Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
In 30 years' flying only one, landing at GIB. Some tiresome Spanish fisherman in our way, according to the captain.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kingcole974

If this was about 15 years ago, iI was on the exact same flight.

And on my way to GIB the pilot had two weather related go arounds with one touch and go before giving up and landing in Malaga
15 years sounds about right. Small world!
What was worse was the situation for a lady in the row behind me, who was unwell and on oxygen (might have been a panic attack or similar). They had to take the oxygen off her for approach, subsequent GA and eventual landing. She was met by paramedics while the old bill took care of matey boy at the back.

Oddly enough, I have never experienced a go around into GIB.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've had 2 in 10 years, one was a go around when landing in Chicago, apparently due to "debri on the runway", this was a real shock to the system as max power was applied and we literally shot upwards! 2nd one wasn't quite so dramatic, it was a touch and go landing in Dublin, apprently due to wind shear.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:28 am

I must have had about 8 in total both as pilot and self loading freight. Last one was in Dubai as a passenger a few years ago. As already pointed out 09L is making the twitchy fingers over the TOGA switches more previlant of late as a far greater number of “land after” clearances are being given. This means that we can accept a landing clearance and continue right over the threshold given a few extra seconds for the aircraft ahead to be visually clear of the runway before we touch down. Of course we need to be able to identify and keep the aircraft ahead in sight the entire time.

As as mentioned on previous threads we can still go around right up to the point that reverse thrust is selected.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by roelb
So you can imagine that I was quite surprised when my better half finally arrived and she told me that they told the passengers that there was another plane on the runway. Blatant lie..
I can to a point see why they've said it was something else though, if the pilots had come on the PA and said they'd forgotten to set the plane up properly for landing and has to go around, I imagine quite a few pax would not be flying that airline again.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
I can to a point see why they've said it was something else though, if the pilots had come on the PA and said they'd forgotten to set the plane up properly for landing and has to go around, I imagine quite a few pax would not be flying that airline again.
a configuration problem doesn’t mean they forgot to set up the plane properly. It could be anything from a red light on one of the gear to flaps not setting as commanded.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had one once and absolutely loved it! Wanted to have this happen to me and it did last year going into Gatwick, Pilot said we were at about 500 feet because of a previous landing aircraft hadn't vacated runway!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
A go-around is no big deal. How many drivers have needed more than one attempt to parallel park and that is far easier than landing an aircraft? It doesn't matter whether the go-around was caused by a pilot oversight or an air traffic issue. It is better to go around than to than have the pilot proceed with an approach in which he does not have full confidence.
Waterhorse and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

I live near SAN. This is a city known for living with the constant flow of low flying aircraft as the approach is right beside the downtown area. It is not an uncommon sight to see go arounds. It's gotten to the point where I don't even have to see them..I can tell one is happening by the sound.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

A go around from another perspective... I was playing golf at Barshaw Park in Paisley in my youth and the 14th hole looks towards GLA which isn’t too far away. As we walked towards the green I saw an aircraft on approach with another aircraft behind it that seemed way too close. The first aircraft dropped out of sight behind the terrain shortly followed by the 2nd aircraft. Next thing there are 2 different roars one right after the other as the first aircraft deploys reverse thrusters and the second plane executes a go around and pops back up above the hillside in front of us.

Im guessing that ATC messed up the spacing on that one.
Do you have any ATC experience? Yes it might have been an ATC misjudgement, but it might also have been one of myriad other reasons, or multiple reasons in combination.

Unless you knew exactly what was going on in the radar room, the VCR and the cockpits of both aircraft, then yes, you are very much guessing. Even I wouldn’t dream of guessing the reasons for a missed approach unless I knew all the facts.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
6 or 7 in the last ~10 years, although none on BA.

Mix of runway not being clear, bad weather and one with landing gear issues.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
2 or 3 on same flight

I've had either 2 or 3 go around on the same flight. A 767 arriving from Stockholm, which was caused by a young child aged about 5-6, who refused to sit in her seat with seat belt on.

The Senior FA was remonstrating with the mother, who came across as pretty useless. The mother was claiming to the FA 'You clearly don't have children as you don't know how hard it is to get them to behave' to which the FA replied 'I've got 3 and if they behaved like yours, they'd be dead'

The pilot came out to have a discussion with the parents on landing.

I was in the same row as this, so seeing/hearing all this first hand, but it was a few years ago now.

We eventually landed with the parents physically restraining the now screaming child.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

Do you have any ATC experience? Yes it might have been an ATC misjudgement, but it might also have been one of myriad other reasons, or multiple reasons in combination.

Unless you knew exactly what was going on in the radar room, the VCR and the cockpits of both aircraft, then yes, you are very much guessing. Even I wouldn’t dream of guessing the reasons for a missed approach unless I knew all the facts.
Does visiting the GLA control tower for a day back in 1981 count? I was still at school and the school careers officer managed to arrange a visit for me as it was my career ambition to be an ATC. That dream died when NATS found out how poor my eyesight was back then.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Just one for me - on a miserably wet and windy approach to ZQN (Queenstown, New Zealand) with ANZ a couple of years ago and I loved it! Apparently the wind had shifted and had become a tailwind at the last minute. We diverted to CHC and sat there for a while before returning to the scene - this time approaching from the opposite direction. Applause was heard on touchdown!

In pre 9/11 days, I was lucky enough to be in the jump seat for a BA A319 landing into LHR. I heard ATC ask the aircraft ahead of us to expedite their exit from the runway a couple of times and then listened to the crew on 'my' aircraft idly discussing when or if they would go around. All very matter of fact!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
And there's this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.