Wiki Posts
Search

First time upstairs on a 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
First time upstairs on a 747

In my relatively long travelling career, I've never been upstairs on a Jumbo before. Saturday on BA75 I've got 63J, followed by on Thursday's BA74 62K. Any top tips from the FT community for being upstairs? Even better, outbound tips me over in to Gold - shame that there is no FLounge at LOS to 'enjoy' on the return!

Last edited by xPositor; Nov 21, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: 63J, not K
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
If you have a big carry on - make sure you put in the ‘wadrobe’ by the top of the stairs. Over heads on the upper deck are not a big as down stairs. Also the Lockers by the window seats are very useful. It’s great upstairs especially with two crew looking after max 20 passengers + the drivers.
Enjoy Lagos been many times and no two visits are ever the same - very vibrant city!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by xPositor
In my relatively long travelling career, I've never been upstairs on a Jumbo before. Saturday on BA75 I've got 63K, followed by on Thursday's BA74 62K. Any top tips from the FT community for being upstairs? Even better, outbound tips me over in to Gold - shame that there is no FLounge at LOS to 'enjoy' on the return!
Keep an eye on BA97.com etc to see if you can get guested into the CCR!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond
I was upstairs for the first time this summer (62A&B). Really good experience. I'd say, try and get up there early and see if the flight crew have the door open - we got shown around the cockpit and you get a good sense of quite how high up you are (and the bewildering number of switches too).
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Having flown upstairs many times I still remember my first experience, and that was an OpUp too. Flying back from LAX to LHR in 2005 and getting the "beep" at the gate and then having panic set in as I saw that the display said "Not Checked In" before being told that I had been upgraded. I do remember being quite in awe actually, as I hadn't done much flying at all, never mind long haul (my only other long haul trip had been to Chicago a few years prior), and the step up from WT+ to Club was - to my mind at least - significant, along with being upstairs on the 747. Having had a busy week working in LA most of the flight was spent asleep! Now, thirteen years later, I still relish flights upstairs on the 747. It's a unique experience in my view.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Don’t put anything on top of the side bins at take off ( phone, magazine etc). It will slide beautifully to the back of the cabin. Otherwise just enjoy it, I love it up there, be prepared to take your own IFE if it’s a mid j though. The screens can be dire.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
63K is a good seat and a lovely experience. The sense of space upstairs is wonderful, and the CC/pax ratio is excellent.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

^Lovely experience
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Even better on the 747-100s.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ Skywards Gold/Hilton Diamond
Same here, long travelling career and finally got upstairs in 62K two weeks ago on way back from Philly. Totally lived up to the childhood dream....this was one very excited 53 yo.
Prospero, PETER01 and george77300 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by xPositor
In my relatively long travelling career, I've never been upstairs on a Jumbo before. Saturday on BA75 I've got 63J, followed by on Thursday's BA74 62K. Any top tips from the FT community for being upstairs? Even better, outbound tips me over in to Gold - shame that there is no FLounge at LOS to 'enjoy' on the return!
Way back in the days (late 1980's) BA would fly a 747 to Perth (from London via somewhere I guess) then on to Auckland. I would fly this route PER-AKL-PER every few months - at that stage the upper deck was Economy and seemed spacious, and a flight deck visit was fairly normal. It did seem like a very long flight though. Now days Air New Zealand does the same trip in a 789, between 5-6 hours. Times have changed.

Last edited by freemark; Nov 21, 2018 at 2:28 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Can someone from downstairs visit a pal upstairs on a BA 747 assuming same class etc...?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
First time on BA upper deck for me was the 747-200 HKG-DEL-LHR-MAN ! Yea back in the day. Mid/late 80’s
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

I never managed to get upstairs on a Speedbird classic but did manage to do so on Air New Zealand and on Virgin. For those who like the intimacy and privacy of a 747-400 upper deck, this was something truly magical.
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
It’s the best place in the BA Fleet! My 2nd time upstairs travelling alone, I took advantage and got onboard as early as I could to ask if I could see the cockpit.

The crew knew I was seated on the UD and they asked the captain, he was okay as he had enough time to accommodate me.

This probably isn’t all to do with being assigned an UD seat, as I’m sure it’s dependent on a lot of things, but it’s one of my flying highlights. If that interests you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.