TPA-LGW Cereal Mistake

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
TPA-LGW Cereal Mistake

This story popped up on my google this afternoon:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7860...ur-500-flight/

Got to say that I think I would be pretty annoyed too if that was served in WT+ as breakfast. Perhaps it's supposed to only be a snack, and of course perhaps there was something else offered and declined. But the BA spokesperson seemed fairly resigned to the fact, and so I was wondering whether this is to be expected as fairly typical on an 8-hour WT+ flight?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I saw this earlier today too. The one piece that really annoyed me as it was either a result of ignorance or mis-information was

When Sun Online checked the British Airways website, similar flights for the same time next year cost £515 single from Tampa to the UK.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Ha yes the pricing bit annoyed me too. In the same way that the press always reports BMW/Audi etc prices (or at least allusions of expense) even if the car involved in the story was 20 years old.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I saw this earlier today too. The one piece that really annoyed me as it was either a result of ignorance or mis-information was
What's the issue with it? That seems about right for a 1 way WT+ flight,
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Yup, I too had a similar breakfast offering in WT+ MIA - LHR this summer. My wife's GF offering was even worse. Complained, and got 2000 Avios per pax. Meh. The main meal was unappealing too.
One thing I did take notice of in this story, was that WT was refurbished in this instance, but WT+ was not ? I'm actually booked for Tampa next summer, and am also WT out, WT+ return. Is WT+ really not refurbed on the LGW 777 fleet ? I just assumed the whole aircraft was refurbed ? I used 100,000 Avios to upgrade the 4 pax on the booking !!!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Yup, I too had a similar breakfast offering in WT+ MIA - LHR this summer. My wife's GF offering was even worse. Complained, and got 2000 Avios per pax. Meh. The main meal was unappealing too.
One thing I did take notice of in this story, was that WT was refurbished in this instance, but WT+ was not ? I'm actually booked for Tampa next summer, and am also WT out, WT+ return. Is WT+ really not refurbed on the LGW 777 fleet ? I just assumed the whole aircraft was refurbed ? I used 100,000 Avios to upgrade the 4 pax on the booking !!!
My reading of it was that their outbound flight in WT was a refurbished B777 (10-abreast).

The return in Wt+ was an urn-refurbished B777.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What's the issue with it? That seems about right for a 1 way WT+ flight,
Unless I mis-understood the article (which is quite likely!) they had bought a return flight. Two single flights would not be equal in price to a round-trip fare.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My reading of it was that their outbound flight in WT was a refurbished B777 (10-abreast).

The return in Wt+ was an urn-refurbished B777.
Ah, I see. That could explain it.
In response to the OP, yes, this would appear to be the standard breakfast offering. In my case it was a nutty/oat bar with the consistency of a house brick, that led me to worry I may break my teeth on it or lose a filling. I declined. Some fruit, or yogurt would have been more appropriate I thought. At least the coffee was decent...........
We complained on board to the CSM also, who brought my wife a fruit platter from F, as we were right behind F in WT+ (747).
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Unless I mis-understood the article (which is quite likely!) they had bought a return flight. Two single flights would not be equal in price to a round-trip fare.
OK .. But isn't £1k about right for a UK-US return? I know you can get it cheaper, but they can also be a lot more expensive.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
From the article:

had paid £763 for return flights.
paying around £500 for this leg of the flight.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Oh the joys of flying BA WTP. Its a surprise every time since you never know what you are going to get hard or soft product wise.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:14 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I was quite amused by the quote from BA defending their catering though:

(BA) continued: "Feedback is always passed on to our catering teams who check the quality of the food we serve on board every week.
Just how much variety can you get in a mass-produced cereal bar, for goodness sake?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I love how this thread started as a demonstration of BA yet again degrading the quality of the service and instantly turned into whether the cost of the flight was reported accurately or whether it was a refurbed triple or not, like those are the important issues here.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think it's a secret that having slightly improved the WT offering and not yet the WTP offering - that's due to be unveiled fairly soon I think - there are some glitches. And the biggest one is that arguably the East Coast to UK overnight flights have better breakfasts in WT. That wouldn't apply to the main departure meal, nor in the UK-USA direction, but I hope that any future announcement on WTP catering will take that into account.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think it's a secret that having slightly improved the WT offering and not yet the WTP offering - that's due to be unveiled fairly soon I think - there are some glitches. And the biggest one is that arguably the East Coast to UK overnight flights have better breakfasts in WT. That wouldn't apply to the main departure meal, nor in the UK-USA direction, but I hope that any future announcement on WTP catering will take that into account.
C-W-S, forgive my ignorance, but what is the WT breakfast on an East Coast - UK? Also, what was WT+ pre-improvement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.