Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the 15 minutes to landing the new 10 minutes to landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire

A few years ago, the flight crew would consistently give a heads up at 10 minutes to landing on short haul. Occasionally there was the 15-minute-to-landing or even 20 minutes, which would normally coincide with a not very brilliant cabin crew. You may draw your own conclusions from that.

In the last two years or so the ten-minutes-to-landing went from an endangered species to an actual extinct one, as all flights I've been are given the heads up at either 15 or 20 minutes.

Have the SOP changed?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Sinceh the introduction of BoB there are times it is 15 minutes rather than 10 minutes that is announced.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Sinceh the introduction of BoB there are times it is 15 minutes rather than 10 minutes that is announced.
I honestly don't recall ten minutes in a very long time.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As scottishpoet noted it is sometimes 15 mins now. However the majority of my flights are still 10 minutes (including many within the last few weeks), if inbound to LHR that usually comes on leaving the hold. I don’t recall ever hearing 20 mins on short haul.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Had a 10 min warning just yesterday.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:52 pm

Same as above. I've flown to BHD and EDI in the past few weeks and both have been 10 minutes to landing. Maybe they say 15 mins if they want to give the cabin crew a heads up that it might be a choppy landing and need to get the carts away a bit earlier. Shot in the dark that one so don't take it as gospel
Britflyer18 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Exec
The SOP has not changed, and the seat belt signs will come on at 10 minutes to landing on shorthaul flights.

Occasionally, by agreement between the operating crew, this may be changed to 15 minutes. This could be for a variety of reasons - usually, but not always weather related; another example might be if the flight is particularly busy and a lot of passengers are not seated (i.e. queuing for toilets etc.) with about 20 minutes left of the flight. In this case it is likely the crew will need more than 10 minutes to secure the cabin, and they will ask the Captain to bring the 10 minute call forward to 15 minutes (A321 CEOs !)

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Any particular reason why it tends to be 20 minutes for long haul? More to do I guess, but then again more crew.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have had a 20 min to landing call on a flight to MAD ( this was the 777 so understandable) and sometimes coming into London the 10min call becomes more like 15mins.

On long hauls the crew may have a lot of seats to encourage pax to put in the take off positon ( takes longer in CW and F) as well as ensuring the CW and F floor space is clear ( just one possible reason- I'm sure there are better reasons))

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I had "just under ten minutes" only the other day. Always seems to be 20 on long haul. And a flight deck announcement 40 minutes before landing, which is usually my wake up call ��
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:31 pm

Usually, on short haul, flight crew will give their little speech at 20 (ish) ish mins to landing, with another warning of 10 mins to landing followed by the seat belt sign. This is all time permitting though and tends to vary slightly. Sometimes you just get a 10 min warning if the FC have been busy.
On long haul we get 40 minutes and 20 minutes and this is more consistent.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
At least to me, top of descent on long haul is about 45 minutes before, so it seems quite plausible to me that the flight crew would easily be able to announce 40 minutes shortly after beginning descent. To me, the decrease in engine power at TOD is my cue to get my stuff organised, head for the toilet, etc, to beat the queue at the 40 minute announcement where everyone rushes the lavs.
Robespierre likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I’m just thankful they don’t spend 5 minutes repeating the same “exclusive and new” credit card offer that they do on every AA flight.
golfmad likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
It sometimes seems like the longest 10 minutes of my life and I often wonder if a BA minute is actually 90 seconds long.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I always seem to get 20 minutes chat and 10 minutes call on short haul and 40 minutes "hello again" and 20 minutes call on long haul. I have heard the odd 15 minutes short haul but that remains rare in my experience. What does happen is that the 20 minutes chat is then followed by the 10 minutes call about 2 minutes later when the cockpit are offered a shortcut! (other times, of course, the 10 minutes call really comes 30 minutes before landing if we are sentenced to the LHR holding patter for a while...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.