Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:23 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
We were descending and then gear up and engines spool up. Not my first go around so no big deal. Captain came on told us about the gear indicator light out (This was on an old AA MD80). Told us they were going to work the checklist but he thought it was a bulb. They worked the checklist for about 15-20 minutes and the Captain came back on to say it was the bulb. He did tell us there would be emergency equipment following the plane on landing. Came around and landed without incident.

Views of NYC were really nice. And yes it was my last go around.

Last edited by JTK; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: Added to the story
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I think I’ve only had 2 out of hundreds of flights, however both were on the same flight (!), about 20 years ago from YVR-SFO. My vague recollection was that in at least one of the attempts there was a plane passing underneath?

I didn’t feel worried at the time, mainly as I’d held off using the bathroom just before the seat belt sign first went on “as we’d be down shortly”, so was somewhat distracted by the uncomfortable pain I was in...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Originally Posted by JTK
Three were for aircraft on the ground PHX, ORD, LGA
Can you be sure about that? My significant other flew into AMS as a pax two weeks ago on a KL flight from LHR. I was following them on flightradar and noticed them executing a go-around. Curiousity got the better of me and I went over to liveatc.net to listen back to the conversation they had with the tower while waiting for her. The go-around in that case was called by the crew, and they cited a "configuration problem" as the reason. They were asked about the reason again, a minute or two later, by the tower, and again the answer from the flight deck was "aircraft configuration problem". So you can imagine that I was quite surprised when my better half finally arrived and she told me that they told the passengers that there was another plane on the runway. Blatant lie..
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Two from reasonable levels of leisure-only travel.

My first was ten years ago on a turboprop from Quito to Coca (OCC) in Ecuador, not sure who was operating, for what was supposed to be a quick hop over the Andes and a canoe trip on to a jungle lodge. It was a last-minute abort due to weather (heavy fog I think), a real slam back into your seat from quite near the ground, and we had to go back to Quito amidst visions of ending up a character in Alive 2. We were told to go and amuse ourselves outside the airport and we'd give it another go in 12 hours. That turned out to be a huge blessing as the previous day Iberia had left my luggage behind on the short connection in Madrid from LHR to Quito, and with the early morning original onward flight I had had no time to go shopping before leaving for the jungle, so I spent most of those 12 hours in Quito gratefully buying underwear and contact lens solution.

Since then I've had one on approach to LHR in a long-haul aircraft maybe a year or two ago, probably BA, but comparatively speaking I barely noticed and only vaguely remember it now from knowing that, prompted by it, I told the above story to my now-husband.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:03 pm

I’ve had 2 memorable ones. Once into JNB on the A380, the power of the plane was immense! Second was coming into SAN this summer, sitting rearwards at sunset meant I had some fantastic views of the navy base followed by a very close view of the small downtown. Have also had one on short haul but not so memorable as the two on those long sectors.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surprisingly, I've had a few....mostly weather related without any drama. I think the last one I had was when flying KLM to FCO and we had to go around as there was an Iberia aircraft in the way.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

I tend to think "Another aircraft was on the runway" is a standard fib. It implies "nothing is wrong and it's not our fault", which reassures the pax and protects the brand. Only once did I get what I thought was an honest reason from the flight crew when the captain simply said "I just didn't like how it was shaping up"
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'd say half a dozen or so in 40 years of flying. The worst was two on the same flight. Brutal winter conditions going into Sault Ste. Marie on a Nordair 737. The pilot made two approaches and on the third attempt put the plane down in the hardest landing I've ever experienced. Overheads flew open, O2 masks dropped, a food cart came loose. You know it's a rough landing when the cabin crew look shaken.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by babats
As often as pilots think necessary to ensure a safe landing
What an amazingly useful comment.

Perhaps I've got it wrong; but, it did feel like you are trying to belittle the OP here. He wasn't suggesting the pilots did it because it wasn't necessary Perhaps the pilot never even made the call?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I had two go-arounds coming into INN (Innsbruck) last Xmas, then diverted to MUC. Apparently it's fairly notorious as it's in a valley with frequent blankets of cloud & not much room to manoeuvre if there's a low cloud-base.

The only other time (probably out of 700-ish flights) was a bush pilot in Namibia, coming into a desert camp. Decided it was a bit too high/fast an approach, and did a *very* low ?-shaped go-around and came in from the opposite direction. I could see individual leaves on the trees, and feel the plane sliding down the line of the wings on the turn. Asked the pilot afterwards how high we were on the turn - I thought 200-300ft. She replied "nope, I was watching out for the telegraph poles".
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Most of mine have been weather related. One at ZQN and two at ALR on the same NZA flight where we ended up being diverted to IVC. Then two trying to land at MRY on UA and eventually being diverted to SFO. Only the last one with BA was LHR and traffic related, but was by far the worst, as it took enough time that we weren't able to visit the CCR.

I'm not sure, but I think the go around at the Glenorchy airport to scare away the sheep doesn't officially count, as it was expected that the pilot would have to do it.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I tend to think "Another aircraft was on the runway" is a standard fib. It implies "nothing is wrong and it's not our fault", which reassures the pax and protects the brand. Only once did I get what I thought was an honest reason from the flight crew when the captain simply said "I just didn't like how it was shaping up"
A go around from another perspective... I was playing golf at Barshaw Park in Paisley in my youth and the 14th hole looks towards GLA which isn’t too far away. As we walked towards the green I saw an aircraft on approach with another aircraft behind it that seemed way too close. The first aircraft dropped out of sight behind the terrain shortly followed by the 2nd aircraft. Next thing there are 2 different roars one right after the other as the first aircraft deploys reverse thrusters and the second plane executes a go around and pops back up above the hillside in front of us.

Im guessing that ATC messed up the spacing on that one.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
In that order?
yep in that order

see “eastern airlines flight 401” for an indication of when the bulb changing procedure goes awry!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:56 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
As a couple of others have mentioned, JER is notorious for go-arounds given the propensity for fog (the ILS is only cat 1 because of the surrounding terrain), and crosswinds can often be an issue too. I have had plenty, including one occasion with a very strong crosswind when the main wheels hit the runway hard before we went around. The captain came on to say that he had taken the view that to proceed with the landing would have been unsafe. On the second go he went around at 500 feet and back to LGW we went. Without casting aspersions about any other airlines, I do deliberately choose BA where possible at the height of the winter in JER for the professionalism of the crew and their familiarity with what can be quite a challenging approach.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:03 am

I had a dramatic one at Malaga AGP some years ago in a B727 when a Spanish nave AV8B crashed on the runway in front of us.AGP ATC were on the ball though and called the go around early. We were slightly unsure if we had been hit by any bits, so diverted and had a good look around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.