Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2041, LGW-CPT, 6 hour delay!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Well, I awoke this morning to find BA2041, LGW-CPT (777) has a delayed departure of 4 hours from 20:00 to 23:41. No notification on my phone or ba.com, only showing on the App. Even ChekMyTrip hasn't picked it up, other than showing a 20:30 departure which was posted yesterday mid-day.

Now I don't know who to believe!! No option but to fly JER-LGW as planned at 14:00 at see what happens. The prospect of about 9 hours in the LGW Lounge is NOT appealing!!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
Well, I awoke this morning to find BA2041, LGW-CPT (777) has a delayed departure of 4 hours from 20:00 to 23:41. No notification on my phone or ba.com, only showing on the App. Even ChekMyTrip hasn't picked it up, other than showing a 20:30 departure which was posted yesterday mid-day.

Now I don't know who to believe!! No option but to fly JER-LGW as planned at 14:00 at see what happens. The prospect of about 9 hours in the LGW Lounge is NOT appealing!!
Looks like your plane is delayed in MLE should be taking off around now 3:40 late. You never know, they might swap the plane and bring it forward.

Pace yourself!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I'm not sure how this is related to the OP's thread (ditto your other post), don't be scared to start your own thread UncleT! It makes it awkward to give a reply without adding to the thread hijack.

From what I can make out this is very fluid at the moment. An MLE service was at one point going to need an extended reroute to Dubai, leading to YMMD limping back 4 or 5 hours late into LGW and hence delaying your flight. They have just cancelled the DXB stop (sick crew? sick aircraft? presumably now resolved in some form) so it will only be a couple of hours late, hence CPT may improve.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 8, 2018 at 4:19 am Reason: Commonsense prevails
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks ... was about to start a new thread anyway!!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh dear. I woke this morning to discover on the App that today's BA2041, LGW-CPT has had the departure changed from 20:30 to 23:41. A long day ahead, as we're initially flying JER-LGW at 14:00, arriving 15:00. Then later this morning, the 23:41 changes to 02:15 tomorrow morning!!

Annoyingly, neither of us have had ANY notification from BA. No SMS, ba.com/MMB showing nothing ... even CheckMyTrip has said nothing! It was only my wife, casually checking the BA App, that first revealed there's an issue.

Why is BA so bad about informing their pax about significant changes?
adrianlondon and Sealink like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From a different thread a few minutes ago ...

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I can make out this is very fluid at the moment. An MLE service was at one point going to need an extended reroute to Dubai, leading to YMMD limping back 4 or 5 hours late into LGW and hence delaying your flight. They have just cancelled the DXB stop (sick crew? sick aircraft? presumably now resolved in some form) so it will only be a couple of hours late, hence CPT may improve.
One lives in hope, and I'm trying to keep our CPT taxi driver in the loop!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
In my experience if the delay is definite (say at an outstation and the incoming is delayed by 9 hours) they do inform you. In this situation at a home airport they may decide to swap aircraft instead so they don’t want to proactively communicate and have people not turn up. That’s more likely at Heathrow however, there’s less planes to play with at Gatters so I wouldn’t hold out huge hope of that happening....

(if it does look that delayed when you land at Gatters it may be worth seeing if they’ll move you to a Heathrow flight?)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:59 am

BA2041 currently doesn’t have an aircraft assigned. It might be that they’re looking to switch some services around to bring the delay forward so keep an eye on it. I believe it was meant to be YMMD but as CWS said previously this aircraft is otherwise engaged. Alternatively, assuming you’re in CW and want to get there relatively on schedule the two LHR services both have a little bit of space on them.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you, knowledgable people! I'll see what happens when we get to LGW ... assuming we can get back into Departures 12 hours before our flight! Yes, CW, but with bags already checked through from JER switching to a LHR departure might be problematic!

eek ... and with those timings we will eventually be kicked out of the Lounge, won't we!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:06 am

For what it’s worth, it’s not showing a delay internally so they clearly expect to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. These things change though.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:13 am

Oh dear. I woke this morning to discover on the App that today's BA2041, LGW-CPT has had the departure changed from 20:30 to 23:41. A long day ahead, as we're initially flying JER-LGW at 14:00, arriving 15:00. Then later this morning, the 23:41 changes to 02:15 tomorrow morning!!

Annoyingly, neither of us have had ANY notification from BA. No SMS, ba.com/MMB showing nothing ... even CheckMyTrip has said nothing! It was only my wife, casually checking the BA App, that first revealed there's an issue.

Why is BA so bad about informing their pax about significant changes?
Because they are trying to reorganize the fleet and are hopeful things may change.

That's why the website says "If you’re travelling on this flight, and we haven’t contacted you, please check in and make sure you are at the airport in time for the original scheduled departure time, because we are doing everything possible to improve the delay."

If they contacted everyone to advise of a 6 hour delay and then it came forward to 2 hours and people missed their flight the same folks would be on here moaning about BA too.

If the delay does firm up it will be interesting to hear if BA advise of your EC261 entitlements. They have 17 hours to print the notices after all.....
Kgmm77 and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Thank you, knowledgable people! I'll see what happens when we get to LGW ... assuming we can get back into Departures 12 hours before our flight! Yes, CW, but with bags already checked through from JER switching to a LHR departure might be problematic!

eek ... and with those timings we will eventually be kicked out of the Lounge, won't we!
Getting through security might be an issue. LGW has a 6 hour rule (so does MAN). Whether this matters on a delay or not I couldn’t say. Good luck!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish

Getting through security might be an issue. LGW has a 6 hour rule (so does MAN). Whether this matters on a delay or not I couldn’t say. Good luck!
Thanks ... and that was certainly a worry!! I shall discover eventually! Oh, if only the CTA/Airside transfer facility was already open!!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
While I hope this delay does sort itself out, there is part of me that hopes it doesn’t as I suspect we will have a very interesting live trip report from a true master of the art to help while away our Saturday afternoon.
T8191 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
While I hope this delay does sort itself out, there is part of me that hopes it doesn’t as I suspect we will have a very interesting live trip report from a true master of the art to help while away our Saturday afternoon.
What? And spoil the post trip TR?

I will of course update on progress [or not] if you wish, you flatterer!
AlisonB84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.