Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Despite moving to the UK 8 years ago, I have kept my QF bag tags - they are strong as! Over 500,000 miles flown in that time and not one has broken off, the BA tags look so flimsy in comparison. Domestically check-in works like a charm; I've not used them internationally as QR is usually better priced than QF.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Jase76
Despite moving to the UK 8 years ago, I have kept my QF bag tags - they are strong as! Over 500,000 miles flown in that time and not one has broken off, the BA tags look so flimsy in comparison. Domestically check-in works like a charm; I've not used them internationally as QR is usually better priced than QF.
they’re still only supported for domestic use. Not even TT I believe!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Are these things battery powered? I noticed that "Smart Bags" needed to have their lithium batteries removed when boarding an EK flight recently.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are these things battery powered? I noticed that "Smart Bags" needed to have their lithium batteries removed when boarding an EK flight recently.
no they’re entirely without power. It’s literally just an RFID tag encased in a big lump of plastic
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by nancypants

they’re still only supported for domestic use. Not even TT I believe!
I'm fairly certain I have seen them at LHR, although it may have been a trial.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nancypants

no they’re entirely without power. It’s literally just an RFID tag encased in a big lump of plastic
So they don't display the barcode and details in a display, needing a battery, like the picture suggests?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by chistery
So they don't display the barcode and details in a display, needing a battery, like the picture suggests?
I would hazard a guess that there is a built in battery as articles suggest valid for 3000 flights.

The prototype I saw at the last open day was synched with the app to show name, flight number bar tag and 3 digit airport code.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Apologies my comment about no batteries was related to the actual set up of the qantas tags which it’s suggested the BA ones will be based on (possibly)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Are there any news in the new Highlife Magazin about the tags?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
BA IT, T5 baggage services and electronic bag tags, I don't know why but the idea fills me with fear. This is an innovation I won't be trying.
IAMORGAN, BA6501 and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Well January is almost at an end (Woohoo!) but still no word on the Digital Bag Tags which were supposed to be launched this month. Does anyone have any intel as to when we might expect to see these new fangled devices?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrpete
BA IT, T5 baggage services and electronic bag tags, I don't know why but the idea fills me with fear. This is an innovation I won't be trying.
Ye of little faith
What could possibly go wrong with this foolproof idea?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
Well January is almost at an end (Woohoo!) but still no word on the Digital Bag Tags which were supposed to be launched this month. Does anyone have any intel as to when we might expect to see these new fangled devices?
The newest release of the iPhone app has the option to “Add TAG” (Settings -> TAG), so they can’t be far off now...

Last edited by LBP2; Jan 25, 2019 at 5:44 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by LBP2
The newest release of the iPhone app has the option to “Add TAG” (Settings -> TAG), so they can’t be far off now...
Are you still seeing it? I wasn't aware of it in settings and I have the latest update of the app (with the BA 100 splash screen) and there's no mention of TAG in the settings.

So it's either been removed from the app for some reason or if you're still seeing it perhaps you're due to get an early invite to use the system.

I'm interested in trying it, but as I almost always travel HBO these days then I don't think I'd be someone they'd target.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
No change on BA.COM either

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...igital-bag-tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.