Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Still Sucks - Got seated in economy after buying a business ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Still Sucks - Got seated in economy after buying a business ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Honestly I don't find European business so bad, especially in row one.
Of course if I can have a bigger plane anyway intra-europe (like the BA 777 to/from MAD or the AY 350 to/from HEL) I am going to choose it, and I like TK seats with IFE, but for short hops of 1 or 2 hours CE is good enough for me.

I agree non Europeans could research better the product before booking, but sometime people is so used to a "standard" that doesn't even think there could be something very different.
davm666 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
But, there is no common worldwide standard because for reasons which escape me, the United Nations has never devoted a major effort to developing a worldwide standard for the use of the myriad terms.
Funnily enough, there used to be a time when IATA regulated what airlines could offer to passenger. There even was a sandwich war in the 50s. Some airlines hated that SAS was offering 16 (!) kinds of smørrebrød to passengers, which other airlines thought gave the airline an uncompetitive advantage. SAS was even fined for that following TWA's complaint. If I remember correctly from what I've read, SAS was allowed to continue serving sandwiches provided that the garnishing did not cover the entire piece of bread or something. Crazy. That was, of course, during the times when fares were regulated and airlines were competing on 'service,' because they could not compete on price, and only ten people could afford to fly.
adrianlondon and Sealink like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Of course if I can have a bigger plane anyway intra-europe (like the BA 777 to/from MAD or the AY 350 to/from HEL) I am going to choose it, and I like TK seats with IFE, but for short hops of 1 or 2 hours CE is good enough for me.

I agree non Europeans could research better the product before booking, but sometime people is so used to a "standard" that doesn't even think there could be something very different.
There are only 4 seats in row 1 and not always possible to "bag"...here's the thing...row 2,3,4,5 etc etc all are the same price per business...term used loosely..class seat purchased.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Lefly

I would normally agree, but having just had two flights this weekend in row 1, I can't believe I had a "seat hanger off-er" on one trip and a "knee up your backside" in the other. I know this is OT, but please if you are getting up from your seat, don't hang off the seat in front [regardless of cabin] that is just bad manners and if you do have to do it, understand that it means you are making my seat recline when neither of us wants it to.

As for the "knee" incident, that's not his fault per se, but blimey, what are you doing to make your knees juggle like that in my bottom? The seats are too thin - I need to pad myself out a bit more!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:01 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Funnily enough, there used to be a time when IATA regulated what airlines could offer to passenger. There even was a sandwich war in the 50s. Some airlines hated that SAS was offering 16 (!) kinds of smørrebrød to passengers, which other airlines thought gave the airline an uncompetitive advantage. SAS was even fined for that following TWA's complaint. If I remember correctly from what I've read, SAS was allowed to continue serving sandwiches provided that the garnishing did not cover the entire piece of bread or something. Crazy. That was, of course, during the times when fares were regulated and airlines were competing on 'service,' because they could not compete on price, and only ten people could afford to fly.
Grief - you are 100%. I remember that you were allowed to offer Y passengers a starter or a salad but not both. All Beer, Wine, and Spirits had to be paid for in Y. There were a myriad of rules - as you say as fares were fixed. The IFE which was a projector that sat in the cabin roof had those Stethoscope headset.

Actually I have just read that there was a conference in Paris about these sandwiches - what constituted a sandwich and what didn't. Incredible what one learns - but this had nothing to do with anything on the thread but in the absence of any further information from the OP, we have to quietly chat amongst ourselves.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by marshy11
I would normally agree, but having just had two flights this weekend in row 1, I can't believe I had a "seat hanger off-er" on one trip and a "knee up your backside" in the other. I know this is OT, but please if you are getting up from your seat, don't hang off the seat in front [regardless of cabin] that is just bad manners and if you do have to do it, understand that it means you are making my seat recline when neither of us wants it to.

As for the "knee" incident, that's not his fault per se, but blimey, what are you doing to make your knees juggle like that in my bottom? The seats are too thin - I need to pad myself out a bit more!
Is it weird that I actually quite enjoy the free massage from the passenger behind on my behind?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by nivsy
There are only 4 seats in row 1 and not always possible to "bag"...here's the thing...row 2,3,4,5 etc etc all are the same price per business...term used loosely..class seat purchased.
Yes, but I said "especially in row 1", not "only in row 1"
I find acceptable also row 2 or 3 or even 4 (not from 5 on because I see they are often delays in service and less choice in meals).
However, It's always better than Y with no middle free.

Originally Posted by marshy11

I had knees in my back too. But what can one do if/when there is a very tall guy seated right behind? It's a case when suddenly seat pitch matters even if you're short.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sxc

Do remember the premium for J in Australia for example can be 6x the cheapest economy fare. In Europe it’s more like 3.5x
do remember in Europe you're paying 3.5x the fare for a $3 meal. Give me the exit row.
mec72 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
do remember in Europe you're paying 3.5x the fare for a $3 meal. Give me the exit row.
Which on NCE may well be part of the Club cabin due to the demand for the $3 meal
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Mordac
It was TPG, and yes, although they changed the ridiculously click-baity title now, possibly after their lawyer got in touch.
as awful as TPG is, Brian Biros (who wrote the Aegean article) is particularly awful

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aeg...usiness-class/
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
But on an equivalent journey in the States, you get a bigger seat but the 'meal' would be crisps and snacks.

I would take a CE meal any day over that.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

I love these made up facts. I have never paid more than 1.5 the ET fare got CE. On a few flights the CE cabin has been cheaper.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I don't doubt the OP as I had to this happen to me.
To add insult to injury the people in front got a free upgrade to business. Six months later, so much correspondence and I still haven't received the refund in overpaid taxes. Mickey mouse doesn't describe it.

People who look down their noses and call people trolls who complain about this, well, I can't wait until this happens to you too. Get some perspective, you've paid for a service, not been compensated and had to chase for what BA should not have taken - the extra taxes. How is taking someone's money, not providing a service and not giving the excess paid back not a crime. Either way I give up, it's shameful. Shame on BA.
Why wait six months and engage in multiple correspondence rounds.

If you were downgraded on a short-haul flight from CE to ET, you are likely owed 30% (possibly as much as 75%) of the base segment fare as well as any APD difference if there is a UK departure involved. Simply make the claim, wait a bit, then either go the CEDR route or MCOL (presuming you have a UK address) or file in small claims (telephonic hearings available).

Arguing with the carrier is pointless.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by nancypants

as awful as TPG is, Brian Biros (who wrote the Aegean article) is particularly awful

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aeg...usiness-class/
Only ever had a passing acquaintance with TPG in the past. I read this article in full and thought it was a joke for a professional travel blog, very tabloid. Their attempts to justify their editorial stance in the comments made it even worse.
1Aturnleft and nancypants like this.

Last edited by krispy84; Nov 30, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Wow, so many replies so quickly.

It was a 2 cabin flight, your typical European 3 seat across in economy that fold down to 2 seat across in business/first. The first 4 rows or so were business, I was in row 7 or so, with no empty seat next to me. Yes there was a curtain after row 4.

The guy sitting next to me had the same thing happen to him. A woman couple of rows back was complaining loudly that she had paid 1200 Euros for a business class ticket. This is the thing--why BA would treat price-insensitive customers that way, I don't understand. I never fly BA anyway so they won't lose much future business from me, but those other customers sounded like they live in the UK. The woman looked like someone who goes to South of France a lot on 1200 Euro tickets.

Yes, my ticket was 1,000+ Euros, one way. I bought it the night before because to my regret (especially now), United/Lufthansa through Frankfurt was sold out. Thank god I was booked on United LHR to SFO, instead buying a ticket going all the way through on BA.

When I checked into BA in Nice, the check-in took a while because the agents had to confer, and I now understand why, but they didn't bother to tell me they were downgrading me. This is the thing - United even if they had downgraded me - which I can't imagine ever happens, would have at least told me and apologized. And then they would have emailed me an apology with a voucher for few hundred dollars. I've gotten a $200 voucher from United when they were simply unable to turn off the lights in the cabin. They announce "Sorry we weren't able to dim the lights on the flight, please go to this website for compensation"--and they send you a voucher based on the type of ticket you have (granted, I'm Global Services and that was I think >$6K one-way ticket).

I'm having my admin contact BA, but wow, this is one of those things that is so far out of the range of possible things that could happen, I am flabbergasted. Someone said these things happen from time to time. No. I've never even heard of this happening on another airline. Ever.
adrianlondon and allturnleft like this.

Last edited by unitedflyer007; Nov 30, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.