Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club world catering on BA191 today [menu included game produce]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club world catering on BA191 today [menu included game produce]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
For the love of god, go to a supermarket like ASDA that sells game e.g. pheasant and it will clearly stipulate the bullet thing. Why is this such a shock to people now? Would one rather bite on a bullet without any prior warning and go through legal hell? I doubt it. Not to mention it's ONLY A CHANCE NOT A GUARANTEE!!!

come on people get a grip!!!
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There is an appetiser on the current westbound First transatlantic menu with a similar warning (the rabbit and ham hock terrine, which is very tasty).
Looking over various menus it seems like BA adds various unappetising facts (“unpasteurised cheese may be unsafe for pregnant women”, “crab chowder may contain fragments of shell” etc). I don’t recall seeing anything along these lines on any other menu with any other airline- is this just a british thing or am I suffering amnesia?

Originally Posted by ilcannone
For the love of god, go to a supermarket like ASDA that sells game e.g. pheasant and it will clearly stipulate the bullet thing. Why is this such a shock to people now? Would one rather bite on a bullet without any prior warning and go through legal hell? I doubt it. Not to mention it's ONLY A CHANCE NOT A GUARANTEE!!!

who can I write in to complain if my dinner doesn’t complain bullet fragments? 😉
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:59 am

Pheasants are shot with pellets from a shot gun, not bullets.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
My point still stands regardless of your straw clutching.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
As someone who once enthusiastically bit a piece of shot in my dinner at Thornbury Castle, costing me a trip to the dentist, I'd both appreciate and heed the warning.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
As someone who once enthusiastically bit a piece of shot in my dinner at Thornbury Castle, costing me a trip to the dentist, I'd both appreciate and heed the warning.
Now this is sense.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
And damn decent it was too

(which I discovered due to a somewhat impulsive upgrade on Monday. Who exactly do I sue on FT regarding what may become an unhealthy desire to be on the 747 UD)
Was it the same dish-Venison stew?

It would be nice to see what this looks like if anyone has a pic they can post.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:27 am

My point still stands regardless of your straw clutching.
Your point didn'td stand as you're ranting about something no one has complained about...
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by simon stingray
Was it the same dish-Venison stew?

It would be nice to see what this looks like if anyone has a pic they can post.
Yes, but sadly I didn't think to take a pic
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Apparently the bacon option for the F lounge burger contains pork.

I shoukd jolly well hope so as it isn’t bacon otherwise
PAL62V likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
Your point didn'td stand as you're ranting about something no one has complained about...
Of course, please, forgive me o mighty one, for I have forsaken the common opinion on here.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Of course pheasants are shot with pellets. Hence the warning often given to diners unaccustomed to shot in game birds. It looks like something has been lost in translation at BA regarding venison and the use of the word bullet. An amusing thread.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Of course pheasants are shot with pellets. Hence the warning often given to diners unaccustomed to shot in game birds. It looks like something has been lost in translation at BA regarding venison and the use of the word bullet. An amusing thread.
I don’t think BA have lost anything in translation.

Some deer are slaughtered in abbatoirs, but a significant number of farmed deer are indeed shot. They are shot with bullets, so the BA warning is correct.

It it is illegal (see sch 2 to the Deer Act, if you’re interested!) to kill a deer in the UK with a shotgun. They are shot with rifles (and, therefore, bullets).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Lots of bullets have a lead core, but they are covered in a copper jacket (thus the phrase "full metal jacket") so the lead is covered in copper. As a general rule, you wouldn't want to use as cast lead bullets in a rifle anyway. It's ok in large calibre handguns, such as a .45 where the muzzle velocity is slow (about 800 ft/sec), but not in a fast rifle. The rule of thumb is to keep muzzle velocity under 1000 ft/sec for lead bullets, otherwise you get lead transfer to the barrel of the gun, which affects accuracy of subsequent shots and is hard to clean out. A typical rifle bullet velocity is just under 3000 ft/second, so quite unsuited to to plain lead bullets. I can't recall ever recall seeing a non-jacketed bullet in rifle calibres.

I think the disclaimer in the BA menu is a legal thing, and the chances of actually finding a bullet fragment are quite small. Usually a jacketed bullet will pass right through the animal intact. There is a possibility a plastic tipped bullet was used, those mushroom upon impact, but it would likely be a portion of the copper jacket you might find. Even then, they tend to stay in one piece. Good news is the chances of lead contact with the meat is basically zero.

You'd have to be very close and lucky to kill a deer with a shotgun, I can see why it's illegal. You'd probably just injure the animal, not kill it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by chris87

I don’t think BA have lost anything in translation.

Some deer are slaughtered in abbatoirs, but a significant number of farmed deer are indeed shot. They are shot with bullets, so the BA warning is correct.

It it is illegal (see sch 2 to the Deer Act, if you’re interested!) to kill a deer in the UK with a shotgun. They are shot with rifles (and, therefore, bullets).
I was alluding to the wording being more in line with pellet fragments found in birds. I'm aware of how deer are shot. It is highly unlikely that a fragment of bullet would not be taken care of in the butchery process. Never have I known anyone to have a problem of this kind.Venison and pheasant are used often at home but not sourced through supermarkets or deer farms. Never have I seen a warning of this kind on a restaurant menu regarding venison. Game birds, yes.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.