Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESTA Panic

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Before I lived here in the US but used to travel a fair bit back and forward, I've actually applied for the ESTA while waiting to check in at T5
I was checking passengers at a gate on a flight to New York and a couple of the passengers had to apply whilst af the gate. They were still applying when the gate should have closed but we held off for a few minutes just to see if they got approved which luckily for them they did.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
It's quite hard to find an official answer on this but it looks like as long as you currently have an ESTA and have visited the US on an ESTA some time before (since 2008) you can use the APC terminals. I had assumed that you needed to have visited on *this* ESTA but that seems not to have been the case. No mention has been made of passport renewal voiding this ability although it does void your ESTA.
The exception to this is if your airline, home country and arrival airport participate in Simplified Arrivals. If they do, then you will not be asked to scan fingerprints or use a Kiosk, you will be asked if you're entering for business or leisure by a CBP officer then stamped through (I believe the airline transmits your passport photo with APIS and this is biometrically matched by CBP on arrival). You'll actually be processed in the US Passports Only lanes if this is the case. Currently, only available when flying with Delta, Jet Blue, British Airways, Lufthansa and Air New Zealand when flying into (or clearing at) Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, New York JFK, San Diego, Houston (Intercontinental and Hobby), Washington Dulles, Las Vegas, Chicago O’Hare, Aruba, Abu Dhabi, and Ireland (Shannon and Dublin) - as referenced on this CBP release.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
It's quite hard to find an official answer on this but it looks like as long as you currently have an ESTA and have visited the US on an ESTA some time before (since 2008) you can use the APC terminals. I had assumed that you needed to have visited on *this* ESTA but that seems not to have been the case. No mention has been made of passport renewal voiding this ability although it does void your ESTA.
My experience is that for a NEW passport, the machines don't work, but for NEW ESTAs, it's fine...but data point of 1, i.e. the time I last renewed my passport. I used to have US visa before since I worked there, and so my passport before that one, couldn't use ESTA....

tb
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was shepherded into a room in EWR once to buy an ESTA, after the CBP officer noted that my current one was no longer current, having expired the day previously. Computer and printer were provided free and I was delayed about 20 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:20 am

Inbound LAX earlier this month ALL pax traveling under VIsa Waiver was sent via the APC-terminals, and then separated after that into a "fast lane" and a "slow lane" (those with "X" on their slip)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SoiDog
A quick question (possibly a little off topic): I'm travelling from LHR to JFK in the New Year and have just renewed my passport and my ESTA. Will I be able to use the returning ESTA lane?
Originally Posted by BobServant
Well this is one of these incredibly helpful nuggets one picks up from time to time.

I have existing passport, a new ESTA but have been to the US several times on the previous ESTA and had struggled to find anything definitive on this. I shall report back later in the week.
I went through ORD with a new passport and EST earlier this year. I used the APC terminals, and it allowed me through. However, I got a big black cross on my receipt, and was then required to do the full fingerprint scan rather that just the single finger.

Note that APC at ORD is useless, as you just filter to the back of the regular queue. I may or may not have whinged about this 10 times on here already
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Discus
Inbound LAX earlier this month ALL pax traveling under VIsa Waiver was sent via the APC-terminals, and then separated after that into a "fast lane" and a "slow lane" (those with "X" on their slip)
Last time at LAX I got an X on the slip and was quicker in the "slow" or "naughty" land than those in the "fast" lane

ORD in Oct all pax with ESTA were sent to to APC kiosks and then sorted into X and non X
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
From reading the official website it is my understanding that when using a NEW passport for the first time you must see a CBP officer at point of entry for your passport to be verified and that trying to use the APC machines will result in an automatic X on the slip of paper. Subsequent entries on that passport should then be fine using APC as long as you have a current and valid ESTA regardless of whether it is a new ESTA or not.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Good news, the wife got through (although had the advanced security checks at LHR). Pleasantly surprised by no queue at JFK, arrived an half hour early and already at the hotel!! Now where’s by double whiskey?!

thanks all for your comments, it did set my mind at ease, and hopefully can help others also.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
No issues using the machines at LAX in Oct with a new ESTA.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8689966.html

“Real-time approvals will no longer be available and arriving at the airport without a previously approved ESTA will likely result in being denied boarding."

"While the US authorities have always advised that applications are made at least three days in advance, many travellers have had their ESTA granted almost instantly – including passengers who turn up at the airport without the permit. But a news <sic> reminder on the front page of the official site warns: “Apply for ESTA no later than 72 hours before departing for the United States." "
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BobServant

Well this is one of these incredibly helpful nuggets one picks up from time to time.

I have existing passport, a new ESTA but have been to the US several times on the previous ESTA and had struggled to find anything definitive on this. I shall report back later in the week.
For whatever reason the e-terminals weren’t in use for non-US/ GE people and we were sent to speak to an actual human. This was JFK T7, mid afternoon on 18/12.

We landed well ahead of schedule, Very good experience of US Border Control and we were in our transfer and snarled up on the freeway by the time we were meant to be landing.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Resuming this just to share my experience.

Flying tomorrow morning 8.40am to ORD from LHR. Try to do OLCI. No luck. I thought this was the usual SSSS thing but no. IT WAS ME. I incredibly forgot to renew ESTA.

Thus, at -24 hrs I rush on the ESTA website, very much in the mood of the OP. Fill in everything. No instant approval given.

Luckily, after 4 hrs I was approved and I managed to complete OLCI. A risky near miss indeed!
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
It’s a horrible feeling but great sense of relief when you finally get it accepted / physically step into US.

Well done on checking anyway!! Imagine turning up at Heathrow without it 🙈
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
GaxxyFlyer completed Aus e-Visitor at airport. We’ve applied twice and on both occasions Mrs Killaypirate approved in 10 mins while mine took 3 days.CBP at JFK made a hash of her entry one time mixed up our passports, she got taken off and had to wait while they processed arrivals without passports or visas. Every time since she has had the X on her ESTA slip. Recently renewed for our April trip so hopefully everything OK but always fret I’ve made a stupid mistake on the application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.