Wiki Posts
Search

Tivat: possible new BA destination?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I was in Kotor in May and it's breathtakingly beautiful. Transfer time from DBV was about 40 mins @LTNPhobia whilst DBV obviously is in Croatia we 100% did not pass through a border post in either direction( I have no idea if this is a recent thing or not).
And when the border controls are active (which they seem to do from time to time), they can create an impressive queue during busy periods. That's what we've been in from time to time. They don't always do it but when they do, it can add a couple of hours to the journey, as we experienced a number of times.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 30, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
WIll it become more attractive to take the ferry Ploče to Trpanj to remain in Croatia and in the Schengen zone when driving between the Dubrovnik area and the rest of Croatia?

Not that that helps much with getting to Tivit by road from Croatia, it looks like you might as well leave the Schengen Area near Neum and continue through Bosnia and Hercegovina into Montenegro.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Border crossing on land between Tivat and Dubrovnik is a right pain in summer, so I am not surprised in that respect.

I would like someone (non-LCC) operating scheduled services from the UK to Tivat since transport is a major factor that's ruled out an annual contract at Porto Montenegro for us so far (helicopter charter to/from DBV every time is not an option!).
Montenegro Airlines fly direct Gatwick - Tivat during the summer on certain days which offers Business Class in addition to Economy. I do think you're right though, there are some stunning resorts along the northern Montenegrin coast where a full service option would sit well with the target audience. Not only The Regent Porto Montenegro but also Aman Sveti Stefan and now the Chedi Lustica Bay that opened earlier this year are all in high demand with guests who want to travel comfortably but don't necessarily extend into the private jet market. The road transfer to DBV is a bind and relatively long in duration.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
Not that that helps much with getting to Tivit by road from Croatia, it looks like you might as well leave the Schengen Area near Neum and continue through Bosnia and Hercegovina into Montenegro.
I’m led to believe the roads connecting Neum to the rest of Bosnia are very mountainous and not very good quality. But I’ve not yet been brave enough to drive up that way and find out for myself.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal

I’m led to believe the roads connecting Neum to the rest of Bosnia are very mountainous and not very good quality. But I’ve not yet been brave enough to drive up that way and find out for myself.
I recall we did that accidentally (= somehow managed to get lost) and almost ended up on non-roads.

Anyway, LHR to Tivat BA flights could result in Porto Montenegro getting our annual berth contract, although it still leaves issues with winter access, as I'm sure it will be summer only.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Beautiful part of the world, but I don't believe it's even the biggest airport in Montenegro. I can only imagine that BA start operating this as a leisure route ex LGW.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Anyway, LHR to Tivat BA flights could result in Porto Montenegro getting our annual berth contract, although it still leaves issues with winter access, as I'm sure it will be summer only.
What will you do if BA abandons the route after a year and noone else takes it on? Are your contracts as flexible as BA is, ahem, flighty?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
What will you do if BA abandons the route after a year and noone else takes it on? Are your contracts as flexible as BA is, ahem, flighty?
It's an yearly contract I'd take it elsewhere but then, if we really like it there, we'd wear the transport pain.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Easyjet have operated to Tivat for at least a couple of summers from LGW and provided you book three seats for two preferably in the front row, Club Easyjet is fine. After all, the only thing you miss out on is BA food which to me is an advantage.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
There are some seriously impressive monster yachts down there.

It's like a who's who of money launderers.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I spoke at a conference in Montenegro last year and was blown away by how beautiful the country was.

However getting there from Edinburgh was a right pain. 3 flights in each direction.

There’s been the possibility of work there but the trip has put me off. A BA flight would at least make the journey a little more palatable.
I agree with all the points that you have made. I have to travel there annually for a 7 day conference in the low season (Nov) and delegates come from across Europe. It is an absolute pain to get to but we are happy to go because of the 5* hotel in Budva and the weather which is always warmer than UK. To get there I take BA to Zagreb, then Air Croatia to Dubrovnik then a 90 minute or so drive with ferry to Budva... a pain and the timings are not brilliant either. My return journey means a start at 0300 to ensure I catch the 0630 flight to Zagreb to catch my BA flight.
edi-traveller likes this.

Last edited by IntVic; Oct 31, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
There are some seriously impressive monster yachts down there.

It's like a who's who of money launderers.
Hahaha, so true. It's pretty stunning there but a bit dodgy (but as an ordinary, bog standard people I suspect if anything it simply reinforces security presence in the area so it may not necessarily be a negative for us).

Saying that, those monster yachts are not unusual in the Adriatic, and also around some Greek islands (particularly Cyclades). Sailed past all sorts of interesting ones like Eclipse, Maltese Falcon and so many others that are a little less spectacular ones no longer even get our attention.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I suspect with the golf and O&O also opening, growth of Porto Montenegro and awareness of Kotor as an old town worth visiting this will become a staple alongside the Dubrovnic and Tirana routes. However the airport is tiny and chaotic but with proper regular flights perhaps improvements will come in due course. Podgorica a better airport but a 1-1.5hr drive from the coast.....

I'll also add that Sveti Stefan is an awesome hotel, ridiculously good spa, and indeed is being expanded though staying on the island is the reason to be there.

Last edited by YClass; Oct 31, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:00 am

BA to Tivat would be great. Kotor and surounding scenery is stunning.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I very much wish for a HAN on a 788 or A350

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.