Wiki Posts
Search

Manners are going downhill

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
​​​​​​The iPhone generation stuggle to look beyond themselves. Everything is done for how they look. A sorry state of affairs. Anything questioned is 'shaming'. Yes, things are going backwards, even in the lounge. Decency is rare it seems.
.. it is very difficult to ignore people with a phone in one hand taking centre stage, 'booming' or should I say broadcasting! Whether I want to be involved or not, it is a photo here, a video there, and facetime too.
The types I witness booming and broadcasting on mobile phones are not generally of the iPhone generation. Rather a generation or two more advanced.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
People often think things are getting worse despite all evidence showing the opposite - it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case here. There's probably a name for it as well!
Well on this one I struggle to see any evidence to the opposite! Generally all the evidence I see is that people are far less considerate for others than they used to be!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Well on this one I struggle to see any evidence to the opposite! Generally all the evidence I see is that people are far less considerate for others than they used to be!
Or there are more people travelling than it used to be, so also the amount of rude, impolite and selfish people is higher (and it's always the bad that stands out and makes a lasting impression).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:32 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by BOH
I would absolutely do it - see an earlier thread from around September when I happily stood up to someone hogging something in the T5 lounge to the exclusion of all other passengers in the vicinity. It is the only language some selfish oafs understand and am a firm believer if more people stood up to these individuals they might just modify their behaviour and realise there are other people on the planet apart from themselves.

I have never been involved in a conflict either with anyone. I think they maybe realised they were doing wrong and it took another person to take a firm line. More should stand up to people like this, I really recommend it. Happy Christmas ^
By stood up to... you mean the guy that felt someone was using too many plugs, charging too many devices, so passive aggressively waited for them to turn their back and decided it was in their remit to interfer with their property.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

And you obviously do it in restaurants too.
In fairness the BA lounge is not a restaurant, it's a seating area with refreshments. It's quite a different thing to clear your own restaurant table , and so put a few crisp packets in the bin in the lounge.

As the thread says manners are going downhill! Remember FlyerTalkersl it's nice to be nice!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by yytleisure

I generally see this type boorish behaviour in self important, overweight middle aged men and women. Most in the “iPhone generation” - whatever that is - are sitting quietly in a corner texting with headphones in. It’s the self important business types of a certain age that scream into their phones and bluetooths in the middle of crowded areas oblivious to others, or blocking up aisles or cutting queues.

See, I can generalize too. Now we can both be wrong.

Idiots come in all shapes, sizes, colours and ages. It’s usually jealousy (of youth for example) that makes people generalize like that.

You have your opinion for sure, but you can also be sure many people do not agree in this jealousy of youth (myth). That is a remarkably outrageous claim. I cannot think of much that people would be jealous of. Certainly this does not pre-dispose itself in being irritated by people broadcasting their bad manners! I am not jealous of any young people today, who I accept face some bigger challenges than previous generations - income, social media, sensationalism, housing, etc. But decency should not be limited by the fact that if people aren't "called up on it" (a horrible phrase used by the youth today), then the assumption is that their behaviour is acceptable.

But then with the current flock of celebrities as role models, how can one expect the right manners. There is even a youtuber with a million subscribers going around asking for free food in London as a 'hack' or ;challenge'! The video has 95% positive votes (from his young fan base) as if to say this is a great thing to do that he is doing. Taking food that would otherwise be left for homeless people? Recording people in their place of work and making them uncomfortable by asking these questions? A different generation of person. In my day, people would have pride and not see this behaviour as something remarkable that should be broadcast. For someone of my generation this behaviour seems very arrogant and unjust, but nowadays people are celebrating it and making money from it. Similarly, I watched a video at the weekend of parkour on Paris rooftops where kids enjoy jumping over hundreds of rooftops. Making money and enjoying it at the expense of hundreds of others (hearing this jumping on their roof) is how the young seem to be.

It is true that the self-important business type person who must get his (or her) way is common and this behaviour is also poor. But I can reason with this type of person because I can see it as someone living their job and being taken out of their person. Someone simply being disruptive so that people can see them, and then mocking others in public, or being intimidating, this is a different tale. One is deliberately making someone uncomfortable and not caring, the other is someone stressed by their work.

Taking all the above in consideration, how can it be a surprise when this behaviour shows itself in the lounge. The only thing I can do is try to stay away from interactions with this type. But I can certainly emphathise with others in what I see is a modern trend of people being inconsiderate, whether as a result of someone young, middle aged, or old.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 27, 2018 at 2:22 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:12 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Maybe it has something to do with an airline that created a ticketing model of punitive fees and charges with everything that used to be part of the ticket from selecting a seat on a premium fare, interairlining a bag on two of their own tickets to a beverage discontinued, reduced their staff, offshored their call centers and seem unable to go a season without multiple crippling IT failures and data breaches. All of this and their idea of management is to roll out an idiot I’m a floursencent vest to try and blame some external factor.

Then there’s a security protocol with no reasoning behind it other than to harass and infuriate. A long queue, a million dollar scanner and an extra line item in the ticket price fees/charges and still the need to strip off a regular watch or belt and wait for a gruff litlle security man to tear himself away from a conversation with his colleagues to stare at a minuiture shampoo bottle and try and figure out 3.5fl oz.

Then you get to the plane where your club ticket now no longer buys even an inch of extra leg room, your coat must be balled up and crammed on top of a bag, there’s a bio hazard situation of dust and debris around your seat, the seat squeeze means you have to fight for bin space, reclining your seat your seat an inch sends the person behind you fuming and into a rant on this twitter thing everyone with half a brain seems to be on...

Did I forget anything. Those bloody yellow tags of shame maybe?

Is anyone still wondering why respect for others and common decency went out the door when the system has been reduced to a pay more, get less, dog eat dog, free for all?

Last edited by amt; Dec 27, 2018 at 2:33 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by callum9999
The only way to elicit change in those individuals is if you have power over them (i.e. the lounge attendant can tell them to resolve the issue or get out). It's incredibly annoying, but there simply isn't a solution to every issue.
​​​
Agreed, there's no simple solution. It's not always possible or appropriate to check offensive behaviour, but that doesn't mean we should not look for ways. The public space is governed by consensual norms. It doesn't require someone in authority to police them. We're all collectively responsible, so everyone can (and in my opinion should, within reason) do their bit to enforce the norms. If you ask you someone to be more civil it's best to do it in a civil way - calm, direct (not passive aggressive) and polite. 'Excuse me, I don't mean to cause offence but would you mind keeping your feet off the seats/the volume down, not flicking your bogies in my direction" etc. Said with a smile of course, not a snarl.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
How do peoples manners compare in other airlines lounges not just BAs, better, worse or same?
The behaviour I have witnessed in the JAL lounges has been exceptional. Very rarely have I witnessed any antisocial behaviour.
Similarly I've found the CX lounges to be good along with many paid lounges.

IB/LH/LX/BA/AA inconsistent with good and bad. QR (Al-Mourjan) fairly poor and AC (YYZ) was the worst by far. It sounds silly to say it, but the worst tend to be the busiest.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The types I witness booming and broadcasting on mobile phones are not generally of the iPhone generation. Rather a generation or two more advanced.
Maybe you have been travelling too readily with Saga.
But I can assure you that outside of this tour groups, including school groups, there are many still running around pointing cameras, knocking you, and generally being unabashed about it. Some even enjoying it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The FL at JNB is tiny by any standard and it doesn't take much for the limited premier experience to be ruined. Cue some GC carrying ex-boyband character and his entourage to enter and start having transatlantic conversations with their brats back home whilst chain-swigging beers. After enduring several minutes of this, I tentatively piped up - much to the mortification of my husband - and requested that they show some respect for those within earshot. They complied to some extent, but other pax nearby started saying they'd enjoyed overhearing the conversations - and they were all older than me. So the unsocial behaviour of the DYKWIA entourage was vindicated and I felt guilty. I don't know what older folk are coming to.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Postdoc
The FL at JNB is tiny by any standard and it doesn't take much for the limited premier experience to be ruined. Cue some GC carrying ex-boyband character and his entourage to enter and start having transatlantic conversations with their brats back home whilst chain-swigging beers. After enduring several minutes of this, I tentatively piped up - much to the mortification of my husband - and requested that they show some respect for those within earshot. They complied to some extent, but other pax nearby started saying they'd enjoyed overhearing the conversations - and they were all older than me. So the unsocial behaviour of the DYKWIA entourage was vindicated and I felt guilty. I don't know what older folk are coming to.
I'm sorry to hear of this unpleasant experience.
Crowd mentality at its worst - I watched a programme about how to stop a riot and it basically said that in groups people feel they can get away with so much more.
It certainly seems to be the case here. So unnecessary.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
​​​​​​The iPhone generation
Whilst there are some in the aforementioned generation who are short sighted and generally idiots, the elder generations are very quick to cast aspersions on the younger generations whilst failing to see their own faults and lack of manners.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Orange.Man
Whilst there are some in the aforementioned generation who are short sighted and generally idiots, the elder generations are very quick to cast aspersions on the younger generations whilst failing to see their own faults and lack of manners.
Of course it can work both ways, but there is a clear bias. The ratio I've experienced is about 10:1.
I can see why they would become intolerant and frustrated by this and want to vent.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm sorry to hear of this unpleasant experience.
Crowd mentality at its worst - I watched a programme about how to stop a riot and it basically said that in groups people feel they can get away with so much more.
It certainly seems to be the case here. So unnecessary.
I agree. There was one woman in particular, immediately in front of the FaceTalking group, who seemed to take a vicarious thrill in stoking the unpleasant dynamic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.