Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Status Much Better Than Silver?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
It’s a slippery slope. Once you are gold the target then becomes Gold Guest List and that’s where the fun really starts....upgrade vouchers, jokers (which release redemption seats otherwise unavailable), partner cards (1 x gold and 2 x silver to give to members of your household account), CCR access and yours for only 5,000 tier points (3,000 tier points to renew).

Happy flying!
While I indeed agree BAEC is a great gamification as rewards never end and you always have something to aim for, I must confess being Gold (or Diamond when I was with CX) meant flying A LOT and I am not that enticed to fly even more to get the extra perks. I guess things would be different if I was to fly F, as GGL would definitely be within reach without modifying my flight schedule, but with long haul in J and short haul in Y that's simply not compatible with what I personally consider a proper work-life balance
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

Better chance of op-ups ( but would not count on it)
I thought it was generally accepted that BA used upgrades as a teaser for lower status flyers, and the further up the chain you go the more likely you’re to not get these.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by dougzz

I thought it was generally accepted that BA used upgrades as a teaser for lower status flyers, and the further up the chain you go the more likely you’re to not get these.
Hi,

I did not get any as a Silver but had a few as a Gold ( but quite rare)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:34 pm

Yeah. I am close to gold this was wondering if I should go for it. But I have a lot of miles across different programs and am thinking of making 2019 redemption year, which is why I am not.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you fly a lot in Y, getting to reserve exit row seats even at short notice is great.

The other benefits are marginal over silver for me and I wouldn't spend much time or money to chase gold.
hi windowontheaside, how does that work better as good than as silver? I don’t think a gold is able to kick a silver out at short notice?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eugegall
Following on from a previous thread I thought, as a Silver member who is going for Gold this year it would be worth asking you Golds or previous Golds who have achieved both Silver and Gold whether it's a big jump up?
Bronze to Silver for me was a huge jump but in reality is Silver to Gold as big a jump?
If you don't think the gold perks are that great, look at it as being worth two years of silver (with a guaranteed soft landing back to silver).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Of course, the real question is not whether Gold status is superior to Silver (it clearly is) but whether it makes financial sense to go out and spend significant amounts on otherwise needless travel to take advantage of the differences. Additional reward availability is useful and I take the point about the soft landing to Silver for another year but the additional expenditure required would most likely cover equivalent benefits for me anyway. As ever, YMMV.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
The V class availability is by far the biggest driver for me - it has saved me many times.

The ability to use the Arrivals Lounge at LHR also made a big difference, but now there are Priority Pass-accessible arrivals lounges in T2 and T4, that's a much weaker argument (though the ability to use the CX arrivals lounge in HK when arriving on a cheap avios redemption is still very welcome).

Honestly from where I am right now, if I couldn't retain gold from one big Hawaii trip each year plus normal flying habits, I'd be ok dropping to silver (and that's why I've never chased GGL).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by typical
t (though the ability to use the CX arrivals lounge in HK when arriving on a cheap avios redemption is still very welcome).
The CX arrivals lounge in HKG has closed. No replacement.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
The CX arrivals lounge in HKG has closed. No replacement.
Oof. Hadn't seen that - thanks. PP to the rescue again then.

I think if Qatar and/or Cathay quits OW, keeping BA Gold will also be much harder to justify (and attain) for me, on reflection.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:44 pm

I normally find myself about half way between Silver & Gold but pushed this year to achieve Gold (well, OWE with QF).

I don’t think I’ll be flying enough to requalify for status going forward so for me the driver was to secure lounge access (via the soft landings) for the next 2 years for when I do fly.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
It’s a slippery slope. Once you are gold the target then becomes Gold Guest List and that’s where the fun really starts....upgrade vouchers, jokers (which release redemption seats otherwise unavailable), partner cards (1 x gold and 2 x silver to give to members of your household account), CCR access and yours for only 5,000 tier points (3,000 tier points to renew).

Happy flying!
Some good points, which I enjoy with my GGL status!

Just a small clarification for others - GGL status (including CCR card) is achieved at 5,000 TPs. While GGL status is renewed at 3,000 TPs, it is necessary to reach 5,000 TPs to renew the CCR card.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
hi windowontheaside, how does that work better as good than as silver? I don’t think a gold is able to kick a silver out at short notice?
I don't think anyone can kick anyone out of a seat simply by means of status but silvers can't select exit rows on long haul flights . I often book at less than 3 weeks out and it's rare that I don't have a choice of exit row window seats.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by typical

I think if Qatar and/or Cathay quits OW, keeping BA Gold will also be much harder to justify (and attain) for me, on reflection.
And I think also one of the reasons why CX won't quit oneworld. CX needs oneworld more than oneworld needs CX.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I did not get any as a Silver but had a few as a Gold ( but quite rare)

Regards

TBS
I never had any as Gold but just recently had one as Silver.

I do kinda miss Gold, but I soon get over it, more of a niggling craving from time to time than anything serious.
If I dropped out of Silver though that would be a real and actual inconvenience. I would go to great lengths to keep Silver. But Gold is nice for sure, just not sure how much I would pay to keep it / get it. Not a vast amount. Diminishing returns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.