Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To recline or not to recline that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To recline or not to recline that is the question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
The first exit row is fine too if it's just about the person in front. The seats in front of the first exit row don't recline too. However you can't recline your own seat if you are seated there.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I personally don't recline.

Having said that, it is a feature of the seat. So anyone who chooses to recline is in their full right to do so. It falls in the same category as screaming children, snoring, swearing & cyber flashing. If I can no longer deal with these things it's time to not leave the house anymore.
Thank you for this support.

I am surprised by this thread and interested that so many serious flyers make the decision not to recline as a courtesy to those behind them. The majority has spoken so it is with some embarrasment that I now admit that I am a recliner and atleast half the time I spend reclined, I confess I am fully reclined. Personally, I think my courtesy to the pax seated behind me extends only so much that I recline slowly or incrementally and, ofcourse, I sit upright at meals until trays are removed.

A “bygone era”? Interesting. With so many pax rights being relinquished involuntarily by air carriers, I am surprised so many here willingly give up one of the few remaining. My opinion is that if someone does not wish to be reclined upon then they need to monitor the seat selections frequently or speak to the GA and get assigned a seat immediately behind the bulkhead or an empty seat. I am typically thought of as a considerate person and have never been described as “rude”, I am simply of the opinion that if a seat I have purchased has the option to recline then I am within my rights to recline it just as the person in front of me and behind me has that equal right.

Respectfully, to the original poster, aren’t the first row behind the bulkhead typically reserved for pax with babies and many aircraft even have a bassinet installed or available for use?

I often have the tray table down and have the laptop out or crosswords or Sudoku but by all means, please exercise your right to recline if seated in front of me. I would never intentionally infringe on your right. I consider that space behind your seat to be bought and paid for by you !

flygirl68 likes this.

Last edited by arcticflier; Nov 17, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:01 pm

This has been quite an interesting thread to read. Does anyone know if BA has an official policy or general attitude towards reclining seats? Obviously there's the take off and landing part but, what happens when there is a conflict of interest like the ones in this thread e.g. person A is reclining but, is causing inconvenience to person B? Person A doesn't want to unrecline (sp?) their seat but, person B insists they do. Is it simply a case-by-case basis or is there something more concrete?

As a pocket sized human who mostly travels CW or WT+, I'm generally not affected by most of the matters discussed. However, some of the self-entitlement attitudes and respect for others (or lack thereof) are quite remarkable. Are people really that passionate about being able to recline their seat in the most basic fares (despite their infamy for being relatively uncomfortable regardless of a person's height, width, age, or disposition) or is this just a FT thing?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Always

except meal times
PAL62V likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Talking Penguin
This has been quite an interesting thread to read. Does anyone know if BA has an official policy or general attitude towards reclining seats? Obviously there's the take off and landing part but, what happens when there is a conflict of interest like the ones in this thread e.g. person A is reclining but, is causing inconvenience to person B? Person A doesn't want to unrecline (sp?) their seat but, person B insists they do. Is it simply a case-by-case basis or is there something more concrete?

As a pocket sized human who mostly travels CW or WT+, I'm generally not affected by most of the matters discussed. However, some of the self-entitlement attitudes and respect for others (or lack thereof) are quite remarkable. Are people really that passionate about being able to recline their seat in the most basic fares (despite their infamy for being relatively uncomfortable regardless of a person's height, width, age, or disposition) or is this just a FT thing?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what the price you paid for a ticket has to do with the right to recline? It's a facility that is available to all seats, irrespective of what price you paid. Also how do you distinguish someone who has paid for a basic fare vs the unlucky sod that has to shell out for a full fare Y ticket at the last minute?
PAL62V likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
I'm sorry, I don't understand what the price you paid for a ticket has to do with the right to recline? It's a facility that is available to all seats, irrespective of what price you paid. Also how do you distinguish someone who has paid for a basic fare vs the unlucky sod that has to shell out for a full fare Y ticket at the last minute?
I was referring to ET/WT seats in general, rather than differentiating between those who have paid for hand baggage or not - either way the seat is the same and well known for being less than comfortable. The price is more to do with having more space to recline freely if, when, and how much so you choose, which you generally achieve via WT+ and above. Your seat has the function to recline but, it also has the function of hurting others. My post was trying to figure where does this line lie and if there was a hardened policy or more a case-by-case basis in dealing with such incidents.

Last edited by Talking Penguin; Nov 17, 2018 at 3:42 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by Talking Penguin
I was referring to ET/WT seats in general, rather than differentiating between those who have paid for hand baggage or not - either way the seat is the same and well known for being less than comfortable. The price is more to do with having more space to recline freely if, when, and how much so you choose, which you generally achieve via WT+ and above. Your seat has the function to recline but, it also has the function of hurting others. My post was trying to figure where does this line lie and if there was a hardened policy or more a case-by-case basis in dealing with such incidents.
So on that line why would seats even have the recline feature in them? because it costs more to have a recline and many loco don’t have recline. There are those seats that CX were using which shuffle forward as you recline so it doesn’t impact on the person behind you.

On most long haul/red eye flights with almost any airline you will see about 70% or more of the seats are reclined so most passengers must consider it acceptable.

I’m 6ft and have no issues with anyone reclining into me, I just hit the button straight after.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yachtman
So on that line why would seats even have the recline feature in them? because it costs more to have a recline and many loco don’t have recline.
An outdated feature that is being currently replaced, possibly because of the reasons you mentioned. Afaik there isn't a safety reason for seats to keep this feature but, I'm happy to be corrected on that one.

There are those seats that CX were using which shuffle forward as you recline so it doesn’t impact on the person behind you.
Never flown CX before but, this sounds like a reasonable compromise. However, as you mentioned, it's more expensive to have reclining seats. If the general trend is to be saving money then I can't imagine it being the next new thing sadly.

On most long haul/red eye flights with almost any airline you will see about 70% or more of the seats are reclined so most passengers must consider it acceptable.
I think people are misinterpreting my post. I really don't care about the reclining function, so I'm not saying whether reclining is acceptable or not. I'm simply amazed that people are so passionate about it. As I said, I'm small enough where the issues discussed in here don't really affect me and I mostly fly WT+ or CW anyway. My post is really to do with whether BA has any rules, policies, or even guidance about where a conflict of interest between 2 people arises. Or is it simply left up to the crew on the day to make a subjective decision, ultimately leaving them open to abuse from passengers and/or inconsistencies between different crews?
Yachtman likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When stuck in the back and I want to recline, I do. I make an effort to let the person behind me know by reclining just a tiny bit. I don't engage that person because I'm not asking and don't want to have an argument, just want them to realize that it is coming.
flygirl68 and PAL62V like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I’m one of those annoying selfish persons who slam the seat back fast and hard as soon as the plane takes off. Am I bothered? No. Do I look bothered? No. I do what I do because on a short night time TATL flight from the US east coast to London I want to get as much sleep as possible. I’ve never heard a complaint about my reclining seat maybe because I am comatose, but also because I always choose a seat in the last row of the WTP+ cabin and when I flew in the WT cabin would always choose a back row seat.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
am I the only one who when seeing it about to hapoen go for a deliberate knee fend oiff? :-)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
am I the only one who when seeing it about to hapoen go for a deliberate knee fend oiff? :-)
Do you also prevent your neighbour getting up to go to the toilet, lowering their tray table and using their IFE?

Having the person in front of you recline is sometimes annoying, but it is their absolute right to do so.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Colnic2011
I think I already know how this is going to go.

So Mrs Colnic2011 really does not like people reclining who are in front (Usually because when we fly as a family we have 2 year old colnic2011 with us and she is easier to manage with that extra little bit space) To be fair as I am a more regular flyer and I have mixed views.
I don't recline as I always feel guilty, although if the seat mechanism allows it then I can't question anyone else who wants to. I resolve this to my entire satisfaction by booking exit row seats if not in WTP or CW, so that feels like a win-win for me and the person behind me. I do feel sorry for those in middle seats in WT though when the passenger in front of them fully reclines. With the cabin densification, that seat has a shockingly small amount of space either in terms of arm-room or knee space.

Once though I had a really angry person in front of me in ET when I was in the exit row. He pressed the cabin bell to get a crew member and he said, in a rather loud tone, that "the customer behind is blocking my seat recline with his knees". I'm fairly sure that his seat didn't have a button to press to recline, as he just seemed to be trying to get the seat to recline by barging back on it hard, which produced some interesting theatre for me. The crew member informed him that on that aircraft the seat was designed not to recline into an exit row for safety reasons, and he remained most put out. He turned round and glared at me and I hope that my helpful smile made him feel better....
LTN Phobia and PAL62V like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by IntVic
I’m one of those annoying selfish persons who slam the seat back fast and hard as soon as the plane takes off. Am I bothered? No. Do I look bothered? No. I do what I do because on a short night time TATL flight from the US east coast to London I want to get as much sleep as possible. I’ve never heard a complaint about my reclining seat maybe because I am comatose, but also because I always choose a seat in the last row of the WTP+ cabin and when I flew in the WT cabin would always choose a back row seat.
You’d enjoy my knees in the back of the seat if you tried that on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.