Wiki Posts
Search

Who can get a Jump Seat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Who can get a Jump Seat

Was on a flight from Dublin yesterday, and sat near the front so overheard much of the conversation between cabin and ground crew. The flight was an A321, and absolutely full, it also seemed half the flight were Group 1, but that's another story. The CC boss, was saying they had I think 5 jump seat passengers, and there was to and fro as to one on the flight deck, and 3 at the back, I assume the other one was to be at the front. I also overheard discussion of where they'd move the rear jump seat people when the service was being prepared, as the galley is too small to accommodate them during service prep. In the end they had 2 of them leave for later flight, and interestingly the CC were told by the ground agent to tell them they'd been confirmed on a later flight, she, CC, asked the ground agent for confirmation that they were confirmed, and this seemingly changed from confirmed to a probably, quite rightly she didn't want to use the word confirmed if it wasn't true, I suspect the ground agent is responsible for getting the flight away and ddin't want anything to further delay that and had his own agenda.

But my question after the slightly tedious intro is who can get a jump seat, how does it work. Presumably to get a flight deck jump seat you have to be staff, or vetted to some acceptable standard?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Some answers here: Passengers sat in crew seats LHR-LAS
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by dougzz
Was on a flight from Dublin yesterday, and sat near the front so overheard much of the conversation between cabin and ground crew. The flight was an A321, and absolutely full, it also seemed half the flight were Group 1, but that's another story. The CC boss, was saying they had I think 5 jump seat passengers, and there was to and fro as to one on the flight deck, and 3 at the back, I assume the other one was to be at the front. I also overheard discussion of where they'd move the rear jump seat people when the service was being prepared, as the galley is too small to accommodate them during service prep. In the end they had 2 of them leave for later flight, and interestingly the CC were told by the ground agent to tell them they'd been confirmed on a later flight, she, CC, asked the ground agent for confirmation that they were confirmed, and this seemingly changed from confirmed to a probably, quite rightly she didn't want to use the word confirmed if it wasn't true, I suspect the ground agent is responsible for getting the flight away and ddin't want anything to further delay that and had his own agenda.

But my question after the slightly tedious intro is who can get a jump seat, how does it work. Presumably to get a flight deck jump seat you have to be staff, or vetted to some acceptable standard?
Generally, anybody on staff travel will be accepted on a cabin jump seat, subject to final approval by the captain. Only flight crew or cabin crew will usually be accepted for a flight deck jump seat.

I have once occupied a flight deck jump seat for ACARS testing, not falling into any of the categories above, with special approval.

Last edited by Speedbird676; Nov 12, 2018 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've flown jumpseat numerous times on BA10. Last time, I had a chat with the captain and he told me that the station manager in Bangkok had a word and asked him to take some of the staff as they were getting backed up. The Captain had a word with the crew and they agreed to take staff on the jumpseats although we would have to be moved around during service.

I've quit staff travel to Asia and now book a cheap ex-EU J ticket. When you factor in Avios, TP earnings, lounge access and the sheer hassle of staff travel, It just isn't worth it to Asia.

Edit - FWIW, I believe only CC and FC can use the cockpit jumpseat, I was neither.
howarsan likes this.

Last edited by capin; Nov 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm Reason: added info re - cockpit
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by capin
I've flown jumpsuit numerous times on BA10. Last time, I had a chat with the captain and he told me that the station manager in Bangkok had a word and asked him to take some of the staff as they were getting backed up. The Captain had a world with the crew and they agreed to take staff on the jumpseats although we would have to be moved around during service.

I've quit staff travel to Asia and now book a cheap ex-Eu J ticket. When you factor in Avios, TP earnings, lounge access and the sheer hassle of staff travel, It just isn't worth it to Asia.

Edit - FWIW, I believe only CC and FC can use the cockpit jumpseat, I was neither.
First rule of jump seats - don’t talk about jump seats

Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:03 pm

From what I have read, in the US at least, only pilots, airline dispatchers, and FAA inspectors can sit in the cockpit. FAs cannot.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

First rule of jump seats - don’t talk about jump seats
I thought they were not particularly comfortable? Great for sitting in for 10min, not 10 hours.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought they were not particularly comfortable? Great for sitting in for 10min, not 10 hours.
I'd take a jumpseat over a WT middle seat any day.
zarkov505 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:45 pm

I'd take a jumpseat over a WT middle seat any day.
Really? A jumpseat is incredibly uncomfortable when sat in for any extended period of time! Speaking from experience given I have been sat in one the whole way from SIN-LHR. By the end of it, your back aches and your bum feels numb.

Given a choice between a WT seat or a jumpseat, in my opinion the WT seat wins hands down!
LTN Phobia likes this.

Last edited by billyb750; Nov 12, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by STVA
From what I have read, in the US at least, only pilots, airline dispatchers, and FAA inspectors can sit in the cockpit. FAs cannot.
For heavens sake BA is not an American carrier and is not regulated by the FAA, therefore FAA rules are somewhat irrelevant here. Try looking at EASA rules, FAA rules are only of passing interest for comparison purposes, they hold no sway on non US airlines regulated by other regulatory bodies.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

For heavens sake BA is not an American carrier and is not regulated by the FAA, therefore FAA rules are somewhat irrelevant here. Try looking at EASA rules, FAA rules are only of passing interest for comparison purposes, they hold no sway on non US airlines regulated by other regulatory bodies.
That reminds me of a AA staff traveller (pilot, as he very loudly proclaimed to BA cabin crew members) on a BA flight, shouting arrogantly at BA cabin crew members that he was allowed to keep his phone on on under the FAA regulations and called them ignorant for not knowing the FAA regulations.

I loved the quick-witted, clear and utterly correct response from the BA CSD who was by then summoned that he should then know that FAA regulations did not extend to BA which is not a US carrier, and please switch it off right now.

The staff traveller kept on grumbling but at least he switched it off. Him and his family proceeded to make a loud nuisance of themselves for the whole flight, never even once said thank you or please to the crew, but that's another matter - he and his family were just unpleasant, arrogant pieces of work.

(This was before the days when small electronic devices were allowed to remain on in flight mode)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:07 am
Suspended

if a charter flight different rules apply. In Australia, a domestic closed charter anyone can sit in the jump seat, if approved by captain.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by southpac
if a charter flight different rules apply. In Australia, a domestic closed charter anyone can sit in the jump seat, if approved by captain.
Of course different rules apply on charter flights. On an MOD charter I had 300 squadies march on board with weapons. What would happen to you if you tried the same trick?
TWCLAM and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC
I also once used the cockpit jumpseat and I was only IT staff - and the NCL office catering manageress was in the other seat. Last flight from LHR - NCL and the Captain very kindly agreed with the despatcher we could use them.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by babats
I also once used the cockpit jumpseat and I was only IT staff - and the NCL office catering manageress was in the other seat. Last flight from LHR - NCL and the Captain very kindly agreed with the despatcher we could use them.
pre 9/11 ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.