Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strange message about surface sector on upgrade attempt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver

Looking at my wife's open-jaw booking LHR to KUL on BA33 and back on SIN to LHR on BA12, just clicked "Upgrade this flight with Avios" and we receive this message:

We are very sorry that we cannot process this request on ba.com because the journey includes a surface sector. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking
Gotta love BA.com
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Did you check first if there is Avios availability for the cabin you want? If there is - and you're eligible phone up to do the upgrade. I haven't ever successfully managed this using the upgrade button even when everything is correct including availability!
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:17 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by johnny5a
Looking at my wife's open-jaw booking LHR to KUL on BA33 and back on SIN to LHR on BA12, just clicked "Upgrade this flight with Avios" and we receive this message:

Gotta love BA.com
I'm not sure what's strange here. Your wife does have a surface sector - KUL-SIN. It's just a synonym for open jaw isn't it?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Did you check first if there is Avios availability for the cabin you want? If there is - and you're eligible phone up to do the upgrade. I haven't ever successfully managed this using the upgrade button even when everything is correct including availability!
+1

check first for reward availability on ba.com, and if there is just call to do the UuA. Don't worry about it not working on MMB - it rarely does!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I’ve had this before. The only way is to call. I’ve even had this message when it hasn’t been an open jaw.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by dsf
I'm not sure what's strange here. Your wife does have a surface sector - KUL-SIN. It's just a synonym for open jaw isn't it?
To the unitiated who are unfamiliar with airline jargon it is unusual!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
ARNK!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm religious about adding any missing ARNKs to every PNR I touch...
Anonba and Speedbird676 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.