Search

Help please. Flying tomorrow /esta issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Help please. Flying tomorrow /esta issue

Looking for some advice

am due to fly tomorrow to the US. Tried to check in today and I'm receiving a message that I do not have a valid ESTA (or words to that effect). I have a current ESTA which I travelled on in September and is valid until 2020.

I called BA as I don't want to get to the airport and be refused boarding however their advice was to apply for another ESTA and hope it comes through. I'm reluctant to do that in case I'm refused or it invalidates the current one but the adviser was adamant if I don't take action before reaching the airport I will absolutely not be flying.

any ideas what to do - I fear I'm caught in a situation which I can't fix
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Looking for some advice

am due to fly tomorrow to the US. Tried to check in today and I'm receiving a message that I do not have a valid ESTA (or words to that effect). I have a current ESTA which I travelled on in September and is valid until 2020.

I called BA as I don't want to get to the airport and be refused boarding however their advice was to apply for another ESTA and hope it comes through. I'm reluctant to do that in case I'm refused or it invalidates the current one but the adviser was adamant if I don't take action before reaching the airport I will absolutely not be flying.

any ideas what to do - I fear I'm caught in a situation which I can't fix
Check the passport number on your ESTA application EXACTLY matches your passport number.

My brother did this recently and missed a digit although it still approved the wrong ESTA.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Suggest you visit the ESTA site and check it says you still have a valid ESTA for the passport you are using. It usually doesn't let you apply if it thinks you have one. Then print it out and bring it with you. What is the wording of the message? I have a feeling there's a BA IT issue involved around the API data as I sometimes get messages like this, and what it actually means is you have to do a check at the airport and can't do an OLCI
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Have checked the ESTA website and the status shows as "approved". I've taken a screenshot on the iPad as I have no printer so hopefully that will suffice.

we are less than 40 miles from the airport (actually staying overnight at an airport hotel). Hubby is suggesting we pack now and go through to airport the check in around lunchtime then just drive back through to hotel tonight. Seems overkill but it may be the safest option.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is your passport number and your passport expiry data on your API data in the booking and ESTA application completely accurate? No months/years mixed up? Does your passport expire soon? The three most common problems are date mix ups, passport numbers being transposed, and (unbelievably) getting their nationality wrong (e.g. selecting USA when they mean UK).

It is entirely possible that the computer at the USA end isn't working, it does go down from time to time, but usually leaving it an hour will sort that out. But in the absence of that I would allow extra time at the airport. The advice to apply for a new ESTA is a good one but it's the last thing you do.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:59 am

If you’re ESTA has your exact passport details and is in approved status, you have done all you can. This appears to be a systems issue in generating your BP. I would be pretty confident the check-in agent will be able to issue your BP. Making two trips to the airport is a waste of time/effort.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's actually quite easy to dislodge one of the pull downs on the API screen, I've done it a few times because of a slightly sticky mouse pad, a slight drag when changing fields can set any country. So definitely go through that again and double check everything.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks
C W S. All info correct on both the BA profile and the ESTA site. It was a new passport in August and worked ok for a Boston flight in September so feels like a glitch. We've decided we will go through for 4pm and check in then return home, have dinner with my parents then mum will take us back to the airport hotel.

I may try online check in later this morning just in case it has updated.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If BA refuses to issue a boarding pass, you are the lucky guy in receiving a EUR 600 EC261 compensation payment plus free rebooking or a full refund.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by warakorn
If BA refuses to issue a boarding pass, you are the lucky guy in receiving a EUR 600 EC261 compensation payment plus free rebooking or a full refund.
Not if the CBP hasn't sent the 'marker' that the passenger has an ESTA to BA then they won't be entitled to compensation.

It is the CBP marker that BA will go on not someone waving their phone or a piece of paper saying 'look I have an ESTA!' (not that the OP is doing that but some people have).
mike&co and lavajava like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn
That is quite simply wrong and perhaps demonstrates a lack of understanding of what an ESTA is and how it works.

BA, as a condition of its landing rights in the US, agrees that in the case of a passenger eligible for VWP, e.g. an ESTA, may not be boarded until and unless BA receives a notification from CBP that the ESTA has been approved. That notification, often received a "marker" is an electronic signal associated with the passenger's passport number. The fact that it has been approved is indeed good news, but is just one step towards its use by BA.

While one is always free to print a copy of the ESTA receipt or bring a screenshot on a phone, those are insufficient and even the receipt number is not anything which BA can use to backtrack and confirm that an ESTA has been given.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
This still leaves the question of the passenger’s rights if they have a valid ESTA but BA fail to confirm that for reasons outside the passenger’s control and deny boarding.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fruitcage
This still leaves the question of the passenger’s rights if they have a valid ESTA but BA fail to confirm that for reasons outside the passenger’s control and deny boarding.
A passenger is only authorized to travel when CBP transmits its "marker" to the carrier. While unlikely, one could have an ESTA approved yet CBP fails to properly transmit its ",market" and one is denied boarding. One would hope that there is time for CBP to authorize the travel, but that is something not to be counted on.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by fruitcage
to reiterate BA does not confirm anything.

The CBP does and it is that marker that permits BA to board the passenger.

No marker = no boarding and denied boarding compensation does not apply.

Often1 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Out of curiosity - What is the solution to this problem, if it is indeed the CBP's fault? - Is there a way to solve it given it only surfaced 24hrs prior to the flight?
The option of re-applying for an ESTA seems not to be possible given both a) the time to departure being too short to apply, and b) the OP already has an ESTA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.