Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a TP Run in February

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Suggestions for a TP Run in February

Worst case scenario I might be 460 TP short to keep Gold. Any suggestions for a TP run in February that could be done in not more than four days? Other OW airlines are fine as I am interested in TP not in Avios. Currently, Gold, two long-haul business trips (Nov & January) may be canceled leaving me short.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Have you had a look at the topic dedicated to Tier Point runs? You should find lots of inspiration there:
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:39 am

XXX-DOH-BKK-DOH-XXX on QR for 560. XXX being a suitable UK airport. The weather in FEB can be unpredictable with northern airports, including northern USA.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That's almost a 1/3 of the TPs needed for gold.

I'd be working out whether the benefits of gold over silver are worth the cost of getting that many TPs
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LON-DUB-PHL-PHX would deliver with some to spare. Possibly not too expensive, but it all depends on your parameters.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
XXX-DOH-BKK-DOH-XXX on QR for 560. XXX being a suitable UK airport. The weather in FEB can be unpredictable with northern airports, including northern USA.
Thank you for your advice, that is what I am inclined to do. Especially since there are some interesting fares from the EU.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That's almost a 1/3 of the TPs needed for gold.

I'd be working out whether the benefits of gold over silver are worth the cost of getting that many TPs
Personally, I am keen to keep Gold for three reasons (1) First class check-in at LHR, (2) Row 1 in CE. I am a below the knee amputee so I cannot use the emergency row for extra legroom and (3) free seat selection

For everything else... silver would be fine.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
LHR-DOH-PEN with QR return is giving you 560 TPs and available around £1,600 which is good.

If your lucky you can get Qsuites or A380
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
With the exception of reason 1 I think you can get the rest as Silver( waits to be corrected lol). I can see why you may want to keep the Gold of course. Is price a driver as well or is more keeping status? In that time, four days, im sure you could do a couple of MLA or HEL runs for cheaper although I haven't looked tbf. Feb' you would still be fine for multiple HEL runs on the same day as they wouldn't have cut the service back by then.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
With the exception of reason 1 I think you can get the rest as Silver( waits to be corrected lol).
As you wish

Row 1 in CE only opens up to Silvers (and others) around T-72, until that point it is reserved for Golds and so a GCH has a considerably greater chance to secure it on any given flight.

There are some other differences in seat selection between GCH and SCH as well, for example GCHs don't pay for emergency exits in Y on longhaul although I appreciate this is not relevant to the OP. They can also secure e.g. WTP bulkhead seats at the time of booking.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Thanks @BertieBadger *continues his BA learning
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:22 am

If time is critical, then a BTB in First to almost anywhere would earn 420 TP and it would be possible to fit in a CE BTB on the arrival day for another 80, making 500 TP in 48 hours.

An alternative avoiding the need for a CE hop after the First return would be to go to NRT or SIN, earning 480 TP for the BTB.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RGS5526
If time is critical, then a BTB in First to almost anywhere would earn 420 TP and it would be possible to fit in a CE BTB on the arrival day for another 80, making 500 TP in 48 hours.

An alternative avoiding the need for a CE hop after the First return would be to go to NRT or SIN, earning 480 TP for the BTB.
Technically, you're right (and could be done over half a very pleasant weekend indeed in SIN!) but the cost would be phenomenal (even if booked with an ex-EU from Milan as an I fare and airport-upgraded, etc at £600. you would be looking at £4,400 before stopovers (2xAUPs plus 2xCW returns), for around £10/TP.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The AMS-BKK via LHR-HKG/KUL/SIN would do the job. Haven't checked availability but was widely available.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA - Gold
Originally Posted by tomparskate
LHR-DOH-PEN with QR return is giving you 560 TPs and available around £1,600 which is good.

If your lucky you can get Qsuites or A380

This looks quite attractive. I've never booked through a different airlines site before though. Is it as simple as entering your BAEC details and then you're credited TP and Avios after as normal? Will the booking show on the BA app?

Sorry to hijack!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.