019 becomes bookable, try also to search fro SIN, KUL, BKK etc.
tried that and you are correct: BRU-HKG doesnt appear while BRU-HKG-KUL does on Dec 8th. What can I do to get that BRU-HKG. i dont want to lose avios unnecessarily by having sectors I wont use.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
tried that and you are correct: BRU-HKG doesn’t appear while BRU-HKG-KUL does on Dec 8th. What can I do to get that BRU-HKG. i don’t want to lose avios unnecessarily by having sectors I won’t use.
I'm afraid it's not possible.
The only thing you can do to minimize the avios loss is to find something very close to HKG and book that leg in Y, as it's allowed to book the trip in different classes (when available).

However there are "exceptions" here and there, and for example on 1st December the direct flight BRU-HKG is available. Maybe you'll be lucky for the date you need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.