Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA’s Network Strategy in Central/Eastern Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Most certainly a topic which got discussed a number of times and that indeed generated some degree of interest amongst BA’s FlyerTalkers (normally triggered by threads along the lines of “BA to Belgrade/Gdańsk” and you name it). That said and further to some recent news featuring Air France restarting Belgrade services, but also KLM increasing Gdańsk up to 3 daily flights and launching their 4th destination in Poland (Wrocław) after Warsaw, Kraków & Gdańsk, not to mention a particularly marked presence of Lufthansa/Austrian not only in Poland (serving even minor airports such as Bydgoszcz or Rzeszów) but also within the Balkan region with all-year-round services to places such as Sarajevo, Pristina etc., I was wondering why BA doesn’t really ‘care’ about the above (and indeed beyond e.g. Minsk, Tbilisi etc.) mentioned markets? I’m not suggesting that they are wrong, clearly they are a very successful business and for several valid reasons, I was however trying to understand the reason(s) behind this particular strategy — perhaps low-cost presence but surely even some of those places would easily guarantee a ‘slice’ of market and connecting traffic needless to say?

G
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:11 am

I doubt they don’t care, it’s just they believe they can deploy their limited assets (aircraft, slots etc) more profitably elsewhere. Quite simple really
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
They did have a LGW-POZ summer service a few years back. That was brilliant but poorly advertised and only seem to last one season. Pity as useful to me, only other Lon-POZs are from LTN on wizz or STN on Ryan.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA strategy is to make money. It won't care what any other airline does unless if parallels a BA route

KL AMS-XXX = meh

Norwegian LGW-USA = kill them with fire!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Star Alliance practically 'owns' Eastern Europe. I don't know how big of a slice of passengers BA can get and whether there is money in it. LON is further away from all of these Eastern European cities, so it is pretty natural that people will opt to connect at FRA or VIE. P2P traffic to the UK is probably mostly low cost airlines. I am surprised myself that BA has such a limited presence here - only 1 flight a day from KBP, for example, while LH has several flights a day to its hubs. Eastern Europe gets little/no OW presence unfortunately. Plus, BA is surprisingly very expensive from some of the Eastern European markets.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:52 am

Start by making a list of which routes BA would drop or shift to LGW to free up slots for such routes and it looks very different.

LH feed people into their hubs, I doubt the routes would stack up if point to point as the other LCCs would be doing it (and in some cases are).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Star Alliance practically 'owns' Eastern Europe. I don't know how big of a slice of passengers BA can get and whether there is money in it. LON is further away from all of these Eastern European cities, so it is pretty natural that people will opt to connect at FRA or VIE. P2P traffic to the UK is probably mostly low cost airlines. I am surprised myself that BA has such a limited presence here - only 1 flight a day from KBP, for example, while LH has several flights a day to its hubs. Eastern Europe gets little/no OW presence unfortunately. Plus, BA is surprisingly very expensive from some of the Eastern European markets.
that is factually incorrect.
For short medium haul the biggest eastern European non soviet airlines are Wizz and Ryanair

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
please check facts before making strident assertions.
Please read what other posters write before replying. I did write that people mostly use low cost airlines for point-to-point travel, while Star Alliance airlines carry a significant share of connecting traffic. Not sure what exactly you wanted to 'correct.'

Also - talking about facts - Soviet Union disappeared 27 years ago, so I am not sure which non-Soviet airlines you are referring to.

Last edited by Andriyko; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
LH can command a real premium on tickets from the UK to places like Belgrade, Skopje and Sarajevo. The relatively poor (though rapidally improving) road and rail infrastructure means you want to go direct to where you are heading too.

I’m also led to believe that traffic from the non-EU parts of the Balkans is hampered by cumbersome and expensive visa rules for people wanting to visit the UK.

I think someone might trying to open a direct route from the UK but much more likely to be Easyjet, Ryanair or Wizz. Wizz had a go at Luton to Tusla twice a week but that is finished now I believe. Luton to Belgrade or Sarajevo might have more of a chance.
AlicorporateUK and BearX220 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
LH can command a real premium on tickets from the UK to places like Belgrade, Skopje and Sarajevo. The relatively poor (though rapidally improving) road and rail infrastructure means you want to go direct to where you are heading too.
Star Airline's network is amazing in Central/Eastern Europe. I think geography plays a role as well. These airlines carry a lot of intra-Europe connecting traffic, while it will make little sense for someone who needs to fly from ARN to SKP to connect at LHR. When MA/AB were alive things were better for those of us who wanted to fly OW within Europe.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Indeed. I’m not entirely sure about Skopje but I’ve been flying to Sarajevo on a regular basis since basically the reopening of the airport after the war -exactly when LH resumed commercial services (I think that was back in 1998)- and fares have always been on the ‘premium’ side, a tad better in that respect now though with the 2 daily services from Vienna (Austrian) and other connecting opportunities (e.g. Croatia via Zagreb). The route used to generate lots of premium traffic from those involved in the process of stabilisation etc., whereas in the last few years the city has seen a remarkable increase in terms of tourism.

G
lcylocal likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that there are multiple reasons.

First, we often forget that when it comes to short haul air traffic, geographical proximity is important because long haul connecting ticket prices are entirely unrelated to how far your place in Europe is from the connecting hub and point to point is only minorly related to distance. That means that if, say, you have a 1h30 flight to destination, you can run twice more flights whilst selling long haul tickets at the same price compared to someone 3h away from hub. When it comes to Central and Eastern Europe, this means that LH, OS are at an advantage compared to BA, and OS and TK for Southeastern Europe and the Balkans. When it comes to the Caucasus/Central Asia, the TK advantage is even stronger.

Then, as mentioned above, low cost airlines are arch-dominant on point to point Y flights to/from the area, and local airlines also run with a much cheaper cost base. This means that for the point to point part of the income, only an underlying C market will likely be lucrative. There again, however, UK business are doing comparatively very poorly in the area compared to German, Turkish, or even Italian businesses so the C potential to/from London is actually not that great.

Third, I think it is fair to say that of the three main alliances, BA has the most restrictive threshold for short haul routes, in part because of slot constraints at LHR and the lack of use of a regional fleet from their hub (plus see above limitations on distance. An E95 will comfortably reach many more Central European airports from VIE than it would from LHR) unlike all of their competitors. Moreover, its network integration with IB is much less than between AF-KL or LH-LX-OS. So on the whole, it would take a much higher traffic potential for BA to open a route to destination X from LHR than for LH from MUC, OS from VIE, or KL from AMS.

That said, BA just announced LJU and they may of course add a few more Central and Southeastern European destinations in coming months. I'd love for them to return to GYD, TBS and the likes but to be honest, I doubt that it will be any time soon.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did once tackle one of BA's High Paid Helps on this one, specifically Belgrade. He said "wait until that part of the world gets easier visas". At the moment Serbians need visas for the UK, USA and Canada even though Serbs can now freely enter Schengen.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I did once tackle one of BA's High Paid Helps on this one, specifically Belgrade. He said "wait until that part of the world gets easier visas". At the moment Serbians need visas for the UK, USA and Canada even though Serbs can now freely enter Schengen.
As ever, words of hope from c-w-s

Belgrade is a thrilling city and Serbia as a whole (Niš amongst my favourite places — Swiss currently operates a year-round service from/to Zürich, bizarrely enough!) has lots to offer, I'm sure many would welcome a return [of British Airways] to Nikola Tesla airport

G
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Swiss currently operates a year-round service from/to Zürich, bizarrely enough!)
Why is that bizzare?

There is quite a number of Serbian people and Serbian descendants living in Eastern Switzerland, particularly Zurich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.