Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:57 am

Still no news on when this will be out?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Still no news I gather? Yet the option to add a Tag is still available in the app....
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:44 am

Yes quite strange, given the web page and the stuff in the app it seemed like they were pretty close or thought they were.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Has the timing been influenced at all by the pace of IATA's work? And the very recent IATA resolution on this topic?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Gold; BA Gold; Hertz PC
Available to buy now https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-bag-tag-offer
Although if you click through it won't ship it!

Last edited by kriscii; Jun 14, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by kriscii
Available to buy now https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-bag-tag-offer
Although if you click through it won't ship it!
I'm not going to be an early adopter here. Looks rather flimsy compared to the QF RFID tags.

Plus half the CTAs on the website do not work, and they still show their "test" tag for sale. Clearly this has been rushed / not well planned.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interestingly it doesn't appear to be a BA product at all. They are partnering with viewtag.com

It's quite a confusing website, on the one hand they claim to be rolling out to airlines worldwide but on the other they have an exclusive 5 year deal with - at a guess - IAG

From their news section;
July 05, 2018
A major airline, part of an international consortium of airlines, has signed a 5-year agreement to be the exclusive supplier of ViewTag® to its 96 million customers worldwide. Frequent flyers that value their time and want to limit the inconveniences of air travel will soon gain greater convenience and visibility to their luggage through the alliance with ViewTag.

They seem to be slowly implementing the checkout process, I can now enter a delivery address but they don't have a shipping option to the UK yet. Bizarrely billing will convert to EUR as the payment currency once the payment bit opens up. So who knows where they'll be shipping from! (Edit - the Czech Republic, from the return address)

Will give it a go once the checkout process is finished, we like new toys

Last edited by LBP2; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At €145.20, they can stick their RFID where the reader can't see it!

I don't know about the HBO community, but I would need to equip 3-4 cases with this handily-detachable breakable techno-cr@ap. Because you CAN is no excuse for actually DOING it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
At €145.20, they can stick their RFID where the reader can't see it!

I don't know about the HBO community, but I would need to equip 3-4 cases with this handily-detachable breakable techno-cr@ap. Because you CAN is no excuse for actually DOING it.
That's for two and once they present the shipping options it'll likely go up again.

The flaw being you will only be able to associate one tag at a time with your BAEC account so equipping [2], 3 or 4 cases wouldn't work anyway....
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBP2
Interestingly it doesn't appear to be a BA product at all. They are partnering with viewtag.com

It's quite a confusing website, on the one hand they claim to be rolling out to airlines worldwide but on the other they have an exclusive 5 year deal with - at a guess - IAG

From their news section;
July 05, 2018
A major airline, part of an international consortium of airlines, has signed a 5-year agreement to be the exclusive supplier of ViewTag® to its 96 million customers worldwide. Frequent flyers that value their time and want to limit the inconveniences of air travel will soon gain greater convenience and visibility to their luggage through the alliance with ViewTag.

I read it as the 'international consortium' would only service this particular tag (use of phrase ' exclusive supplier ....to its 96 million customers ...' not that the company was only dealing with the 'international consortium'. If it was that I would have used different language such as 'our tags are only available with xxx airlines'
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Makes sense, although the company ViewTag only seems to have one product at the moment, ViewTag®

Once you get into the buying process it becomes apparent that it's ViewTag you're dealing with (according to the return policy, terms of service etc). The only reference to BA is their logo top left.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Some
Not totally convinced by this, charging so much for something that ultimately saves BA money / staff rather strikes me as the same as a supermarket asking you to buy your own scanner if you want to use the self-checkout.

Benefit seems to be relatively limited if you have status and therefore don't have to queue for a long time to check luggage - unfortunately, those are also surely the very people they are targeting with the product.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Ugh no thanks at €145.20. With my track record of buying luggage, having tags destroyed etc. I'd probably end up spending over £1,000 in tags!

When the price falls by 90%, I'd look at it...
Tobias-UK and Lefly like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Nope that's way overpriced and far too easy to get damaged in transit.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
They haven't thought this through; the people most likely to use this are those who rock up to the first wing with their check-in bags anyway or are group 1 and carry on large quantities of hand luggage.

Seems pointless and likely to be smashed first time luggage is used. Let's assume paper tags cost 10p to print and ba start charging for them, you'd have to take 6-800 flights to make it worthwhile, no way this tag would survive that. And what about tag hacking so the luggage goes to the hackers destination of choice? Poor value proposition...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.