Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can someone please remind me what year this is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone please remind me what year this is?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Isn’t a hand written process in place in HKG in the CX lounges (certainly The Wing) and in the USA (AA in DFW)? So the old fashioned way is not unique to BA.

Doc Copper
I've just had a shower at the Wing yesterday at HKG and there was no BP checking or any paperwork in place, I was just directed to the shower rooms. Perhaps they only record this at peak times?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I imagine because you then get a continuous list on a single length of paper, whereas laser printers rely on single sheets - one or more of which might easily get mislaid.

There are still many very practical uses for dot matrix printers.
I was just curious as airports are one of the few places where they are still in use. I wondered if it might be because some airline systems are still MS DOS based. They used to be much cheaper than Inkjet/Laser printers but they have come way down in price in recent years.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, with all the news recently about people choosing to change things about themselves by self-identifying as something other than what their biology would indicate, I see no problem with that. In fact, IIRC, there's someone in Australia who has chosen to self-identify knocking 20 years off his age; and he's in court trying to establish that fact.
It's the Netherlands.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:31 pm Reason: Remove comment precipitating off topic spat
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Tech guy here.

Technology done well (or even just decently) is very expensive. Imagine the costs in creating, deploying, and maintaining such a thing? Well even if you're super lean and efficient you're not getting it done below $1 million a year. Compare that to some employee taking a minute to write something down... well... I don't know how much they're paid but it is not that expensive to do.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
My favourites are:

- Arrivals Lounge. Attendant asks if I want to use the First Class breakfast room, writes my name on a card, which I hand to another attendant less than 30 feet away.

- US Hotels who write breakfast coupons at the check in desk. Really?

- Theatres where you collect your ticket at the box office, for an attendant to rip in two about 30 feet away.

That kind of thing.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
It's the Netherlands.
And he failed.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
You're going to look so wrong in just a few weeks.
2019 now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.