Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Bull on board?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Red Bull on board?

Anyone know whether BA serve Red Bull on their flights? If it makes any difference we are flying F to JNB on Thursday evening from LHR. Am asking for my wife. If not, we'll pick up some at the terminal.

Thanks.

Graham
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No they don’t in any cabin
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Coincidentally, I overheard a passenger asking whether there were any energy drinks available from the BoB options last week coming back from CPH. My general desire is to sleep as much as possible on flights - I am not sure I would really want someone too caffeine-enhanced sitting next to me (BTW, OP - no offence intended of course!)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
My general desire is to sleep as much as possible on flights - I am not sure I would really want someone too caffeine-enhanced sitting next to me (BTW, OP - no offence intended of course!)
I don't like the taste of energy drinks myself, but a similar effect could be achieved with coffee (though I've not looked at how much coffee you'd have to drink to equal a Red Bull for caffeine intake, and I suspect you'd need 5+ sachets of sugar)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I used to drink significant quantities of Red Bull and now avoid it and similar products like the plague. Never would have had some before or during an overnight flight though.

Does WH Smiths even stock it at T5?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I asked for it on ET after connecting from a long-haul overnight, and they didn't have any. Ended up having to make do with whatever was their strongest coffee instead.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks all for the answers. Red Bull helps with my wife's cluster headaches, strong tea or coffee does hot, hence the question. The exact mechanism of how is not well understood, so let's not turn this into a thread on whether it works or not :-)

We'll try and hunt some down at T5 air side.

ThatT1Feeling - no offence taken but can't really refuse to sit next to my wife, can I :-) I don't drink the stuff (or any caffeine) so will be asleep!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 am

Not sure about WHSmiths but I know Boots airside will stock it.
mikeyfly and GrahamClarke like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by squawk
I don't like the taste of energy drinks myself, but a similar effect could be achieved with coffee (though I've not looked at how much coffee you'd have to drink to equal a Red Bull for caffeine intake, and I suspect you'd need 5+ sachets of sugar)
Depends a lot on the coffee, but between 0.25 and 1 cup of coffee would deliver the same caffeine as a can of Red Bull.
WickedStepMother, SK and squawk like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Depends a lot on the coffee, but between 0.25 and 1 cup of coffee would deliver the same caffeine as a can of Red Bull.
I always assumed it was the other way around. RB more caffeineted than coffee.

Now if I got the ratios above wrong, it because because been caffeine free for a month!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:01 am

I think lots of people are confused about caffeine content of coffee vs soft drinks like Coke or Red Bull. A cup of coffee can have between 3 and 8 times the caffeine of a Diet Coke for example.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
OK, thanks all for the answers. Red Bull helps with my wife's cluster headaches, strong tea or coffee does hot, hence the question. The exact mechanism of how is not well understood, so let's not turn this into a thread on whether it works or not :-)

We'll try and hunt some down at T5 air side.

ThatT1Feeling - no offence taken but can't really refuse to sit next to my wife, can I :-) I don't drink the stuff (or any caffeine) so will be asleep!
I bought a Monster this summer from whatever the shop in T5B is (Boots I think).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:08 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I always assumed it was the other way around. RB more caffeineted than coffee.

Now if I got the ratios above wrong, it because because been caffeine free for a month!
Depends a lot on the type of coffee, instant vs espresso vs pour over etc etc.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
I know for a fact that WHSmiths in T5B stocks both Red Bull and Monster. I often fly after doing 3 or 4 nightshifts (1930 - 0800) and use it to bring my body clock back into line!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Ah, but no taurine in coffee which apparently is a factor with cluster headaches. Plus my wife doesn't drink coffee, never has!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.