Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Proposed ban on morning airport booze

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...orts-faces-ban

The Home Office is set to launch a review of licensing laws at airport terminals across the country, which could signal an end to early-morning drinking in airport bars and restaurants.

Airlines have been calling for a crackdown on alcohol sales before flights following a spike in arrests for drunken behaviour, claiming they are saddled with the consequences of intoxicated passengers.
Airlines have been calling for a crackdown on alcohol sales ? I'll bet that's intensive lobbying by FR and nobody else.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Manchester Airport will be bankrupt within a week!!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by memesweeper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...orts-faces-ban

Airlines have been calling for a crackdown on alcohol sales ? I'll bet that's intensive lobbying by FR and nobody else.
Could you imagine this being enforced in the lounges, or heaven forbid on the planes? The Flyertalk community would be up in arms! 😃
cruisr and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Presumably this ban would not apply to classy stuff like LPGS and JW Blue?
anniegray likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Brown
If the lounges are allowed to still serve booze, you may find a lot more people start booking fares that include lounge access, sometime the difference is only £50 on a SH, some will see it as a challenge!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I was just thinking all the bad behaviour (very little all things considered) i've seen on board has been by what I would term 'posh people in the higher classes of the cabin'?

Surely it would only be just and equal that a refusal to serve alcohol in airport Wetherspoons should be matched by a similar refusal to serve bubbles and the like in lounges?

I'm sure BA would be right behind it if it was law

Or the pubs in question could just police drinking a bit better like they are legally obliged to? I'm not a fan of necking 5 Stellas before my 05:30 Luton Airport flight, but i'm a great fan of people watching those who do (whilst hoping they are not on my flight!).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
What time is morning? If you're crossing multiple time zones, then your idea of a morning drink is different to someone else's.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Presumably if this ban is introduced FR will ban inflight sales until the sun is over the yard arm to ensure they also comply.

If it's sales, it should not affect lounges.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:28 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Overdue. And FWIW I think that it should also apply to airline lounges.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by V10
Overdue. And FWIW I think that it should also apply to airline lounges.
Why? Bringing this topic back to BA, are you aware of any early morning incidents in BA lounges where there has been drink involved?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
If they decide to do this (and it is only a review that seems to be proposed, not action) then it would not be through a ban on sales, but through a change to the licensing permits which would limit hours of serving alcohol – and hence I imagine it would apply to lounges too.

On the other hand, if Heathrow sees this as a hit on its desirability as a transfer airport, with passengers choosing FRA, AMS and CDG instead, then I'm sure they'll be putting pressure on the government to pursue self-regulation, not licensing changes.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
It wouldn't affect me personally in any way, but that's really excessive regulation. Just keep deplaning drunks, that's all.
Gig103 and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Manchester Airport will be bankrupt within a week!!
So will Newcastle Airport!

I enjoy a drink at the airport, no matter what time my flight departs. For me and my friends, the holiday starts at the airport, but for early morning flights, we usually have 1 drink (2 if there's enough time which is very rare).
Restricting sales is all well and good to combat people getting too drunk before a flight in the morning, but takes away that option for the majority of passengers who would have 1 or 2 and cause no hassle at all.
As mentioned in the thread, would lounges be exempt from this rule or have to apply for a licence? Surely you'd see more people paying to go into lounges and getting just as drunk...
What would then happen with those passengers who drink far too much in the afternoon and cause problems on board?
londonsmiler, hungry and bhbloke like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:46 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Why? Bringing this topic back to BA, are you aware of any early morning incidents in BA lounges where there has been drink involved?
I'm not, but as others have mentioned someone who can no longer drink in a public bar could secure access to a lounge if they can do so there instead. For the restriction to be effective it needs to apply everywhere, not based on a presumption that those in the lounges are somehow better behaved or self-regulating (the latter not being necessarily true, in my experience).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I was just thinking all the bad behaviour (very little all things considered) i've seen on board has been by what I would term 'posh people in the higher classes of the cabin'?
Just curious what is posh people classed as these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.