Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why did my colleague (Blue) get upgraded and not me (Gold)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did my colleague (Blue) get upgraded and not me (Gold)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Killian_S
A recent upgrade (or lack of) experience on the flight back from Toronto yesterday. I was flying with my work colleague (who is a Bronze member), we were both flying PE and both sitting next to each other. A rather baffling event then ensued at the gate, where my colleague got an upgrade to Club and I, as a Gold member, stayed where I was. My colleague doesn't fly all that much but he got to enjoy the luxuries of a flat bed and haute cuisine!

I was quite confused - I know that there is a secret algorithm that they use but I always thought that the first gating process would be tier status (and then maybe ticket type, etc.). Anyhow, the PE experience was fair and the crew were really good.
For your sake I hope he doesn't become one of those annoying people. The type who persist on telling everyone at work of the day he only a Bronze got upgraded and you a Gold didn't.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA silver
I know upgrades worked for me. We started off flying wt all the time. Then we ended up buying wt+ seats after an upgrade. Then we got upgraded to cw and we did what I had thought was unthinkable- bought cw tickets. We fly wt+ or cw now. An upgrade to First won't work though 😂
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fiona
I know upgrades worked for me. We started off flying wt all the time. Then we ended up buying wt+ seats after an upgrade. Then we got upgraded to cw and we did what I had thought was unthinkable- bought cw tickets. We fly wt+ or cw now. An upgrade to First won't work though 😂
Same I guess...but maybe other factors. My first upgrade was on my first trip to SYD at the gate at SIN at that point I was only a lowly Blue member but it bought some loyalty... I also changed our travel policy to ensure I got to fly flat more often. Then I had my first bump to F on a SYD-SIN and now watch out for cheap cash upgrades or use avios where available to go from CW to F. Would never dream of paying full price though!

However there's more to it than marketing, I regularly do SYD-SIN-LHR and various combinations thereof, I think the split flight (and the fact that I'm often still in PE) makes a big difference as I get bumped around 50% of the time (or have done over the last 12 months at least, significant dry spell before that).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:39 pm

I love this response from corporate wage <<The process isn't much more sophisticated than that of a crack cocaine dealer, frankly. >>
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Haute cuisine, how charming! There is no point in upgrading the gold member, he’s already part of the club!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:45 pm

Well, I've fallen for a similar trick with one of the hotel chains. I had a few stays as a lowly member but they pushed an upgrade on me (to a suite) to make me a taste of the good life. It worked.

In the OP's case, you probably should encourage your friend to close his Executive Club account and fly other airlines. BA might think its tactics aren't working.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I was actually surprised on my last flight, as it was the third last day of service on LHR-YYC. Loads were very light, looked like only 6 people in CW. The second section of CW in a 788 was completely empty. 14 of us in WTP, the middle section of 3 seats per row was completely empty. I did a rough count in the boarding area before we started to board and I estimated ~65 passengers in total.

As far as I could tell, there were no upgrades. At least by the time I boarded in zone 3 there hadn't appeared to be anyone getting a new boarding pass. The zone 1&2 line was very short and went through fast, no new boarding cards were issued. With loads so light I would have thought it would be a good opportunity to let a few people sample CW as an upgrade. Indeed, they could have moved everyone in WTP into the second section of CW and not disturbed passengers who bought CW.

Last edited by Jagboi; Nov 3, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Did the Bronze member's sister know the pilot? Seemed to work nicely for a chap on a long haul flight I was on recently.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME GGL makes a big difference, being regular Gold...well you’ve discovered how important BA think you are 😉

op-up rate as a GGL on long haul flights was around the 50% mark. As GFL (but still earning plenty of TP) it’s less than 10%.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally this is the reason why I've never paid for or redeemed in First, the system is still trying to woo me over to the charms of sitting up front. I had 6 First upgrades in October alone.
While I, as someone who sort of regularly pays for F flights has never received a single long haul upgrade with BA in years as CCR member. As you rightly point out, in my case, they don't need to preach a convert whilst in yours they still think they can change your habits. By contrast, I never pay for CE which I think is a complete waste of money so I get CE upgrades frequently (which frequently reconfirm to me that it is a complete waste of money but I am grateful when it happens nonetheless! )
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
As an eternal Silver I was asking myself the same question; in 2016 I was upgraded (always WTP to CW) on 90% of my flights, by 2017 it went down to a third or so, and so far this year NONE (still 2 WTP to go though, who knows...). Cannot figure this out, and neither could the airport agents, it was simply there...
The art of the upgrade is to give you an experience of F so that hopefully you will trade up and pay for it in future. If you are never going to trade up it makes sense for them to flirt with other passengers.

So in your case I would say they are spot on.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
As another datapoint, my sister (blue, very infrequent flier) and husband were upgraded to J from Y from Toronto last night. Very happy bunny indeed.

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:43 am

Blue. Fly WT / ET maybe 6 times a year max but have now moved so LHR is my local airport, few miles away.

First First / CW flights through Avios redemption earlier this year. Have now paid for First in cash (cheap ORD). I've done it to myself! Will be interested to see what happens when I next book WTP as will be in the lofty heights of Bronze. /Sarcasm

​​​​​​
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to do some searches of the DUT algorithm used by BA, but the gateway to this does not start with your status. It's an important part of the mix certainly, but if - for example - the system has you down as essentially a CW traveller, it won't always rescue you from WTP. On the other hand there is - from BA's perspective - the enticing prospect of luring an innocent Bronzie into the mesh with a well timed upgrade, which may well get him more ensnared into the BAEC web. The process isn't much more sophisticated than that of a crack cocaine dealer, frankly. From a shareholder's point of view - who is the better prospect? Someone who flies on BA a lot and will continue to do so regardless? Or someone who now thinks Álex Cruz loves him? Incidentally this is the reason why I've never paid for or redeemed in First, the system is still trying to woo me over to the charms of sitting up front. I had 6 First upgrades in October alone.
Wow, that's fascinating to me, coming from the US where everything starts with status. What CWS described is always how I figured the POUG worked ("we've already won him over!") but since I don't have BAEC status I never really thought about how opups work.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
IME GGL makes a big difference, being regular Gold...well you’ve discovered how important BA think you are 😉

op-up rate as a GGL on long haul flights was around the 50% mark. As GFL (but still earning plenty of TP) it’s less than 10%.
My track record as Gold was once from WT+ to CW. This was the first time I had booked outside of the economy cabin on BA.
GGL wise, in 3 years, two upgrades from GOT-LHR and LHR-LAX, and they were both on my birthday, so no idea if that and/or GGL helped here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.