FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Red Bull on board? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1939187-red-bull-board.html)

GrahamClarke Nov 6, 2018 4:59 am

Red Bull on board?

Anyone know whether BA serve Red Bull on their flights? If it makes any difference we are flying F to JNB on Thursday evening from LHR. Am asking for my wife. If not, we'll pick up some at the terminal.

Thanks.

Graham

mikeyfly Nov 6, 2018 5:02 am

No they don’t in any cabin

ThatT1Feeling Nov 6, 2018 5:04 am

Coincidentally, I overheard a passenger asking whether there were any energy drinks available from the BoB options last week coming back from CPH. My general desire is to sleep as much as possible on flights - I am not sure I would really want someone too caffeine-enhanced sitting next to me :D (BTW, OP - no offence intended of course!)

squawk Nov 6, 2018 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 30399020)
My general desire is to sleep as much as possible on flights - I am not sure I would really want someone too caffeine-enhanced sitting next to me :D (BTW, OP - no offence intended of course!)

I don't like the taste of energy drinks myself, but a similar effect could be achieved with coffee ;) (though I've not looked at how much coffee you'd have to drink to equal a Red Bull for caffeine intake, and I suspect you'd need 5+ sachets of sugar)

Steve_ZA Nov 6, 2018 5:14 am

I used to drink significant quantities of Red Bull and now avoid it and similar products like the plague. Never would have had some before or during an overnight flight though.

Does WH Smiths even stock it at T5?

Mordac Nov 6, 2018 5:48 am

I asked for it on ET after connecting from a long-haul overnight, and they didn't have any. Ended up having to make do with whatever was their strongest coffee instead.

GrahamClarke Nov 6, 2018 7:32 am

OK, thanks all for the answers. Red Bull helps with my wife's cluster headaches, strong tea or coffee does hot, hence the question. The exact mechanism of how is not well understood, so let's not turn this into a thread on whether it works or not :-)

We'll try and hunt some down at T5 air side.

ThatT1Feeling - no offence taken but can't really refuse to sit next to my wife, can I :-) I don't drink the stuff (or any caffeine) so will be asleep!

Chillax2511 Nov 6, 2018 7:40 am

Not sure about WHSmiths but I know Boots airside will stock it.

windowontheAside Nov 6, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 30399025)
I don't like the taste of energy drinks myself, but a similar effect could be achieved with coffee ;) (though I've not looked at how much coffee you'd have to drink to equal a Red Bull for caffeine intake, and I suspect you'd need 5+ sachets of sugar)

Depends a lot on the coffee, but between 0.25 and 1 cup of coffee would deliver the same caffeine as a can of Red Bull.

seaskybound Nov 6, 2018 7:48 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 30399483)
Depends a lot on the coffee, but between 0.25 and 1 cup of coffee would deliver the same caffeine as a can of Red Bull.

I always assumed it was the other way around. RB more caffeineted than coffee.

Now if I got the ratios above wrong, it because because been caffeine free for a month!

windowontheAside Nov 6, 2018 8:01 am

I think lots of people are confused about caffeine content of coffee vs soft drinks like Coke or Red Bull. A cup of coffee can have between 3 and 8 times the caffeine of a Diet Coke for example.

mpkz Nov 6, 2018 8:05 am

Originally Posted by GrahamClarke (Post 30399438)
OK, thanks all for the answers. Red Bull helps with my wife's cluster headaches, strong tea or coffee does hot, hence the question. The exact mechanism of how is not well understood, so let's not turn this into a thread on whether it works or not :-)

We'll try and hunt some down at T5 air side.

ThatT1Feeling - no offence taken but can't really refuse to sit next to my wife, can I :-) I don't drink the stuff (or any caffeine) so will be asleep!

I bought a Monster this summer from whatever the shop in T5B is (Boots I think).

DVT Nov 6, 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound (Post 30399512)
I always assumed it was the other way around. RB more caffeineted than coffee.

Now if I got the ratios above wrong, it because because been caffeine free for a month!

Depends a lot on the type of coffee, instant vs espresso vs pour over etc etc.

streetmagix Nov 6, 2018 9:04 am

I know for a fact that WHSmiths in T5B stocks both Red Bull and Monster. I often fly after doing 3 or 4 nightshifts (1930 - 0800) and use it to bring my body clock back into line!

GrahamClarke Nov 7, 2018 3:03 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 30399483)

Ah, but no taurine in coffee which apparently is a factor with cluster headaches. Plus my wife doesn't drink coffee, never has!