Wiki Posts
Search

Spend Avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Spend Avios

Today i decided to do a Christmas trip and spend some Avios on it.

Total cost of the flight for two in Business from Brussels to Heathrow was 620€.
With Avios i payed 27000 Avios and 110€. So 27.000 Avios saved me 510€

Not to bad of a deal i think?
I also booked the hotel with Avios.
Price without Avios direct at the 4 Star hotel just around the corner from The London Eye was 203 Pounds or 14.536 Avios, so around 1.5 pence per Avios.

What do you think? Should i have done better?
I definetly gonna have a lot of fun with Ms Seraglio. Love London at Christmas time.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
The best use of Avios is using them to get something you want.
so from the sounds of it, you did well.

hope you have a great time.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holloway1000
Thats exactly what i thought. And my gold membership gives me acces to first wing so i can treat the Ms with some bubbles :-)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Could you share the hotel details - name/date. We don't tend to see good avios deals available on hotels, so worth testing that thinking at 1.5p. Plus I need a hotel in London pre-Christmas.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
Could you share the hotel details - name/date. We don't tend to see good avios deals available on hotels, so worth testing that thinking at 1.5p. Plus I need a hotel in London pre-Christmas.
I booked tower hotel at London bridge. Including full English breakfast for two.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Tower Hotel is by the Tower I would think, a Gouman hotel, so not really next door to London eye, but very close to the Tower though! I haven't stayed there since 2004 when it was called Thistle Tower, but the an the breakkie was quite good with a nice view over Tower Bridge, and restaurant still in the same place!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
This right here is wisdom, I've seen from experience that people somehow miss it and compare against useless metrics
dougzz and anniegray like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jblueflyer
This right here is wisdom, I've seen from experience that people somehow miss it and compare against useless metrics
Agree completely. OK, FT is about maximising the experience etc., but I wince when I see discussions micro-managing Avios value. Avios are worth ‘something’, and it’s entirely up to the individual how their earnings, travel patterns and desires fit with THEIR perceptions.

I don’t think I’ve ever looked at Avios/£ ... I have both, and use them in a way that makes sense to me. I am thus a heretic!!
dougzz and jblueflyer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

As al,ostball my flights are company payed, avios are for free. I do not put a certain value on the,. But when trading them in for a nice experience i actually looked to get the most out of them.
still have a lot left so might upgrade some longhaul in the nearby future.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I tend to assume 1 Avios = 1p which is near enough to the rolling average.

I will cost promos on this basis and sometimes won't bother as a result, but I rarely if ever let Avios earning influence my flight purchases.

Likewise on redemptions, always happy to save more than a penny per but it's the convenience of buying a (practically) fully flexible ticket (GGL so no fees) that really attracts me
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Seraglio
As al,ostball my flights are company payed, avios are for free. I do not put a certain value on the,. But when trading them in for a nice experience i actually looked to get the most out of them.
still have a lot left so might upgrade some longhaul in the nearby future.
But you’ve claimed they’ve saved you 510eur on the Brussels flights, which surely isn’t true as you wouldn’t have actually paid that sum, would you?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But you’ve claimed they’ve saved you 510eur on the Brussels flights, which surely isn’t true as you wouldn’t have actually paid that sum, would you?
If i hat no Avios, i would have booked the flight in Economy as it's only a 1 hour flight. In that case the flight (outbound and inbound) would have cost around 240€ for 2.
I would not have payed the 620€.
But with the Avios, its fairly cheap to use them. And its all about the experience.
dajdavies likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Seraglio
If i hat no Avios, i would have booked the flight in Economy as it's only a 1 hour flight. In that case the flight (outbound and inbound) would have cost around 240€ for 2.
I would not have payed the 620€.
But with the Avios, its fairly cheap to use them. And its all about the experience.
Indeed, sounds like a happy use of avios.

I was just remarking that while perfectly reasonable not to concern oneself with calculating the ‘value’, *if* you are choosing to do it, better to use a realistic measure.
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just my 2pence but if you have silver/gold status, very rarely would I suggest that business class to a short haul destination in Europe is worth it. Why spend the extra €£ for a one hour hop I don’t really get it personally but of course each to their own.

And in your case, your gold status automatically allows in your missus anyway

Last edited by Brisbane Road; Nov 23, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ Brisbane Road ... I do CE for the TPs, using Avios to abate the cost. That includes 3-hour hops to MLA, which is a slightly different story, but always CE JER-LGW. Gold doesn’t come easy for the older leisure traveller!

Let’s be honest ... the complexity of individual circumstances prevents a one-size solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.