Wiki Posts
Search

Tivat: possible new BA destination?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Tivat: possible new BA destination?

According to this article in one of Montenegro‘s websites, BA is preparing to launch flights to Tivat.
I guess this might happen as they are taliking about 2 weekly flights from next summer. Would it be LHR, LGW or even LCY?
British Airways: London-Tivat-London Line
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Surprised by that, close to Dubrovnik and I think also needs a special sign off to land there ?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Surprised by that, close to Dubrovnik
Border crossing on land between Tivat and Dubrovnik is a right pain in summer, so I am not surprised in that respect.

I would like someone (non-LCC) operating scheduled services from the UK to Tivat since transport is a major factor that's ruled out an annual contract at Porto Montenegro for us so far (helicopter charter to/from DBV every time is not an option!).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 30, 2018 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
This would be very welcome if confirmed! Have had several excellent holidays (some time ago now) in the Kotor / Prčanj / Budva area, but always had to route LHR-BEG and then transfer to old JAT / Montonegro Airlines down to TIV.

I'm guessing this would be a LGW route over the Summer.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Originally Posted by DrBenO
This would be very welcome if confirmed! Have had several excellent holidays (some time ago now) in the Kotor / Prčanj / Budva area, but always had to route LHR-BEG and then transfer to old JAT / Montonegro Airlines down to TIV.

I'm guessing this would be a LGW route over the Summer.
Several operators do Gatwick currently including Easyjet so maybe they'll try it from LHR?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6948
According to this article in one of Montenegro‘s websites, BA is preparing to launch flights to Tivat.
I guess this might happen as they are taliking about 2 weekly flights from next summer. Would it be LHR, LGW or even LCY?
British Airways: London-Tivat-London Line

I think we are all very grateful that your morning newspaper intake stretches to the Total Montenegro News, and you do have a good track record in this area, given the Durban route. Plus it is the case that we often get local based leaks before BA's own media machine ambles into life. The details - twice a week in summer, are particularly plausible. The other factor here is that Tivat is an occasional charter destination for BA and there seems to be someone in Waterside who quite rightly asks "why are we doing this flying for other companies?". So they launch it, try it, kill it if it's not going to work, or shift it to LGW, depending on the numbers and money. JMK and JTR were surprises when they were launched but have turned into money printing machines.
HIDDY, nivsy, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I think we are all very grateful that your morning newspaper intake stretches to the Total Montenegro News, and you do have a good track record in this area, given the Durban route. Plus it is the case that we often get local based leaks before BA's own media machine ambles into life. The details - twice a week in summer, are particularly plausible. The other factor here is that Tivat is an occasional charter destination for BA and there seems to be someone in Waterside who quite rightly asks "why are we doing this flying for other companies?". So they launch it, try it, kill it if it's not going to work, or shift it to LGW, depending on the numbers and money. JMK and JTR were surprises when they were launched but have turned into money printing machines.
well hopefully I will still be right this time. I have the feeling we haven‘t seen all summer 2019 changes yet.
And about converting charters to regular flights, I could see Lemnos being added. It has been operating as a charter for some time now from LHR. Could that be a possibility?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:51 am

This airport actually beats Gibraltar for the thrill. I seem to remember the typical descent comes through deep mountain valleys, then you get sharp turns to land with a stop hopefully before the plane goes into the Bay of Kotor.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
.................I seem to remember the typical descent comes through deep mountain valleys, then you get sharp turns to land with a stop hopefully before the plane goes into the Bay of Kotor.
I trust we can safely interpret this as the plane stops rather than going into the Bay of Kotor ............ as opposed to ..... the plane stops ; and then continues into the Bay of Kotor

I’m sure you mean the latter ^
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:36 am

To be honest I think that would be semantics for most people

Tivat approach
subject2load and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I spoke at a conference in Montenegro last year and was blown away by how beautiful the country was.

However getting there from Edinburgh was a right pain. 3 flights in each direction.

There’s been the possibility of work there but the trip has put me off. A BA flight would at least make the journey a little more palatable.

Last edited by edi-traveller; Oct 30, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
While Kotor is close enough to DBV and at the moment the border crossing is a pain it's about to get a whole lot worse. In the course of the next twelve months Croatia is expected to join the Schengen Area and as such will be an external land border for it. The infrastructure is already in place and if you visit Croatia at present you will experience very thorough checks in preparation and these will only grow as the integrity of the border becomes more serious not less.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I was in Kotor in May and it's breathtakingly beautiful. Transfer time from DBV was about 40 mins @LTNPhobia whilst DBV obviously is in Croatia we 100% did not pass through a border post in either direction( I have no idea if this is a recent thing or not). We did when visiting Mostar for the day and totally agree it's a pain in the bum. I THINK the border post ( between DBV & TIV/ Kotor)is one of those that has been all but eliminated under the various friendship agreements. I'm not going to say it doesn't exist anymore simply that if it's there we drove through it both ways without stopping and without even realising it was there whereas with the journey from Kotor to Mostar you couldn't miss the multiple posts and the ever so quick & efficient staff there placed all of 50 yards apart.

Hopefully if BA do fly to TIV they can convince the airport operators to invest abit more in a lounge than they do at DBV where asking for tomato juice was met with looks of incredulity. TIV needing it's own certification might be an issue of course but it would be great to see BA flying there as journey time from TIV to Kotor/ Porto Montenegro is all of 10-15 mins.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Maybe they can work with the Portuguese to have a joint certification for TIV and FNC in one course
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I was in Kotor in May and it's breathtakingly beautiful. Transfer time from DBV was about 40 mins @LTNPhobia whilst DBV obviously is in Croatia we 100% did not pass through a border post in either direction( I have no idea if this is a recent thing or not). We did when visiting Mostar for the day and totally agree it's a pain in the bum. I THINK the border post ( between DBV & TIV/ Kotor)is one of those that has been all but eliminated under the various friendship agreements. I'm not going to say it doesn't exist anymore simply that if it's there we drove through it both ways without stopping and without even realising it was there whereas with the journey from Kotor to Mostar you couldn't miss the multiple posts and the ever so quick & efficient staff there placed all of 50 yards apart.
Generally speaking when driving between Dubrovnik and Mostar you enter Bosnia just before the town of Neum and then leave it again shortly afterwards before re-entering Bosnia again to the north. So three border crossings, all with the potential for exit and entry checks at each one. This is Neum crossingn are both on the main route between Dubrovnik and Western, Central and Northern Europe so delays are common in Summer.

The point that was being made above is that if and when Croatia joins the Schengen free travel area the EU will expect it to enforce border checks with any non-Schengen countries, including Montenegro, as it is enforcing the border to the whole Schengen area. The effective enforcement of this border across the area has been traditionally mixed, but since the migrant crisis the EU has made enforcing it a priority. This would supersede any bilateral arrangements that currently exist between Croatia and Montenegro. However although Croatia are moving down the path to fully implementing Schengen my understanding is that a date is yet to be set by the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.