Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA1443 Cancellations - EDI to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:56 am
Original Poster

BA1443 Cancellations - EDI to LHR

We're booked to fly EDI-LHR (and on to LAS) next Monday at 11.25am. I see that today's EDI-LHR BA1443 flight has been cancelled and I can also see that it didn't fly last Monday either.

If they pull the plug on next week's flight too are they obliged to get us to LAS the same day? We booked using Avios if that makes any difference.

And how much notice are we likely to get if they do cancel it again?

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
BA had many issues in the last few weeks and they cancelled many flights. I wouldn't try to guess which one would be cancelled if any. Some of the flights get cancelled at the very last minute as of lack of staff in various departments. Some flights get cancelled because crew run out of hours sitting in front of an empty gate other flight get cancelled because no one can unload or load the bags. So currently it is a lottery keep an eye the night before on the BA app and on the day to see if the LHR-EDI flight is going or not. Don't forget it can be delayed by several hours as well.

BA has to take you to your final destination if you miss your EDI-LHR or the LHR-LAS then they will put you on the next available flight. If nothing available on the day then the next one, etc. BA app usually offers some options if that is not suitable don't accept it but then you need to call which is not an easy options. BA might able to help you at the airport too. I would research a bit on possible other flights to LAS either direct or indirect via JFK, PHL, LAX, etc. It's better to tell the agent how you would like to get to LAS. Also it doesn't matter if you booked with Avios or cash same rebooking rules applies. You can also claim EU261 comp in most cases these days, however BA is not really paying that out without any fight.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
As Krisz says, keep an eye on things the day and evening before and then on the day. There are two other flights to LHR and one to LCY that all connect with your LAS Vegas flight (but two of them are in the hour before BA1443), so they would probably get you on something, but you might need to get to the airport earlier than planned.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks. If we do have to change our plans are we restricted to BA or partner airlines as an alternative, or can we ask them to put us on any airline?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
They'll prefer to put you on OneWorld, but I don't see many alternatives to the flight you're on from LHR-LAS – there's a DFW connection at 13.15 from LHR, but if you can make that then you'd make your nonstop flight, which seems to be the last of the day to LAS on any airline.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Mikey07
Thanks folks. If we do have to change our plans are we restricted to BA or partner airlines as an alternative, or can we ask them to put us on any airline?
They have to get you there, but you don’t have a right to insist on a specific airline of your choice, they get to decide this. How far you can push depends on what is considered ‘reasonable’ (and note that opinions on this do vary).

However, within the AJB you won’t have any fight from BA at all on any routing, so I’d suggest you research suitable itineraries you can suggest if the worst does happen. Given how many options it opens up I imagine it’s unlikely you’ll need a routing outside of the AJB, but if you have a reasonable reason why you do, then by all means suggest it on the day, and note that airports teams have far greater flexibility than call centre ones.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Hopefully the worst case scenario is an earlier flight out of Edinburgh.
gcuk likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

If we do come a cropper on Monday can we ask them to put us on United?

I appreciate that a late cancellation will still cause us problems but this seems to be the best alternative out of Edinburgh.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I do not believe the people on the phone line would put you on United

The people in EDI might have more fleibility to make a change like that
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If we do come a cropper on Monday can we ask them to put us on United?

I appreciate that a late cancellation will still cause us problems but this seems to be the best alternative out of Edinburgh.
BA do have an agreement in place with United. We have previously been switched to United from a BA mis connect. However, this was on the day and done at the airport. Your situation is going to be different insomuch that you are likely to have some advance notice.
No Harm in asking though if your connecting flight is cancelled.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Here's hoping it's not needed!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:22 am
Original Poster

A more general question about Heathrow. We land at T5 and leave from T5, do we just go straight to the departure lounge when we get off our flight from EDI or do we go through security again?

Basically, are we likely to hit a queue anywhere between flights?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A more general question about Heathrow. We land at T5 and leave from T5, do we just go straight to the departure lounge when we get off our flight from EDI or do we go through security again?

Basically, are we likely to hit a queue anywhere between flights?
It is just a bp check for domestic arrivals when connecting on to a T5 flight. If there are a few domestic flights arriving together there may be a short queue at the bp check gates, but otherwise it shouldn't take you longer than a few minutes. Once that is done you go up the escalator and straight in to the airside departures area.
The _Banking_Scot and Mikey07 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.