Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied entry - return flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of these decisions are made by local authorities. Depending on the circumstances, the individual may be held in custody, may be "paroled" for however much time it is until the next flight, or may simply be told to wait for a few hours. There is no "right" answer to this and many of these decisions will be influenced by current relations between the nations involved.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
So surely the correct approach would be to go and sit in the toilets at LED for a couple of hours until midnight passes, and then go and speak to immigration at that point...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always had the impression that the carrier is obligated to return the person even if doing so means that they must VDB/IDB another passenger. However, in the case of Russia, they might need to be sure to pick someone for when the additional day would not mean an overstay of that person's visa.

Also, if the carrier doesn't have a flight returning the same day (which I suspect is generally not the case for Russia), would the carrier be obligated to rebook the person on some other airline?
In most countries the airline is responsible for the cost of returning the passenger but that does not mean it will necessarily be on their plane (even though in practice that is the preferred scenario because it makes everyone’s life easier).

Ultimately, as mentioned, this is all about immigration authorities (or courts, if the authorities’ decision is challenged) decisions. There are many possible ways to resolve this from relatively innocuous to very unpleasant.

incidentally in the case described in the op of the visa starting 24 hours after arrival, I would have expected some conciliatory resolution in many countries, but this is Russia and admittedly bureaucracy can be rather challenging there...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was actually denied entry to a country once, and my best friend was as well (different country). In both cases, the immigration people asked us to buy tickets on the return flights of the airplanes that carried us, and in both cases, we instinctively said this wasn't possible. The airlines didn't make any effort to charge us, presumably because the money is trivial compared to the value of being able to serve countries X and Y.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:58 am

Not what I should be reading when heading to LED on my second 1 night “tourist” visa in 5 weeks next week. Has anyone had issues with using multiple tourist visa’s in Russia? I shall be applying for a proper working one in January as this project seems to be kicking off, but there just hasn’t been time this year!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:15 am

I have always got away with it, though it can make one feel a little fraught!
Joshm300 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I once had a situation where I was denied entry in a country due to too many entries and exceeding the 180 day maximum in the last 12 months. Lufthansa actually had to bump someone off the return flight so I could get on and the flight posted to my mileage account as full Y when I did a retro claim using the data from my bp. I came there on a one way ticket and had a separate one way ticket going back on LX (both issued by BMI Diamond Club) which wasn't of interest to them.

Also the purser has to keep your passport and return it to you short before landing.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Surely the most important question here is if you arrive in F/J, are you returned in the same cabin you booked or dumped into Y?
If the latter, I wouldn't like to be denied entry to Australia..
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Joshm300
Not what I should be reading when heading to LED on my second 1 night “tourist” visa in 5 weeks next week. Has anyone had issues with using multiple tourist visa’s in Russia? I shall be applying for a proper working one in January as this project seems to be kicking off, but there just hasn’t been time this year!
Never been an issue BUT you should be on a business visa instead. That will be more of a red flag. I went on multiple business visa's until I got my 1yr business visa sorted. Needing the apostille and tax authority documents can drag that out a bit.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by noFODplease
Surely the most important question here is if you arrive in F/J, are you returned in the same cabin you booked or dumped into Y?
If the latter, I wouldn't like to be denied entry to Australia..
In my case, my ticket was in Y, but they handed me a (handwritten) J boarding place on the flight back (excellent service btw; I think the crew felt sorry for me).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

incidentally in the case described in the op of the visa starting 24 hours after arrival, I would have expected some conciliatory resolution in many countries, but this is Russia and admittedly bureaucracy can be rather challenging there...
please don’t be ridiculous... such immigration practice (denying an entry) is standard. It happened to a Russian scholar visiting the UK and arriving on a visa which was valid, but not the correct one for the type of visit. Travel documents must be in order period.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
I travel to Russia quite frequently and - in my experience - the whole immigration process (getting a visa/going through a passport control) is on the whole much easier than it’s ever been.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tenn_ace

please don’t be ridiculous... such immigration practice (denying an entry) is standard. It happened to a Russian scholar visiting the UK and arriving on a visa which was valid, but not the correct one for the type of visit. Travel documents must be in order period.
It is not ridiculous. Yes, absolutely, you should travel with the correct paperwork, but to think that problems with it always necessarily result in denied entry is simply inaccurate. Both cases - someone with a valid visa but which was requested to start a day later, someone who duly obtained a visa but the wrong type assuming it was not an ‘easier’ type (eg get a holiday visa when you’d have needed a working one is different from get a holiday visa when you’d have needed a conference one) and where the appropriate visa application would have required the same paperwork are situations where in most countries, the authorities would have discretion to requalify and end up allowing entry. Other cases that can be resolved are minor clerical mistakes such as misspelling your middle name in an online application etc. Obviously discretion is just that, it doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily be allowed and officers will usually assess the seriousness, the intention, the history etc but immigration authorities have options.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by :D!
£2000 is the UK's fine for bringing an improperly documented passenger to the UK, but it varies by country e.g. up to $4300 in the US and up to C$3200 in Canada. No idea how much Russia would fine.
Russian fine is currently 100,000 Russian Ruble.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
More fool the passenger who couldn't check their visa corresponded with the tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.