Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why did my colleague (Blue) get upgraded and not me (Gold)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC

A recent upgrade (or lack of) experience on the flight back from Toronto yesterday. I was flying with my work colleague (who is a Bronze member), we were both flying PE and both sitting next to each other. A rather baffling event then ensued at the gate, where my colleague got an upgrade to Club and I, as a Gold member, stayed where I was. My colleague doesn't fly all that much but he got to enjoy the luxuries of a flat bed and haute cuisine!

I was quite confused - I know that there is a secret algorithm that they use but I always thought that the first gating process would be tier status (and then maybe ticket type, etc.). Anyhow, the PE experience was fair and the crew were really good.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You may want to do some searches of the DUT algorithm used by BA, but the gateway to this does not start with your status. It's an important part of the mix certainly, but if - for example - the system has you down as essentially a CW traveller, it won't always rescue you from WTP. On the other hand there is - from BA's perspective - the enticing prospect of luring an innocent Bronzie into the mesh with a well timed upgrade, which may well get him more ensnared into the BAEC web. The process isn't much more sophisticated than that of a crack cocaine dealer, frankly. From a shareholder's point of view - who is the better prospect? Someone who flies on BA a lot and will continue to do so regardless? Or someone who now thinks Álex Cruz loves him? Incidentally this is the reason why I've never paid for or redeemed in First, the system is still trying to woo me over to the charms of sitting up front. I had 6 First upgrades in October alone.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Upgrades serve to give someone a taster of what they could have. Once sampled ‘for free’ you may pay for a higher cabin next time.

Its not luck or status status but marketing.

If if you fly up front anyway why upgrade you? Clever.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA gold
We don't know the magic formula or algorithm BA use to allocate operational upgrades. Some things may help, such as status, fare class of ticket, check-in, etc etc etc etc but they are not exclusive - as to prevent passengers from gaming the system and buying a lower class ticket than they otherwise would because they'd know an upgrade would be on the cards.

For example, you may have answered your own question when you said your colleague does not fly all that much (to BA, he may have travelled on other airlines) and an upgrade might have him hooked onto BA and their J product.

Also European airlines works a little differently from airlines in North America in that they only upgrade pax for operational reasons, not simply because there's room up front.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to do some searches of the DUT algorithm used by BA, but the gateway to this does not start with your status. It's an important part of the mix certainly, but if - for example - the system has you down as essentially a CW traveller, it won't always rescue you from WTP. On the other hand there is - from BA's perspective - the enticing prospect of luring an innocent Bronzie into the mesh with a well timed upgrade, which may well get him more ensnared into the BAEC web. The process isn't much more sophisticated than that of a crack cocaine dealer, frankly. From a shareholder's point of view - who is the better prospect? Someone who flies on BA a lot and will continue to do so regardless? Or someone who now thinks Álex Cruz loves him? Incidentally this is the reason why I've never paid for or redeemed in First, the system is still trying to woo me over to the charms of sitting up front. I had 6 First upgrades in October alone.
Interesting final comment (and tactic) regarding First upgrades.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Were you in the same booking? Not sure I’d accept the upgrade if my friend was left behind!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
I would
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A while back we had a family trip to India to see family, myself and hubby had booked in CW all good, then the adult kids wanted to come so 4 of them plus a girlfriend, due to pricing the 5 tickets were booked over 4 different tickets in WTP as is wasn't much more than WT(i can be nice sometimes!). Return flight comes and i can check myself and hubby in but no-one else so i had a feeling my peace may be disturbed and yep on check in all 5 had been upgraded to CW and all them them were blue members, from what i gather CW was also full and a few people got upgraded to first but i wasn't bothered as i follow the rule of pay for the cabin you want then you won't be disappointed. I would never pay and spoil them with CW i had told them they are lucky for WTP.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Were you in the same booking? Not sure I’d accept the upgrade if my friend was left behind!
It seems to be a colleague, not necessarily a friend.
Deltus, anniegray and CloudGazer like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
I would
Me too. And I'd expect the same if the situation was reversed.
trooper, hessbo, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
If they were you friend, they wouldn't let you refuse it!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Forget all this nonsense about DUT algorithms etc. Was the guy good looking?
nancypants, amt, nilsfr69 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I have been upgraded from WT to WTP when MrD wasn’t- it was all on one booking.
He did get an onboard upgrade - I had asked the cabin crew if they could upgrade my husbands seat mate and give me my old seat back.
After the doors closed hubby appeared in WTP sat next door to me.
I am hoping BA want to entice me into F as most of my travel with them recently has been in J (after 3 successive op-ups into J) I have a paid J coming up. Having been trumped by an equipment change 747 UD to 777 it would be nice ..... I have no expectations !
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The process isn't much more sophisticated than that of a crack cocaine dealer, frankly… […]... Or someone who now thinks Álex Cruz loves him?
I know this was perhaps not quite what you were intending, c-w-s, but the mental image this conjured up did make me smile.

Very interesting that the algorithm is still trying to tempt to up to F, too.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
As an eternal Silver I was asking myself the same question; in 2016 I was upgraded (always WTP to CW) on 90% of my flights, by 2017 it went down to a third or so, and so far this year NONE (still 2 WTP to go though, who knows...). Cannot figure this out, and neither could the airport agents, it was simply there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.