Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:15 am

I've had 2 in two years flying as crew, once into Chicago as the previous aircraft was still on the runway and once into Aberdeen in some absolutely hideous weather. Whilst they aren't particularly common, they are much more so than rejected take offs which are very rare, during my initial training the trainer had experienced one in 23 years of flying as crew.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I have had two, both on EY. One into LHR and one into MEL, both the A380.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I had one on BA coming into EDI earlier this year. As we swung out over the Forth to bank left left towards Cramond we picked up a strong tailwind, and just as we reached the shoreline the throttle went up and we went around. "Too fast for comfort" said the cap'n. Banked right over the bridges and over Fife for 15 minutes to reconfigure, then landed safely at the second go.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Whilst coming back from HEL this morning, I saw a Delta A330 go-around on 27R at LHR.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
About 5 or 6 years ago I was in the VCR at LHR (getting the 'VIP' tour as a thank you for some work I'd done) and was plugged into the departures station, just listening in. All of a sudden some alarm goes off, lights too IIRC, and there's a go around due to an aircraft being slow to vacate the runway. The arrivals ATCO was mightily narked as they'd lined up a near perfect arrivals sequence to maximise use of the runway.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Fontana
Whilst coming back from HEL this morning, I saw a Delta A330 go-around on 27R at LHR.

Here's the video of that Delta -

Plus few others that was captured couple of days ago -
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Streamed live on 29 November. Four hours of nail biting action. Conditions get dicey from 0:50:00 onwards

Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Have to say I love a go-around- something about the flip in power. Happened today on BA1399 from MAN, apparently due to late clearance- I would say we were about 20 ft off from 1F, Flightradar24 has it down as 0ft but didn’t feel us touch.

crazy8534 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Have to say I love a go-around- something about the flip in power. Happened today on BA1399 from MAN, apparently due to late clearance- I would say we were about 20 ft off from 1F, Flightradar24 has it down as 0ft but didn’t feel us touch.
It was SK505 in front of you; it does look tight!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by TedToToe
It was SK505 in front of you; it does look tight!
indeed, I think the Mumbai flight went around later too as an Asiana flight was slow to vacate.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by navylad
Agreed- they are brilliant in retrospect (once you are back safely of course!). I have a feeling that if you actually touch down it is called a “baulked landing” or something?
Heathrow Tower likes this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Dec 5, 2022 at 11:52 pm
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Three in over 1200 flights for me:

- A slightly rocky one with KL at LCY

- A plain-vanilla one with BA at LCY

- A dramatic near-vertical climb on a BMI 767 after wheels were on the ground at GYD. This managed to shake loose the business class trolley and sent the crockery/cutlery and various broken pieces there-of flying down the cabin. Captain was quite sure he saw a crane on the runway.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by flyingnomad
- A dramatic near-vertical climb on a BMI 767 after wheels were on the ground at GYD. This managed to shake loose the business class trolley and sent the crockery/cutlery and various broken pieces there-of flying down the cabin. Captain was quite sure he saw a crane on the runway.
Eurasian or Siberian?

Just one go around for me, an OA Shorts 330 at ATH. The cockpit door flew open! I don't believe it was part of any emergency evacuation procedure!
flyingnomad likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Which type???

flyingnomad likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:17 am

I experience my first ever go-around in November at Hannover - back wheels touched down and then we rocketed back up. It certainly made everyone on board wake up and pay more attention to what was going on! Conditions seemed very calm, no discernible gusts or turbulence, so I’d be curious what caused it.

As navylad says, you really feel the power of the engines when they’re called upon - far more than a regular take-off. Good to know they have an extra (however many) percentage power for these situations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.