Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU 261 or not EU 261

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities

I assume you are referring to the late arrival in JNB, which was under 3 hours late; however, the OP mentions that they arrived at their final destination (CPT) more than 3 hours late.
no I’m referring to the type or flight IAW EC261/04 being a type 3 flight since it went outside of the EU as was in excess of 3,500 Km and therefore it is 4 hours delay this is required for compensation, as I say I am happy to be corrected it I’m mistaken.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The length of the delay at JNB vs. CPT is only relevant once one gets past whether the delay was for extraordinary circumstances.

Courtesy of the CJEU's rewrite of EC 261/2004, a delay exceeding 3 hours on a Type 3 flight would result in compensation of EUR 300 and EUR 600 once exceeding 4 hours. In this case, the delay would be measured at the final ticketed destination, e.g. CPT and would be EUR 600 if anything.
navylad likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 29, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by navylad

no I’m referring to the type or flight IAW EC261/04 being a type 3 flight since it went outside of the EU as was in excess of 3,500 Km and therefore it is 4 hours delay this is required for compensation, as I say I am happy to be corrected it I’m mistaken.
4 hours + = €600
3 to 4 hours = €300
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Often1
In this case, the delay would be measured at the final ticketed destination, e.g. CPT and would be EUR 600 if anything.
Thanks, it’s been a while since I’ve needed to claim EC261, I don’t get your last comment though, sure it is the length of the delayed flight or the overall distance (I’m not sure which) and the total delay that is considered, not the length of the flight that in itself isn’t covered by the regulations? So I would have thought it would still be a maximum of €300 if it is conclusded that BA are not able to provide evidence of the extraordinary circumstances claimed.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

It's only one reference point but BA were categoric in two CS emails that my delay (and subsequent missed connection) was due to weather. The response to my LBA however was 122 minutes due to IT issues and 4 minutes due to weather, together with an offer to settle!!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
Thanks, it’s been a while since I’ve needed to claim EC261, I don’t get your last comment though, sure it is the length of the delayed flight or the overall distance (I’m not sure which) and the total delay that is considered, not the length of the flight that in itself isn’t covered by the regulations? So I would have thought it would still be a maximum of €300 if it is conclusded that BA are not able to provide evidence of the extraordinary circumstances claimed.
The way I read the OP, they encountered a delay of 3:15 at their final destination (CPT):

Originally Posted by silverfc
I flew on 8 Nov LHR - JNB on BA 55 which was delayed. It landed 102 minutes late, meaning that I missed my connection to Cape Town. I was not accommodated on the next flight, but re-booked onto the subsequent one, and arrived into Cape Town at 14:50 not 11:35. More than 3 hours late.
If I read that correctly, then the potential compensation would be €300, unless one of the exceptions (e.g. extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided if all reasonable measures were taken) applies.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities

The way I read the OP, they encountered a delay of 3:15 at their final destination (CPT):

If I read that correctly, then the potential compensation would be €300, unless one of the exceptions (e.g. extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided if all reasonable measures were taken) applies.
Many thanks, that’s how I consider matters.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. If OP had been ticketed to JNB, his 102-minute delay on a Type 3 flight would not qualify for delay compensation. But, as he was ticketed to CPT and his delay into CPT exceeded 3 hours, he would be due EUR 300.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
All

Thanks for the comments... I will revert back to BA one more time, and refer to further action unless this is resolved.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

My final communication with BA clearly stated that its position was final and that it would not enter into further communication...

I waited 8 weeks, and lodged the claim with CEDR...

2 weeks later, BA settled for the full amount anticipated of EUR 300 each, and apologised for the delay in settlement...

A bit of honesty upfront would have gone a long way - it would have been so much better than have to read to convoluted excuses provided, and time wasted having to pursue alternative remedies...
flatlander likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for coming back to us with the outcome - that, more than the result itself (although a definite winner for you, and rightly so) is much appreciated. Glad to see that BA settled, although it took way longer than it should have.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Pleasure...

For the most part my dealings with BA have been positive. How an organisation resolves an issue tends to set them apart. BA failed this time...

As they would say

We sorry that we have let you down in this occasion, but look forward to welcoming you on board soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.